Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
Omg i don't know what I am going to do anymore. I am so sick of apple in general for the horrible service they gave me its unbelievable a company can behave this way. I went to the store today to get the new harddrive, they had my computer for 5 minutes, and now I come home and see the ENTIRE top lid COMPLETELY scratched! These are so deep I don't know how they were able to do this. They changed the harddrive infront of me, they turned it over so the lid was on the table, I asked politely if he can put something in between both surfaces and he said oh, the tables clean theres no dust on it. Like wtf, I just called the apple support line and they said they can't do anything about it aswell, I have to go back to the store and complain. Like I don't know what to do, I can't go back there like what are they going to say, it was there before. :mad: I need some advice on this :(

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
The only thing you could do (IMHO) is to go to the store, be very nice, be honest and ask what they can offer. Maybe they will offer a repair, but don't expect it.

I believe you when you are saying that it happened in the store, but since you left after the replacement without a complaint, they don't have to do anything. After all, everone could just drop in and say that their item was delivered scratched or that the store broke the item when doing a replacement or explaining a function.

I have been in situations like this, and being open, honest and cooperative gets you the closest to what you need / deserve.

I think the max you can get out of this is a voucher or small piece of hardware (mouse or sleeve) as a compromise. If I would be the owner of the shop I wouldn't go as far as to offer a complete repair (which is expensive).

Why didn't you complaint immediately, since you were already worried when the replacement was being performed?

Good luck with it.

edit: if you can get the repairguy to admit that he might have scratched it you are saved.. If he denies: Good luck

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
thats not the worst thing

What really sucks that I hate more than anything else is the fact that they use those horrible hard tables for their repairs. ITS GONNA SCRATCH THE MACBOOK guaranteed hundred percent. So far since my two harddrive repairs, I felt bad on the first one (nothing close to this) so i used the trusty brasso trick (worked btw). I can't do that again, not in this condition. Like, they can't use a piece of fabric to lay the macbook if its on the lid, that would spare so many complaints like these. THE WORST PART is I recommended that, and the guy said its okay, its clean. I had to sit there and watch it for the second time, and I was like its okay it shouldnt bother me this much. After seeing it with a bunch 6 cm wide scratches (no exaggerations), I just really dislike apple.

I dont want to return to that store. I've been there so many times I know how everyone looks by now lol, they are gonna see me and go, oh another problem. But if I complain that is going to gather alot of attention. Is there a way for me to call them and do it privately, or is that not how apple works :(

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Yeah, if they scratched or harmed your stuff in any way, they should be held responsible. Stand up for yourself and knock some heads... ;)

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Your best bet would be to return to the store physically and explain the situation in a calm, open, honest way. If the clerk doesn't help, ask for the manager and do the same again. If he doesn't help you can also write a letter (don't call, it's not documented that way, and they can deny all promises they make).

If they don't respond to a friendly letter, write again, but this time threaten to inform the press (online and print). It has worked for me in one instance with another software company starting with M that refused to replace a faulty operating system disc.

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
They also scratched my macbook during a repair once. I noticed it right away and spoke with a manager and they replaced it with a new one right then and there.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
I agree with all of you guys, but he left the store before complaining that there were scratches. For all the store knows he could have been tapdancing on his Macbok at home (although that would cause indentations, not scratches I guess...:rolleyes:), so going in with guns ablaze is IMHO not a good idea.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
Came back from the apple store

Okay so I just came back from the Sherway Apple Store (again) and this time spoke to the manager directly. He was very sympathetic for what happpened and wants to help me out with my situation. Since the genius that did the damage went home the manager agreed that he would call me back tomorrow and say whats going to happen (after he speaks to the genius).
Sooooo that's good news right :rolleyes:

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Don't hate on Apple directly. Hate on that Apple store. One of two things are happening. 1. There is not enough training going on with the employees to show them the correct way to do these repairs. Heck, the online tutorials tell you to place a clean cloth down when you do something like this. 2. There is poor oversight and management at the store in general. I think 1 begets two anyway and vice versa.

Simply put, they are cutting corners at this store and the managers are overlooking it and have not show the *alls to take corrective action.

If I were you, if you have the option, I would look for another Apple reseller in your area for future service. I might also consider writing Apple to share with them the poor service you received. It is one thing for them to take ownership of the problem and fix it, but for them to take corrective action so it does not happen again is something else altogether.

JE-Illustration

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Toledo, OH
I just got certified recently and the whole time studying they always stress the importance of using a rubber mat with a anti static wrist protection. I know that it's probably unlikely for that to happen, but if they are replacing a hard drive in front of you or even repairing a lap top on the counter, shouldn't they have this protective rubber mat down that they harp about in the study material? Or at least have a clean soft towel handy. Just my 2 cents.

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
Omg i don't know what I am going to do anymore. I am so sick of apple in general for the horrible service they gave me its unbelievable a company can behave this way. I went to the store today to get the new harddrive, they had my computer for 5 minutes, and now I come home and see the ENTIRE top lid COMPLETELY scratched! These are so deep I don't know how they were able to do this. They changed the harddrive infront of me, they turned it over so the lid was on the table, I asked politely if he can put something in between both surfaces and he said oh, the tables clean theres no dust on it. Like wtf, I just called the apple support line and they said they can't do anything about it aswell, I have to go back to the store and complain. Like I don't know what to do, I can't go back there like what are they going to say, it was there before. :mad: I need some advice on this :(

that sounds like something that they would do

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
Ok so I spoke to the manager and they agreed on replacing the top case for the macbook, but I didn't ask if I can just get a replacement (too much?).
Sooo it's nice they are going to fix the mistake they made, but I still hope I can get a new display since whenever I mention it they fail to do anything about it.
You think if I come back after the replacement has been shipped I can asked about the display too, or perhaps a new computer? I don't really know how this works, maybe some of you are more knowledgeable at Apple repairs than me.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Ok so I spoke to the manager and they agreed on replacing the top case for the macbook, but I didn't ask if I can just get a replacement (too much?).
Sooo it's nice they are going to fix the mistake they made, but I still hope I can get a new display since whenever I mention it they fail to do anything about it.
You think if I come back after the replacement has been shipped I can asked about the display too, or perhaps a new computer? I don't really know how this works, maybe some of you are more knowledgeable at Apple repairs than me.

Be happy they are doing what they are doing...dont push it.

They fixed the issues and your computer should run and look like new.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
I guess I didn't mention the screen in this thread yet. Basically my computer has really bad backlight bleed on the bottom where some spots would pertrude more to the centre, making it look dirty in a way. Also there are black spots around the screen that been there ever since I got it. I thought it was normal since I never had a laptop before or used one for a long enough time to notice, but its definately NOT normal. Plus whenever I mention this at the Apple Store they say its bruised by personal use, which it clearly is not the case.

Jecko024

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
this happened to my mom as well, and she didn't notice for a week or so, by which time she figured it was too late.....So now she has a giant scratch across the top of her case.....and it was there because the her macbook pro was bending at the cd/dvd drive, so they actually took it, and bent it back for her, telling her it was her fault, when it really wasnt.....

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
I guess I didn't mention the screen in this thread yet. Basically my computer has really bad backlight bleed on the bottom where some spots would pertrude more to the centre, making it look dirty in a way. Also there are black spots around the screen that been there ever since I got it. I thought it was normal since I never had a laptop before or used one for a long enough time to notice, but its definately NOT normal. Plus whenever I mention this at the Apple Store they say its bruised by personal use, which it clearly is not the case.

Well, I waited a 3+ months before going to an Apple store to have my back light problem fixed. I didn't have to argue with them or anything. They took it to the back room, noticed it, and said they would replace it. Filled out the paper work and was on my way (it's still getting repaired, they didn't have a clam shell there).

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
Well, I waited a 3+ months before going to an Apple store to have my back light problem fixed. I didn't have to argue with them or anything. They took it to the back room, noticed it, and said they would replace it. Filled out the paper work and was on my way (it's still getting repaired, they didn't have a clam shell there).

what was the problem with the backlighting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.