Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
I've read that the charging cables are different for the sport editions verses the other 2. Can any one confirm?

thechungster

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
From brief unboxing videos, it seemed to me the sport had a white plastic puck as opposed to the metal one? May just be the angle of lighting in the videos but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

MitchBRAH

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Can confirm this though.

The Cable that comes with the SS version is silver in design, while the 2m Cable purchased separately is also the same silver design.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
There is only one type of charger (in two lengths) you can buy separately so I'm going to go with no.

Random pictures from the internet...

Apple Watch sport:

xwlEEgg.jpg

apple_watch_unboxing.jpg

Apple Watch:

image-800x1067.jpg

watch-unboxing-3.gif

So, the sport edition is plastic and the others are metal? I hope this doesn't mess up 3rd party displays.:eek:

I'm sure I'll love my sport, but now I kinda wish I would have saved up a few more hundred to get the stainless steel. Oh well. Maybe next time!

----------

Yep, sports is plastic and box is smaller.
Here's a pic of both: http://m.imgur.com/a/jFsCe

Beat me to it! Awesome thank you!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I don't think it really matters though. As long as it charges the Watch, it's fine by me.

Question is, since Apple lists the 12w brick as an accessory can the Watch charge at 2.1A with that tiny battery? If so, charging could be REAL quick.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
That's what I also noticed. The Sport comes with a plastic charger, the other two models come with a brushed metal one like the one displayed on the site. Apple is misleading its customers big time. They don't describe the materials under box contents, show only the metal one in product shots, and only sell the metal charger as an accessory.

You can buy the metal one for $29.

MKLG2

TheLastOfConnor

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Then you would be incorrect on this occasion ;)

I thought we already knew this. Cannot remember where but I read it a few weeks ago.

Not really...

They're the same charger and completely interchangeable, just one has a plastic case and the other metal.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Someone would buy the SS watch just because the charger is brushed metal instead of plastic?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
How hard would it be to paint the plastic one black? I seriously hate everything white

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.