Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dankermemes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
With each generation, iPhones are becoming more and more scratch-prone, to the point applying a screen protector after unboxing is a must. I remember times you could just use your phone without worrying it will get scratched from pocket lint. I blame clickbait YouTubers that appeal to the lowest common denominator with their drop "test" and scratch "test" videos, which, unfortunately, puts pressure on companies making softer and softer screens to avoid shattering in those "tests".
I hate that I'm forced to use screen protectors that don't have as good of a feel, get chipped corners, and generally look worse just because people are basing their purchase decisions on which phone looks better when dropped from a 3rd story by a dude who, without YouTube channel, would be working in Starbucks.

(Btw no hate on anyone who can get easy ad revenue from tech-illiterate people, I just wish it didn't negatively impact product design).

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
I don't understand. No one is forcing you to use a screen protector. That choice is on you. If you don't want to use a screen protector, don't.

There are people who use their phones without screen protectors and don't care about getting micro scratches or scratches. Their phone is a tool for them.

There are people who do care about scratches and will put on a screen protector.

To each their own.

dankermemes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
But they do force me though.. In 5S/6S/8/X days the glass on the screen was noticeably harder - which was not perfect for drop protection, but also meant that scratches on the screen did not appear as easily. Now, because people expect for the phone display to not crack when they forget theirs on a roof of an SUV and speed off, people who are not that clumsy suffer because the glass is so soft it can get scratched if you have not moisturized your hands one day.

Reactions: Wizec

Orka

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2012
Moscow, Russia
Yes, i think you have a point. I had iPhone 6 for almost three years, didn’t put screen protector on and there was not a single scratch, and I also did drop it several times. My phones afterwards (iPhone X and now iPhone 12 Pro Max) do have screen screen protectors installed.

The1Biz

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2018
I've had an iPhone since the 3G. I always put on a screen protector, glass or plastic film, and a case.

I've never broken a screen, the worst is when I slipped on ice with my phone in my hand and when I caught my balance I sort of flung my phone. That was just a few screen scratches. Of friends, usually but not always the glass protector will take the force of a drop. It's like getting a second chance.

As an object that has glass on the front and back, expecting it to stay unblemished without any sort of protection seems kind of foolish. I mean one drop the wrong way, and the screen is a goner.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Never used a screen protector and I'm not sure if the difference in scratching has changed. I just looked at a few of my old phones; 3G looks really good with hardly any scratch, 6S also looks really good, 8 looks really scratched up, XR looks good but isn't used much, 11 looks good and clear and has been heavily used, 13 looks great.

I've broken a few phones. Completely smashed a 6S and a 7 plus by dropping them or something (still have them) and I've definitely washed a phone in a washing machine (I think a 5).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pierre535

Bruno de Malaisie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2022
With each generation, iPhones are becoming more and more scratch-prone, to the point applying a screen protector after unboxing is a must. I remember times you could just use your phone without worrying it will get scratched from pocket lint. I blame clickbait YouTubers that appeal to the lowest common denominator with their drop "test" and scratch "test" videos, which, unfortunately, puts pressure on companies making softer and softer screens to avoid shattering in those "tests".
I hate that I'm forced to use screen protectors that don't have as good of a feel, get chipped corners, and generally look worse just because people are basing their purchase decisions on which phone looks better when dropped from a 3rd story by a dude who, without YouTube channel, would be working in Starbucks.

(Btw no hate on anyone who can get easy ad revenue from tech-illiterate people, I just wish it didn't negatively impact product design).
Can't agree more!!!!

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
But they do force me though.. In 5S/6S/8/X days the glass on the screen was noticeably harder - which was not perfect for drop protection, but also meant that scratches on the screen did not appear as easily. Now, because people expect for the phone display to not crack when they forget theirs on a roof of an SUV and speed off, people who are not that clumsy suffer because the glass is so soft it can get scratched if you have not moisturized your hands one day.
What’s the weight of the 5S? What’s the weight of the 14PM? Don’t you think this makes a difference if dropped?

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
For me it’s a positive. Knowing that these hardness and toughness properties are trade offs:

Apple provides a screen that doesn’t shatter easily.

I can then buy a tempered glass screen protector to put on it as soon as it comes out of the box, which is very scratch resistant. Now it doesn’t scratch in my pocket and if I drop it, likely only the disposable screen protector gets damaged.

I’ve never noticed a problem with the screen protector on my iPhone 14 Pro.

ESR for iPhone 14 Pro Screen Protector, Easy Installation Frame, Military-Grade Protection, Ultra Tough, Scratch Resistant, Tempered-Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 14 Pro, 3 Pack https://www.amazon.com/ESR-Tempered-Glass-iPhone-Pro-Military-Grade/dp/B0B6VBSKKT

Reactions: Splitrail

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve always used screen protectors, so I’d rather have the most shatter-resistant screen possible.

Reactions: Splitrail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.