Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
The main thing I'm learning fro your guide is confirmation that much of my problem is due to having a rather old mac. It has just become increasingly underpowered. So it will have to wait until my current mac gives up on me and I get a new mac.

Something I have not mentioned on this forum is that I have been playing Drakensang Online. It is free and after 5 months playing I remain impressed with the quality of the graphics and how the game is run. And my old mac retina has no problems playing it!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Regarding the link I agree:
Subscription: World of Warcraft
Pay Once: Elder Scrolls Online
Free to Play: Guild Wars

However, I would not call, ARK:Survival Evolved an MMORPG or an MMO. The servers are small (max 70, but usually around 5-30 players) and there are zero quests, zero A.I. interaction other than killing or taming dinos. Instead, I'd describe it as an solo/multiplayer/offline/online Sandbox.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
The main thing I'm learning fro your guide is confirmation that much of my problem is due to having a rather old mac. It has just become increasingly underpowered. So it will have to wait until my current mac gives up on me and I get a new mac.

Something I have not mentioned on this forum is that I have been playing Drakensang Online. It is free and after 5 months playing I remain impressed with the quality of the graphics and how the game is run. And my old mac retina has no problems playing it!

I have been posting about this game in a thread of some 30 posts on the playbymail.net website. It can be read here: http://playbymail.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=3120&drakensang

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Regarding the link I agree:
Subscription: World of Warcraft
Pay Once: Elder Scrolls Online
Free to Play: Guild Wars

However, I would not call, ARK:Survival Evolved an MMORPG or an MMO. The servers are small (max 70, but usually around 5-30 players) and there are zero quests, zero A.I. interaction other than killing or taming dinos. Instead, I'd describe it as an solo/multiplayer/offline/online Sandbox.

Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward seems to be a good rival for WoW, over 5M registered users.

Reactions: Huntn

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
FFXIV is decent, though it suffers from a kind of bad gameplay in the first 60 levels requiring one to go through the storyline which, while on the surface sounds fine, in practice makes it super tedious. It's not very optimized (wrappers generally aren't the greatest) but they're trying at least.

Only other game on there besides WoW I've played was EQMac for years. Surprised Marvel Heroes wasn't listed on there, though I'm unsure if it's an MMORPG or what exactly it'd be considered. I agree with Huntn, ARK's only ties to the genre is that it's online... >.<

Reactions: Huntn

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Huh, I didn't even knew that FFXIV has a new Mac client, while STO no longer supports Mac (although it shouldn't be surprise given Transgaming's out of the Mac porting business).

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
FFXIV is decent, though it suffers from a kind of bad gameplay in the first 60 levels requiring one to go through the storyline which, while on the surface sounds fine, in practice makes it super tedious. It's not very optimized (wrappers generally aren't the greatest) but they're trying at least.

Only other game on there besides WoW I've played was EQMac for years. Surprised Marvel Heroes wasn't listed on there, though I'm unsure if it's an MMORPG or what exactly it'd be considered. I agree with Huntn, ARK's only ties to the genre is that it's online... >.<

I thought FF had a native Mac client after the initial fiasco?

Huh, I didn't even knew that FFXIV has a new Mac client, while STO no longer supports Mac (although it shouldn't be surprise given Transgaming's out of the Mac porting business).

Elder Scrolls Tamriel has a native one and it's pretty good!

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I thought FF had a native Mac client after the initial fiasco?

It's a wrapper by Transgaming unless SE suddenly made a native client I'm unaware of. They pulled the client and did some fixed (or forced Transgaming to fix) then re-released it. It's still a wrapper though.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
I've started in Runescape, but its very complex, to know what to do. still figuring it out.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What game is that, Huntn?

Dark and Light. See post 6 in this thread for a comparison of 3 very similiar survival Sandbox titles. ARK:Survival Evolved has a Mac version.

I can be sucked into online servers with these games, but I describe myself as grind sensitive and I focus on building, besides the fact that servers are more perishable than solo games, but what you get on a server is social, group activities, vs being by yourself. I approach solo play more for creative building, so I take steps to mitigate grind and preserve the portions of the game that provide challenge.

Last edited:

Raketemensch

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
Tralfamadore
EVE Online, by far, IMHO. Great game, with depth that will keep you entertained for years. If you get into the social and political aspect, possibly a decade.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
EVE Online, by far, IMHO. Great game, with depth that will keep you entertained for years. If you get into the social and political aspect, possibly a decade.

Played 2005 to 2017 so yes over a decade, however now left. The're a bit of a joke ingame 'When you get a titan you stop playing and just become a bittervet'... it's pretty true imho, i lost interest at that point combined with a bunch of aspects which to me were signalling that the the game was nearing end of life... without doubt though a joyride for many years and being a sandbox environment wont be surpassed by many of the questathon based other mmorpgs

Raketemensch

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
Tralfamadore
I got heavily into 0.0 politics for ~5 years, and still enjoyed the underlying game both before and after.

While I no longer enjoy playing much, that's not the game's fault, I don't think there's ever been another game that's held my attention for 10 years, that's a hell of an accomplishment.

There's also a free-to-play tier now, so there's no reason not to give it a shot. Player count is still very high, and new people are still signing up left and right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.