Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
my trusty Linksys BEFSR41 is finnally on its last legs, and, since i will be getting a new powerbook soon I think my next router will be wireless. I am looking to go for a "G" based router as i will most likely have APX on the powerbook and i do share large files on my home network between my current Lombard and my Win XP Pro desktop, and will do the same going forward.

So whats the best brand/model?? i will be hardwired to my XP Pro desktop and wireless to my powerbook. I am hearing here and there that the Dlink & Buffalo are some of the best brands, any comments?

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
There's a NetGear out there that does a,b, and G. There's also the Apple APX.

I haven't had much experience with the rest of them - but I HAVE heard that the Linksys wireless routers aren't what they are cracked up to be.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I'm currently using a D-Link DI-624. I've had it for about two weeks. It wasn't too hard to set up. I'm not crazy about the setup control panel. But once it's set, you don't have to go back ver often. I used a USB Wireless adapter and it worked fine. I never did get the adapter to accpet accept encryptions codes. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I ended up rearranging my office amd updating some other other things. I'll probably be sending the USB adapter back for a refund. As such, now I don't need wireless capability. But I'll keep the D-Link in case I get laptop in the near future.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
My Linksys 802.11b works great. Wirreless with 4 port switch built in. I have a PC and a TiVo wired in, and 3 different laptops on the wireless. No problems with any of it! :D

I would assume the newer 802.11g rig would have the same basic reliability.

Anna

macrumors regular
May 25, 2003
Australia
I have used many routers as I am a system admin and 2 of my favourites would have to be Netgear (which have been great for my company) but you cannot go past a Cisco Router pricey but Faultless

mads

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2002
My airport extreme base station works great with both wired and wireless macs and PCs.

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
I've been using my original Graphite AP Base Station for quite a while now, and the capacitors rated for 1000 hours finally blew at about 35000 hours. I bought some new ones with a much higher rating and soldered them in, also drilled several holes in the casing for heat and am using the wall hanger to elevate it off the ground. Other than that, I've never really had a single problem with it. The apple setup utility is beutiful and if you have a mac that you're going to be using on the network, it should be great because you can administer it from that and get the equivalent network password for anal-retentive PC's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.