Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Who else here loves the Nissan GT-R? its my all time favorite. next to this anyways...

Attachments

• hennessey-venom-gt-11.jpg
    hennessey-venom-gt-11.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 238

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Who else here loves the Nissan GT-R?

Definitely a fan, in fact, I was considering one for my next ride. It has a ton of things going for it (some specific to me):

Incredible, easy to exploit power (AWD, tranny, driver control systems)
Slick dual clutch system (allows non manual folks to operate as a bonus!)
Very exclusive
Back seats
Easily tuned for another 100-150HP

I think some of the maintenance costs are too high, and while it’s a unique design, I go back and forth on the looks, the interior is mediocre, it’s a touch on the pricey side for a Nissan.

Ultimately, we have too much fun with our convertibles, so I started considering Shelby GT500s :cool: It has some of the same “pros” as above, available in a droptop and has some very cool historical significance (via Carol Shelby), especially if you’re into domestics.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Definitely a fan, in fact, I was considering one for my next ride. It has a ton of things going for it (some specific to me):

Incredible, easy to exploit power (AWD, tranny, driver control systems)
Slick dual clutch system (allows non manual folks to operate as a bonus!)
Very exclusive
Back seats
Easily tuned for another 100-150HP

I think some of the maintenance costs are too high, and while it’s a unique design, I go back and forth on the looks, the interior is mediocre, it’s a touch on the pricey side for a Nissan.

Ultimately, we have too much fun with our convertibles, so I started considering Shelby GT500s :cool: It has some of the same “pros” as above, available in a droptop and has some very cool historical significance (via Carol Shelby), especially if you’re into domestics.

any performance modded GT-R is fine by me, (if i had one id have Hennessey tune it) but Visually, ew. no. The GT-R looks best STOCK

Attachments

• nissan-skyline-gtr-2012-interior-2012-nissan-skyline-gtr-interior-nissan-cars-wallpaper--photos.jpg
    nissan-skyline-gtr-2012-interior-2012-nissan-skyline-gtr-interior-nissan-cars-wallpaper--photos.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 219

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
any performance modded GT-R is fine by me, (if i had one id have Hennessey tune it) but Visually, ew. no. The GT-R looks best STOCK

I wouldn’t get within a mile of anything Hennessy has his hand in ;)

There are some great local tuners here in Florida like Titan Motorsports (they built my Supra), and they’ve been pretty heads down with the GT-R for a few years now, outstanding expertise.

I agree, it doesn’t need anything done with the design, everything is functional, and it’s not like you need to differentiate your ride vs. the other 1-2 you might see in a month :D I do like a few aftermarket wheel options, but the Black Edition wheels are solid (and I actually prefer the earlier standard wheels vs. the later “busier” designs).

It’s possible when I get really serious I might look into them again, but at this point it’s more like: Is it available in a convertible? No? Next. :D

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
I wouldn’t get within a mile of anything Hennessy has his hand in ;)

There are some great local tuners here in Florida like Titan Motorsports (they built my Supra), and they’ve been pretty heads down with the GT-R for a few years now, outstanding expertise.

I agree, it doesn’t need anything done with the design, everything is functional, and it’s not like you need to differentiate your ride vs. the other 1-2 you might see in a month :D I do like a few aftermarket wheel options, but the Black Edition wheels are solid (and I actually prefer the earlier standard wheels vs. the later “busier” designs).

It’s possible when I get really serious I might look into them again, but at this point it’s more like: Is it available in a convertible? No? Next. :D

i dont get why everyone gives john such a hard time. he seems like a solid guy. i do agree with aftermarket rims though (to an extent)

you have a supra?? thats sweet! can you show me a pic?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
you have a supra?? thats sweet! can you show me a pic?

I did, it was before the car in my avatar (which is gone now too :) )

Sure!

Attachments

• IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 640_DSC00044.jpg
    640_DSC00044.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 172
  • 640_DSC00041.jpg
    640_DSC00041.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 640_DSC00043.jpg
    640_DSC00043.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 640_DSC00021.jpg
    640_DSC00021.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 173

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
damn thats sexy!!

Yeah, that was a fun project. I was one of the first cars to go with Lexus GGP as a paint color. ~750HP (~550 on pump), 15” AP brakes, TEIN coil overs, TRD sway bars, custom cage, lots of polish work, Top Secret fascia and carbon fiber hood (real products from Japan vs. the later wave of knockoffs).

It was a bit of a chore keeping it dialed in, the clutch was heavy, and at the time, the turbo options were more limited, so this setup was a little “peaky”. I was actually driving to an office when I had it, so I had a nice Lexus DD, otherwise it would’ve been a nightmare in traffic. Ultimately the chassis kind of showed its age, but I did put it on track a few times (that one photo is from Roebling Road).

I remember I was at Sebring, I topped it off with some 112, turned it up to ~32PSI, hahaha, I passed a guy on the back straight like he had pulled his emergency brake. He came over to talk to me after the session, said he thought a fighter plane was blowing past him it was so loud and fast :D

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Yeah, that was a fun project. I was one of the first cars to go with Lexus GGP as a paint color. ~750HP (~550 on pump), 15” AP brakes, TEIN coil overs, TRD sway bars, custom cage, lots of polish work, Top Secret fascia and carbon fiber hood (real products from Japan vs. the later wave of knockoffs).

It was a bit of a chore keeping it dialed in, the clutch was heavy, and at the time, the turbo options were more limited, so this setup was a little “peaky”. I was actually driving to an office when I had it, so I had a nice Lexus DD, otherwise it would’ve been a nightmare in traffic. Ultimately the chassis kind of showed its age, but I did put it on track a few times (that one photo is from Roebling Road).

I remember I was at Sebring, I topped it off with some 112, turned it up to ~32PSI, hahaha, I passed a guy on the back straight like he had pulled his emergency brake. He came over to talk to me after the session, said he thought a fighter plane was blowing past him it was so loud and fast :D

thats beast!!!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What everyone think of the new Hellcat:

707HP @ $65000:D

I want one!

Nuts!

A good friend on mine who’s a hardcore Dodge guy is definitely on deck for one, but he’s looking at the Charger (he currently has a couple of year old SRT Charger).

It’s funny, it’s getting to where 4xx HP doesn’t even rate, and cars like the ZL1 Camaro with 580HP look puny :D

Now they need to chop the top off of one the Hellcat models so I can cross shop them :cool:

Last edited:

Danley

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
OC
I'd love a GTR and am glad Nissan still makes something so awesome... But I always remember the "fat girl in the room" meme when I see it next to other sports cars... Wish they still made them slim and sleek, like the R34 , and as you can see from the pic of a couple of my machines below, I'm more a fan of straight sixes anyway :cool:

(Works in progress...)

f170d04419a865e49fd52bf7829d1c3e_zpsffe5f2c4.jpg

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Hopefully when it makes it to the US Honda won't have made it 60 hp less powerful

Hopefully! The only Type R we've ever had in the states is the DC2 Integra. Hopefully that'll change with this Civic. I was just thinking, aren't the Civic models in the UK and in the US extremely different?

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Picked up a Hotwheels Laferrari yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 161

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There's no denying that the ZL1 is king of the track... I admit I'm a bit proud of its accomplishments on the ring as a American

But as far as the Hellcat is concerned with regards to the track... Have a quick look at this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=91jRLQa5U8E

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of cars that are capable in all areas of performance (including handling/braking) and I’ve run track events for over 15 years (and had cars with outstanding handling), but at the end of the day, most of the track prowess can’t (or at least shouldn’t) be used on the street.

For so many folks, the Hellcat cars will be a _blast_! Even if in a magazine, the Camaro has a couple of MPH faster in a slalom :D

I'd love a GTR and am glad Nissan still makes something so awesome... But I always remember the "fat girl in the room" meme when I see it next to other sports cars... Wish they still made them slim and sleek, like the R34 , and as you can see from the pic of a couple of my machines below, I'm more a fan of straight sixes anyway :cool:

(Works in progress...)

I don’t mean to be stalk-er-ish, but your car album is public, great stuff! Looks like you’ve got a Z31 you’re working on as well (though it looks pretty mint as-is)

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I'm pretty interested in seeing what the next GT500 will be like. I had been looking at the current model on and off.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm pretty interested in seeing what the next GT500 will be like. I had been looking at the current model on and off.

Oh yeah? I’m about 95% sure that my next ride will be a 2013/14 GT500 convertible (SVT package, Recaro seats) - I totally dig on the historical significance of the Shelby name. :cool:

Love having a convertible in the family, and if it was a 4-seater, we could all enjoy it way more often :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.