Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Make iMessage/Facetime on other platforms?

• Yes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Napalm Doctor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
Canada
Since Facebook has been trying to look like they care about privacy, I feel like it is the best time for Apple to make iMessage with Facetime available on a lot more platforms. Find a way to monetize it. Integrate photo backups and sell iCloud storage for example. Make an in-app Store and allow money transfer thru Apple Pay could monetize iMessage as well.

Put a bigger emphasis on Group and allow to send SMS on Android. Allow it to save contacts. Emphasis on encrypted communications. This could be a potential threat to Facebook and it would show Apple cares about privacy while promoting their Service stance.

What do you think?

PS: Maybe in a dystopian future they could just buy twitter and integrate it with iMessage somehow.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Since Facebook has been trying to look like they care about privacy, I feel like it is the best time for Apple to make iMessage with Facetime available on a lot more platforms. Find a way to monetize it. Integrate photo backups and sell iCloud storage for example. Make an in-app Store and allow money transfer thru Apple Pay could monetize iMessage as well.

Put a bigger emphasis on Group and allow to send SMS on Android. Allow it to save contacts. Emphasis on encrypted communications. This could be a potential threat to Facebook and it would show Apple cares about privacy while promoting their Service stance.

What do you think?

PS: Maybe in a dystopian future they could just buy twitter and integrate it with iMessage somehow.
No.

Name one good port of Apple software to Windows. From the nightmare of QuickTime to the horrors of ITunes everything has been a mess.

Name one good Apple app in the Play Store....

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
No.

Read this to get an idea of what goes into doing Messages, iCloud, Apple Pay/Cash.

https://www.apple.com/business/site/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

Basically, Apple would need to write major chunks of iOS infrastructure and Secure Enclave replacement for Android. And one that will work in a highly fragmented Android world. And on underpowered cheap Android devices. And most likely will make things less secure for everyone (read: bugs introduced, more possible hacks vectors, etc. which could affect all users of services).

For what? If Apple charges to use Messages and Pay, noone signs up. iCloud doesn't deliver anything that isn't already out there (and many will say others do it better), so why pay for that? Dev costs go up, support costs go up (eg. Instead of a handful of iPhone/iPad/Mac models, now have everything under the sun running just about any version os to deal with at Genius Bar, phone support). And not as if Apple services revenue is hurting (nor really any of their revenue: yes down, particularly phones, but still a ocean liner of cash profits with limited scope).

Reactions: lparsons21

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
I can remember the Keynote 2011 when iMessage was announced, it should even be usable by non iDevices as an "open platform". Now, 2019 I still use iMessage as my primary communication protocol but also use proxy apps on Android to make sure I can use my second device which is an Android (next to my XS). But atm my P30 is overall much better then my XS. It's provably not taking long to make me switch fully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.