Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fritzzzzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2020
I don't know what happened. I just clean installed the MACOS 10.15.6. after the reboot, my Mac Pro has the classic startup chrime. Does apple update this after this supplement updates?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Not that I know of. I have two computers with the latest Catalina supplement and no chime.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Interesting. Did you install Big Sur as well? Maybe it snuck a chime in the T2 chip?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The chime has been built into the Mac Pro this whole time, but it's turned off at the factory. There has been a command line switch to turn it on and off in the firmware. Big Sur turns it back on by default. In since it's a hardware switch, it will continue to be on even outside of Big Sur.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I did the command to turn on the chime in Catalina so no change there for me. However, in Big Sur, the chime is noticeably louder than it was in Catalina. I'm on a NcMP 7,1.

Lou

fritzzzzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2020
Interesting. Did you install Big Sur as well? Maybe it snuck a chime in the T2 chip?

you are right. I did install Big Sur but I installed it in my another partition.. and I have deleted it that volume so that is why the chrime function was trigger and no way to go back ? Thank you
[automerge]1597716747[/automerge]
I did the command to turn on the chime in Catalina so no change there for me. However, in Big Sur, the chime is noticeably louder than it was in Catalina. I'm on a NcMP 7,1.

Lou

It is frigging loud... oh my god. plus the speaker of MP 7.1 also very loud..... =_=

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
It is part of the Big Sur beta. Big Sur gives you the option to turn it on or off I believe. So your firmware was updated with Big Sur.

One thing to note is the Chime is ridiculously loud with big sur, before big sur there was a command line that you could enter into terminal that could turn it on and it wasn't loud but Big Sur its like it turned it to max volume. Hopefully with the full release Big Sur allows to adjust the volume level.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=" "

The above command used to work. Didn’t try on the Mac Pro since I don’t have the chime.

fritzzzzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2020
Cheers mate. I’ve found out that no matter you installed it in separate partition, the public beta update the rom, T2 despite I’ve deleted the partition the updates still remain with the hardware.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Cheers mate. I’ve found out that no matter you installed it in separate partition, the public beta update the rom, T2 despite I’ve deleted the partition the updates still remain with the hardware.

Yeah the public beta updates the firmware, nothing you can do now until Apple can do something about the loud chime..

fritzzzzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2020
Yes.... but I have downgraded back to 10.15.6 as in cannot stand with the design and layout. so my 10.15.6 is a special edition hahaha

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

The chime has been toned down to a more acceptable level in Beta 5 released today?

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.