Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
I hope this topic won't bother most of you, but I'm really confused and stressed. First of all, I am a heavy Apple addict, who owns two nano XDRs, two nano ASDs, all sizes (20", 23", 30") ACD with iSight, 7 Mac (3 15" MBPs, 14" MBP, 13" MBA, 2019 MP, M1 Mac mini), two iPads (2020 12.9" iPad Pro and iPad classic ) and 5 Apple Watches (2 1st gen, 4th gen Hermes for my wife, 5th gen, and Ultra), and countless iPhones date back from first gen. I literally own them, without selling any. In other words, I have been totally sucked into the Apple ecosystem for quite long. I feel happy most of the time, because this ecosystem works just fine.

There have been only two exceptions. I have purchased the first gen Samsung folding phone and a Razer Blade laptop in 2019. I still own them, but I don't use them quite often. I think these two things have advantages, and feel the experience interesting, but since they cannot connect to the Apple ecosystem, it's not as efficient and convenient to use them. So for the past 3+ years, I never thought of purchasing any other Android product.

But lately, I found that Samsung's new Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra is really attractive. I have the budget to buy one, but I'm afraid the same old thing will happen again (only enjoy 5 min and dump :..<). So I thought and determine that only will I give it a shot, as long as this tablet could achieve two things:

1. the Samsung's new Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra could be used as a second portable screen for my 14" Macbook Pro (M1 Pro);
2. the Samsung's new Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra could be connected to the XDR monitor and turn it on under the Dex mode.

I couldn't find answers online. My local Samsung retailer told me they currently have the stock, but no tester, so even I bring my XDR to the store, I cannot test it. And it seems that I need to make decisions quickly, as this thing will be sold out pretty soon.

Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Buy. Try. Return… or not.
I'm currently locating in Shenzhen, China now, a small city near Hong Kong. And due to a bunch of complex reasons, the local returning policy is not as good as in the Europe, North America, or any other developed countries. Basically, returning is not an option. There is no such thing as 14-day policy. So I have to make final decisions before making moves. Once I have paid the bill, I won't have the chance to regret. If I do regret, the only probable option for me is to sell it as a second hand tablet, which will likely cut the price in half.

GGaleno

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
Hi! I'm currently having the same doubts as you had. I'm waiting for apple to release the 2024 and compare with the S9 Ultra. Did you ended up buying the S9?. What are your thoughts?. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.