Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Don't judge the hardware's "Pro-feel" based on what software is available to make use of the hardware.

That would be like inventing the car before the steering wheel and peddles and asking people not to judge it based on how it drives. The engine puts lots of power, the suspension feels great, you'll love the interior comfort. No, you can't actually drive anywhere, that's coming in a future update.

A released product's capabilities must be judged on what it can currently do. What's coming next year is irrelevant today, especially since we're talking about pure speculation.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
You're not a developer, so you don't get it. That's fine. Forward that to the developer in question and they can find it in the documentation.

Research before you reply. App developers can't fix an iOS limitation.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Depends on the meaning of "pro." If you mean a creative pro, maybe. If you mean someone who needs multiple Office documents of the same type open at the same time, no, it's not very pro. But most iPP sales will probably be to people who have no "pro" needs of any kind and simply want a huge display. :)

tatty27

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Staffs UK
For years I felt that the size of the ipad held me back from regarding it as nothing more serious than something to browse the internet and check emails when I couldn't be bothered to get my mbpro out. I often wished there would be a bigger version so I could do things like quickly edit a bit of code in Coda, replace the A4 pad I have sitting on my desk or quickly reply to emails without having to type using one finger with the on screen keyboard. I know I could use an external one but if I'm going to do that I may as well get my mbpro out.

Now my dream has been realised and I use it more for work tasks than I ever did my ipad air2 which I guess means it is more pro.

I would have to say though, the keyboard and pencil make the ipad pro complete as a package, I still wouldn't want to use it for taking notes with the inadequate palm rejection from my Jot Script Pro and although the on screen keyboard is much better to use size wise the smart keyboard is just more 'convenient'.

Reactions: Ghost31

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I would have to say though, the keyboard and pencil make the ipad pro complete as a package, I still wouldn't want to use it for taking notes with the inadequate palm rejection from my Jot Script Pro and although the on screen keyboard is much better to use size wise the smart keyboard is just more 'convenient'.
Wow, really? One of the best things about the iPad Pro for me is note taking with the Pencil; I recently started using Notability and it's just such a fantastic, natural experience for me. Maybe it's Jot Script Pro that is the issue? I don't like taking notes with a laptop because the screen becomes a barrier between you and the other attendees of your meeting, so I've always used pen and paper; the iPP has become the best of both worlds for me.

I love the Smart Keyboard; I've been using the heck out of it and I love typing on it. I'm not really sure what it is about the experience that I appreciate so much, but I love flipping this thing into "laptop mode", banging something out on the keyboard, and then flipping it into "tablet mode" and having everything work just the way I want it. It's easily becoming the favorite of all my Apple devices.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I can certainly do more Pro things (I do use my iPP at work), but it isn't really pro yet. I agree with what someone else posted, there are limitations that kind of get annoying. Multiple documents, some apps have multitasking while others don't. Because Apple doesn't build multitasking into the OS as a sand alone feature, we are at the mercy of app developers to implement split screen multitasking.

tatty27

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Staffs UK
Maybe it's Jot Script Pro that is the issue?

That's the point I was making, when using the Jot Script Pro I still wouldn't use the iPad pro for making notes because the palm rejection with the Jot Script Pro, or any other stylus for that matter just isn't good enough. In fact it's worse than with the iPad Air 2 because you have to rest your hand on the screen to write because it's so big, but the Apple pencil seals the deal making it more of a package solution.

I agree about the flipping out of the smart keyboard too making it a mini laptop on a whim, that's what I meant by convenient.

iPad pro on its own is just a big ipad. iPad pro + pencil + smart keyboard is something completely different, much more productive.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Which is a terrible analogy because people still use desktops.
Steve never said that PCs would go away. He simply believed that they would end up getting used less and tablets became more capable and convenient and more computing tasks were performed on them as opposed to on a PC.

And in a sense, Steve wasn't wrong. I use desktops too. They aren't sexy, but they get the heavy lifting done, and they are never leaving my house. But if I want to do something like reply to an email, I would sooner reach for my tablet than switch on my iMac, because the former is just more accessible.

Research before you reply. App developers can't fix an iOS limitation.
App developers can get creative and try to work around that issue though.

For example, a new app called Sidefari uses safari-view-controller to simulate having a 2nd Safari page in split-screen mode. Clipboard-management apps like Clips offer a workaround around the limited clipboard function in iOS by streamlining the saving of copied text to the app, letting you copy and paste multiple text snippets easily via a 3rd-party keyboard.

Perhaps there is a way to simulate VNC functionality without actually having to VNC in itself?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
That's the point I was making, when using the Jot Script Pro I still wouldn't use the iPad pro for making notes because the palm rejection with the Jot Script Pro, or any other stylus for that matter just isn't good enough. In fact it's worse than with the iPad Air 2 because you have to rest your hand on the screen to write because it's so big, but the Apple pencil seals the deal making it more of a package solution.
I'm so dumb; I thought that Jot Script Pro was an app and that you weren't using the Pencil to take notes. Now I'm caught up. :p

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
It seems to me iPad Pro is more of an afterthought in large part arisen from the increased chip cost and decreasing tablet sales. If the tablet market was still growing like in 2013, Apple would have released the iPad Air 3 with A9X. Since the tablet market has been saturated, they had to create a new market in order to sustain profits. Updating the existing iPads with more expensive 14/16nm chips might not be as profitable. Since there really isn't iPad's competition at least in the U.S., Apple probably figured that the risk of attempting to create a new demand is small - that is, iPad Air 2 will sell (or not sell) whether it is updated or not. Updating it with A9X is an unnecessary expense (for Apple).

Lack of competition and slowed-down tablet market are what brought us the iPad Pro.

I find it to be a great thing that iPad sales have slowed. When sales slow, innovation occurs. Innovation occurs out of a desire to give consumers things they want and/or fresh products. You're right, if things were growing, there would be no pro and instead an Air 3 with spec bumps.

I for one am perfectly happy that Apple is pushing new product lines and giving consumers at least some of what they want (like Apple Pencil).

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
A great mechanic can make expert use of tools. That is what makes him a pro. To ask if the iPad Pro is really a pro tool is like asking "can buying tools at sears make me a mechanic"

This is so true it's ridiculous. I used to say the same thing in the call of duty forums when someone complained some gun is overpowered and "cheap" and that's why this person keeps killing them. I told them if someone is really good at this game, it doesn't matter what gun they use. They'll be able to use anything good enough to kill you if they have the skills.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
If you wanted to do some video editing, would you have to keep the relevant app open on the iPad or could you let it finish doing its thing in the background (like Windows can)?

rokey

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
NC
That would be like inventing the car before the steering wheel and peddles and asking people not to judge it based on how it drives. The engine puts lots of power, the suspension feels great, you'll love the interior comfort. No, you can't actually drive anywhere, that's coming in a future update.

A released product's capabilities must be judged on what it can currently do. What's coming next year is irrelevant today, especially since we're talking about pure speculation.

Do you feel unable set/alter the direction and speed of motion on the iPad Pro?

With the supplied software from Apple on a Mac Pro vs MacBook vs Mac mini vs whatever current Mac you want... what is the difference? Nothing. Safari is the same, Notes is the same, Mail is the same... and for those of you that are amazing developers, guess what... Xcode is the same.

What is the difference from a Mac mini to a Mac Pro? Hardware. Same situation with the iPad Mini to the iPad Pro.

It takes time for developers to CHOOSE to make software in new layouts, and for new platforms. It's not the iPad Pro's fault that (name your favorite "Pro" app) ___ isn't available in an iPad Pro specific version, yet. Contact the developer of your favorite "Pro" app, and let them know that you are interested in an iPad Pro version, and that... YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR IT, maybe even... willing to "Kickstart" it (I email this request and point to Devs regularly).

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
A great mechanic can make expert use of tools. That is what makes him a pro. To ask if the iPad Pro is really a pro tool is like asking "can buying tools at sears make me a mechanic"

This is true only to a point. You can't joint a board with a hammer. Do you really want to try doing the things you do with your computing devices with an original IBM PC or a Mac 128K?

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
I like the idea of the iPad pro...but even as a huge Apple fanboy, I can see that it's not quite there yet. There is a lot of room for improvement. And that seems to be the general consensus. Kinda sucks because this thing has so much potential. I feel like it was probably made for iOS 10 and we are probably in for a big keynote in June

And I just got done watching things. What do you think? Do you agree?
I agree, not ready to replace a laptop yet. Given its size Id RATHER have a MBP or MB Air. Nice screen, but a gimick device IMHO

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I agree, not ready to replace a laptop yet. Given its size Id RATHER have a MBP or MB Air. Nice screen, but a gimick device IMHO
Just got one. My opinion has definitely evolved. Hands down best device I've ever had

Reactions: Codeseven

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Wow. 5 pages...

For me, it has major feature upgrades from previous iPads, so I guess that makes it "pro."

How do I define pro? If I earn money with it, then it's "pro."

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Depends on the meaning of "pro." If you mean a creative pro, maybe. If you mean someone who needs multiple Office documents of the same type open at the same time, no, it's not very pro. But most iPP sales will probably be to people who have no "pro" needs of any kind and simply want a huge display. :)

I agree - the large, pretty display is the biggest attraction to this thing, IMO.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I agree - the large, pretty display is the biggest attraction to this thing, IMO.

And a pretty darned good excuse to buy the thing if you don't need to carry it around daily. Look at what's happened to TVs, after all! :) But no one sells them as "mobile" devices - or "pro," for that matter. ;)

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
And a pretty darned good excuse to buy the thing if you don't need to carry it around daily. Look at what's happened to TVs, after all! :) But no one sells them as "mobile" devices - or "pro," for that matter. ;)

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
I just got mine. I don't have a keyboard or pen yet.

So far I'm disappointed more apps don't make use of the larger screen. It just seems like everything is larger but not that there's actually more content on the screen. Since I'm not blind, that's a bit of a waste to lug such a large device around just to make things bigger. Hopefully that changes soon.

The speakers are awesome though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.