Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Well, The Crowded Room just dropped last night (06/08) and from the trailer, I wasn’t too impressed and planned to skip it. However, from what I read - that it was inspired by the novel The Minds of Billy Milligan, and reading about him, I was intrigued. Even reading that Tom Holland said he was taking a year off acting because the show “broke him” had me hooked.

I’m only into the first two episodes so far but I think this one is a keeper. Pacing can be slow at times. Character buildup and development is good so far. I’m liking the era/time period (1979 I believe) in New York. Acting has been good so far - Holland doesn’t seem wooden and is affect is on point for someone very troubled. Seyfried looks beautiful as usual and would love to see her role open up later in the series as she’s a professor (there is a glimpse of her teaching a class from the bonus content).

Thoughts/ideas so far….I’m thinking the various people that Danny Sullivan meets in the first two episodes, while all charming in their own way and just as burdened with their own issues, are all alternate personalities - Yitzak, Ariana, and even Jonny and Matty! There’s simple no way in my opinion that an introvert like Sullivan who is a loner is that gregarious.

Does anyone else plan on watching it, and if they already started, would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I didn’t like the actor. The show was too slow and should have be done in half of episodes. The title is a major spoiler. I liked the end, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: zinacef

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
I've been watching this, I thought it got better and it went on. Generally like anything psychological, so enjoyed that aspect. The era was re-created well, good choice of soundtrack, strong courtroom scenes, and fully agree Amanda Seyfried was lovely as always. Obviously some of the discussion of abuse and so forth is not pleasant viewing, but otherwise a very strong series that I enjoyed a lot.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
I've been watching this, I thought it got better and it went on. Generally like anything psychological, so enjoyed that aspect. The era was re-created well, good choice of soundtrack, strong courtroom scenes, and fully agree Amanda Seyfried was lovely as always. Obviously some of the discussion of abuse and so forth is not pleasant viewing, but otherwise a very strong series that I enjoyed a lot.
I concur, I liked the psychological aspect/background of the series. I work in healthcare, and doing graduate studies in mental health at the moment so the field fascinates me, particularly the area/topic of dissociative identity disorder. I just wished we learned more about Billy Mulligan (who the story was based on), though I had to learn that on my own through some research on the internet. Personally, I wish there was a second season, but I know it won't happen. Loved the whole the thing by the way!

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Just started this today and I am hooked. Love Amanda Seyfried and Tom Holland is really an amazing actor in this.

I am intrigued to see where the plot goes.
I agree, they’re both very talented actors!
When you’re finished, return and post your thoughts.

Reactions: _justbecause
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.