Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know why it's so bad having the cables at the back, how often do you need to plug/unplug the cables from your computer. Really.

It's not really that annoying at all. Plus do you really want to have your firewire drives plugged in with a cable going to the front. I know you'd also have back ports, but I'd like to know why you really need/want them. True the cube was slightly annoying having them underneath.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
its a compact version of a pc using some mini standard of atx.... well its nothing to be reckoned with. its slow, probably overhetas and only has one pci slot.....

The upsides, it has agp unlike its predecesor.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by bidge
I don't know why it's so bad having the cables at the back, how often do you need to plug/unplug the cables from your computer. Really.

That's maybe true for HDs, CD-Burners and other peripherals that are in most cases constantly connected to your machine, but it is always annoying to connect something like a DV-Camera or other equipment to it just a few minutes for transfers. For that it would be pretty smart to have at least one Firewire port on the front panel to give easy access. My PMs are on tables facing the wall and there is already a huge cable chaos behind that can't be really fixed. The only way to get to the ports is to move the computer and to turn it a little bit. Something that can be very annoying with a dozen cables connected already. And to leave the cable connected (that's what I am doing at the moment) to avoid that computer moving all the time, can't be the ultimate solution for that problem. To have a cable on the desk without any function 95% of the time is ugly and to make sure that it is not sliding behind the desk is also kinda silly...

It's not really that annoying at all. Plus do you really want to have your firewire drives plugged in with a cable going to the front. I know you'd also have back ports, but I'd like to know why you really need/want them. True the cube was slightly annoying having them underneath.

Who was talking about ALL the firewire ports? One in the front, two in the back. That would be perfect. A colleague is coming with his camera or HD, you plug it, do the transfer, you unplug it. That would be really awesome. No unneeded cables on the desk, no computer moving...

groovebuster

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Forget the "cubed" pc, take a look at the Lipton Ice Tea can! I mean wow those belgiums sure have nice cans........maybe that came out the wrong way.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
They coulda solved that problem by having swinging doors on the drive bays that DID match the case. All in all, I don't think this is a bad idea. I might get one myself at the end of the year for a 2nd PC/fileserver machine. Apparently pretty quiet and it has all the connections I need. Having some of the ports in the front is a great idea, for the times you have to swap devices back and forth regularly.

To clarify my position.. I don't actually own a Mac yet, but I'm planning to get a Powerbook at the end of the year.. Get rid of my current Athlon 1.2Ghz machine. Waaaay too noisy even though it has served me well (I usually find that most problems I run into are PEBCAK errors) and get one of these little cube PCs for a 2nd machine.

Not as cool as a G4 Cube, but you better believe I can build one of these for a lot less than even a 2nd hand G4 Cube!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Re: Re: the CUBE is back!

Originally posted by MisterMe

P-U!

Cool? This thing makes an IBM PS/2 look cute.
hee hee hee my friend has an IBM PS/1 it looks funny! hee hee hee It looks like a messed up Macintosh 512k...

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
UUUggggggghhhhhhhh. Ugly. I am about to buy a cube. I can't wait. I do need help though. Look in the help section for a thread created by Scem0. It is about the cube I might buy.

mcullen

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2002
Los Angeles
One of my friends brought one of these over that he built.

I was only jealous of the optical line in and out on these machines. He had a GeForce 4Ti and the cpu crashed because it was too hot. There definitely is a cooling problem.

Overall this is just a squat tower with a squarish face, but almost same depth as a mini-tower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.