Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
wtf.png

This is what greeted me tonight when I hooked up my ext. hd to my powerbook. I've tried techtool pro and the drive isn't even showing up in their data recovery options.

I didn't hit initialize, just cancel... not sure what happened.. but this isn't good at all. Every piece of critical data I have is on that drive. I know I can get it back if I spend some cash.. but that I don't have right now.

Any suggestions as to how to remedy this?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Was this drive format supported by Mac OS X previously?

The lack of information makes it difficult to give you any advice.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
yeah, it's a 160gig lacie drive that i've used with osx for nearly two years.

i've never had any problems with it before. and some how magically today, whilst not even hooked up to a computer, it goes bad.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
n/m, data rescue II seems to be doing the trick. thankfully i have an extra hd of equal size. unfortunately, it's a lacie, so it's bound to explode and send shrapnel through my eyes as everything is transferring over.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
1) Acquire Disk Warrior.
2) plug in drive
3) click "Ignore"
4) run disk warrior
5) Hopefully, disk warrior will be able to rebuild the directory and you should be able to mount it again.
In the future, be careful to avoid disconnecting firewire drives while there's disk activity in progress. I'm not saying that's what happened, but if it did, that might have had some part in this.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
fowler. said:
n/m, data rescue II seems to be doing the trick. thankfully i have an extra hd of equal size. unfortunately, it's a lacie, so it's bound to explode and send shrapnel through my eyes as everything is transferring over.

It's the insides, not the outsides, that count. LaCie was a Quantum subsidiary but since Quantum was bought, the quality issues for Quantum have become bad, though not as bad as Western Digital.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
bousozoku said:
It's the insides, not the outsides, that count. LaCie was a Quantum subsidiary but since Quantum was bought, the quality issues for Quantum have become bad, though not as bad as Western Digital.

That's a very good point. Many people are under the misunderstanding that Lacie manufactures their own hard drives - they don't. I believe they have been known to use Maxtor and Seagate drives. Something to consider when making a purchase, that's all.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
I understand, I was merely pointing out the fact that since the Lacie crashed and is transferring to another hard drive of the same psuedo brand, something catostrophic was going to happen.

I've always been a fan of their company.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
fowler. said:
I understand, I was merely pointing out the fact that since the Lacie crashed and is transferring to another hard drive of the same psuedo brand, something catostrophic was going to happen.

I've always been a fan of their company.

Sorry, should have clarified, I meant some people in general don't know that, not necessarily you - apologies. ;)

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
i got that when my girlfriend dropped 3 full lever-arch files on my ext. hard drive. only solution was to format it. disk warrior didnt want to play with it. disk still works now though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.