Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamangeln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
In the keynote they talked about the new extensions features, third party apps editing pictures straight from the photos app by hitting edit-> then the top left button(which appears to not be there). VSCOCam was one of the 3rd party apps shown, but he gave a demo using another editing app. So are these extensions not availble on beta 1, or can I just not figure it out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 173

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
In the keynote they talked about the new extensions features, third party apps editing pictures straight from the photos app by hitting edit-> then the top left button(which appears to not be there). VSCOCam was one of the 3rd party apps shown, but he gave a demo using another editing app. So are these extensions not availble on beta 1, or can I just not figure it out?

Pretty sure “Extensions” have to be installed and supported by third party apps.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

The apps haven't been updated to support this yet. You won't see any extensions (unless you have a beta version of the app) until they update the app after iOS 8 drops in the fall.

iamangeln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
The apps haven't been updated to support this yet. You won't see any extensions (unless you have a beta version of the app) until they update the app after iOS 8 drops in the fall.
Oh ok that makes sense! I feel a bit dumb for not knowing this. Haha thanks

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i hope extensions in safari will make the following possible, really miss them on my phone:

- ad blocker
- lastpass (the browser in the lastpass app is not very convenient..)

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Those are exactly the type of use cases extensions will enable.

not sure if adblocker will work. since this has to be running the whole time, intercepting the ads.
so far the extensions look more like a "click the extension to make something happen to a page that is already loaded"

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yes it's included.

As soon as you develop an app that utilizes the API, you can play with it.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
not sure if adblocker will work. since this has to be running the whole time, intercepting the ads.
so far the extensions look more like a "click the extension to make something happen to a page that is already loaded"

Hmm. You may have a point there. If so, extensions are more like bookmarklets which isn’t that huge of a step forward :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.