Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fallout 4 is one of the most satisfying RPG/Adventure games I've played since, oh Skyrim! :) Now that I see the end in sight, headed for a resolution between the 3 factions, I've looked upon the DLC that is associate iwth this game and I'm a bit disappointment. Far Harbor looks like a horror movie. Nuka World looks like a theme park gone bad. Now the Vault-Tec Workship, Automatron, and Wasteland Workshop looks like they could be interesting. Thoughts on any of this so far? Are these worthy? From what I've seen, I'd be hesitant to fork out for the Season Pass,

Regarding the Vault Tec Workshop, Automatron, and Wasteland Workshop, are these incorporated into the CommonWealth as I know if from the main game and can you travel out from your vault or home to see all you companion friend and settlements you helped create and sustain?

Thanks! :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just finished Fallout 4 main story, WHAT A GAME! I loved this! :D:D Anyone who is playing or has played most likely figured out that all the factions can be joined. However, without saying much about it, Fallout 4 tends to funnel you towards picking a faction to the serious detriment of some of the others. This would not have made me happy and I found an alternative which if you read it spoils everything, as in telling you in advance exactly what you have to do (which quests to do or don't do) for the "good ending". This did not bother me to know in advance, but if you are the type that does not want to know, I'll just say that there are ways to get to the end where more factions live than not and if you are smarter than me, you can figure it out I imagine. Like when one faction gives you a quest to kill the other faction. ;)

I'll make a point of saying that the ending below ends up with the most factions left standing, but it may not suit you depending on how you view them. Another Spoiler : Ten Ton Hammer Every Fallout 4 Ending revealed.

Spoiler Link
Fallout 4: The Perfect Turning Point | Definitive Minutemen Ending Guide

I had a lot of difficulty with choosing to allow the Institute to live or to destroy it. As the holders of all the known advanced tech on the planet, it would have been better to take them over, which arguably you could eventually do as the head of the institute, but that results in the deaths of others you have been most likely working with. It seems that everyone in the Commonwealth hates their guts. They've locked themselves away to allow the rest of humanity wallow in the relative mud.

It is a moral dilemma when considering what's best for the future of the human race to allow this kind of tech to be destroyed, pushing mankind hundreds of years backwards or to save it with the resulting death of a lot of human beings who want to live. I went with the above ending on my first run through and am now second guessing myself. ;)

Last edited:

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Fallout 4 is one of the most satisfying RPG/Adventure games I've played since, oh Skyrim! :) Now that I see the end in sight, headed for a resolution between the 3 factions, I've looked upon the DLC that is associate iwth this game and I'm a bit disappointment. Far Harbor looks like a horror movie. Nuka World looks like a theme park gone bad. Now the Vault-Tec Workship, Automatron, and Wasteland Workshop looks like they could be interesting. Thoughts on any of this so far? Are these worthy? From what I've seen, I'd be hesitant to fork out for the Season Pass,

Regarding the Vault Tec Workshop, Automatron, and Wasteland Workshop, are these incorporated into the CommonWealth as I know if from the main game and can you travel out from your vault or home to see all you companion friend and settlements you helped create and sustain?

Thanks! :D

if you loved fallout 4 i dont know why you wouldn't get the DLC. Far harbour is almost a game in itself. nuka world ive just started, it seems fun and at the end of the day its still fallout 4 so its more of what you enjoyed.

the little dlc i think all of them has added something, especially if you like the home building stuff.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
if you loved fallout 4 i dont know why you wouldn't get the DLC. Far harbour is almost a game in itself. nuka world ive just started, it seems fun and at the end of the day its still fallout 4 so its more of what you enjoyed.

the little dlc i think all of them has added something, especially if you like the home building stuff.

Most likely I will. :) I assume they are separated. Can you jump back and forth from the Common Wealth to the DLC content?

Which faction did you go with? :)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Most likely I will. :) I assume they are separated. Can you jump back and forth from the Common Wealth to the DLC content?

Which faction did you go with? :)
yes they are different locations on the map, you go to the place nearest them at the edge of the map and travel to them.
well worth it imho.

and i was brotherhood to start with but felt dirty so went back and finished as institute

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
yes they are different locations on the map, you go to the place nearest them at the edge of the map and travel to them.
well worth it imho.

and i was brotherhood to start with but felt dirty so went back and finished as institute

I might do the end again and side with the Institute but I know in advance I won't like the choices I'll have to make and the people I'll be expected to kill.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
I might do the end again and side with the Institute but I know in advance I won't like the choices I'll have to make and the people I'll be expected to kill.

its definitely worth doing two endings, the institute and brotherhood. the other 2 don't seem to be different enough from the brotherhood to be worth doing 3. I might go back to the start though and try to do it differently, I figure build sanctuary better and earlier, possibly avoid power armour completely and do the ending where everyone loves each other.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
its definitely worth doing two endings, the institute and brotherhood. the other 2 don't seem to be different enough from the brotherhood to be worth doing 3. I might go back to the start though and try to do it differently, I figure build sanctuary better and earlier, possibly avoid power armour completely and do the ending where everyone loves each other.

I went with the assassin build using the Deliveror, pistol skills, muffled/shadowed armor and enjoyed that over clunking around in power armor! :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One thing that really aggravated me was that I don't care how primitive things where people would still be able to build or repair decent looking houses, not live in glorified piles of junk with holes in the roof. I'm either going to buy one of the DLCs or wait for the Season Pass to go on sale. I'm interested enough in this game, that I'd like to go fix up some of these messy settlements.
icon_smile.gif

Does the workshop allow you to make substantial improvements to existing settlements in the commonwealth? I use a couple of mods, but maybe I should explore those for better building options? I'd love to put some respectable dwellings into these places.
icon_biggrin.gif

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Not sure what's available for Fallout 4 (went PS4 this time around), but if there are mods the size of Skyrim mods, you have plenty more user generated content to play! :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not sure what's available for Fallout 4 (went PS4 this time around), but if there are mods the size of Skyrim mods, you have plenty more user generated content to play! :D

I'll probably buy Far Harbor the next time it goes on sale. I've looked into mods and there seems to be some good options for fixing up houses/building houses and getting decent furniture. I'm going to try a modular house mod that lets you build from scratch. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
By chance anyone work with the Modular Housing Mod? If so questions:

I just discovered this (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15108/) and it looks cool, loads up nicely, I've watched a few videos and I'm not clear on building walls. I watched one video where the person laid what looked like a row of vanilla shack floors/ceilings around a foundation he built using this mod. I can't get mine to snap to the foundations. I was thinking maybe he was using the shack floors to get some snapping action on the walls.... apparently no.

Then I'm looking at how to build walls and fill them in with insulation before covering them with a material. The ventricle pillars turn green, but don't appear to snap anywhere on the foundation, how do you keep the spacing even?

In one video a person placed vertical pillars along the edges and even laid out interior walls directly on concrete foundations. No snapping?

In a video by the mod author, he laid out a grid of horizontal pillars I assume so the vertical pillars would snap, but I did not see him use the small horizontal pieces to keep the spacing even.

I must be missing something and would appreciated some insight from anyone with experience using this mod. Thanks! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As a owner of the the Fallout 4 Season Pass purchased during the 2016 Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale, and as an enthusiastic user of mods, I'll advise you that the Snap'n Build Greenhouse conflicts with the Vault Tec DLC, evident when the Vault building category does not appear under the Workshop>Structures menu. Removing this mod corrected the issue for me. At one point the Homemaker-Expanded Settlements Mod was also identified as a culprit, but it was updated and is not causing an issue for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm doing the Nuka World DLC and gee it looks like Bethesda wants me to become a raider. However there is a quest Open Season that has you killing raiders once again. Question- has anyone played this so you can get a raider faction perk, but not permanently piss off Preston Garvey (because you gave settlements to raiders)? Here are two guide links:

http://www.carls-fallout-4-guide.com/nuka-world/quests/open-season.php

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/01/fallout-4-nuka-world-endings-guide-perks-rewards-gangs-open-season/

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I've just gone back to this after leaving it alone for the best part of a year. I loved it to begin with, got as far as seeing inside the Institute, then it left me cold. I realised I hated the main character, there's nothing I could do to stop him being such a whiny little baby of a man. His path is so narrow, there's minimal role-playing involved.

I want to see the end, though, so I've returned to where I left it. Shot Paladin Danse's head off as soon as I got the chance (finally,the option to kill one of those immortal 'key' characters), went to the Railroad and slaughtered them all. I've now followed Liberty Prime on a synth-killing spree to the Institute's front door.

Am I close to the end? If there's another quest line after this I could see myself abandoning it again.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've just gone back to this after leaving it alone for the best part of a year. I loved it to begin with, got as far as seeing inside the Institute, then it left me cold. I realised I hated the main character, there's nothing I could do to stop him being such a whiny little baby of a man. His path is so narrow, there's minimal role-playing involved.

I want to see the end, though, so I've returned to where I left it. Shot Paladin Danse's head off as soon as I got the chance (finally,the option to kill one of those immortal 'key' characters), went to the Railroad and slaughtered them all. I've now followed Liberty Prime on a synth-killing spree to the Institute's front door.

Am I close to the end? If there's another quest line after this I could see myself abandoning it again.

I'll assume you are close to ending the main quest line. Generally speaking the game tries to get you to pick a faction, and offers a path to kill the others. I never liked this. If I understand it correctly isn't Liberty Prime a Brotherhood of Steel quest? If so, why kill Danse? (If for some reason other than his secret. ;).) Even his own leadership could forgive him, eventually. It was no fault of his own. :)

Since the Institute holds the cutting edge of human tech, it was a crime to destroy it versus taking it over, I lament this structure imposed By Bethesda. However I could not bring myself to kill the Railroad or the Minute Men, so I took down the Institute, tech be damned (cause in real life, I would have taken them over, and sorted things out.) Following an online guide (link in other thread) I kept the other 3 factions alive and am in good standing with them.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I finished it! Well, I'm glad it's out of the way. Compared to Fallout 3 it's soulless, I just never cared about any of the factions, characters or settlements.

I was ordered to kill Danse because he was a filthy Synth. Danse himself actually requested that I kill him as well, and because he made me go through loads of robot guards just to hear his suicide plea I made sure he died hard. Funny thing, though, he turned into meaty chunks rather than bits of robot. Maybe he wasn't a Synth after all. Ho ho.

The whole storyline about finding my son was half-baked. That should be a really emotional thing but because you basically have to abandon this quest - which would surely be the only thing driving you - and become Mad Max in order to get anywhere in the game, the father/son stuff takes a back seat.

By the time I found him, self-satisfied and old (but with that bizarre baby face all Bethesda characters have) I was past caring about him. Here's how I left him. Later, son.

20170118180913_1_1.jpg

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Interesting!
Yeah, I stopped playing Fallout 4 once I finished the game one time through. (After a short stint with the Brotherhood of Steel, I decided they were too militaristic and would just turn the world into some kind of dictatorship - so I turned on them and killed Danse.) I wound up siding with the Minute Men and was hoping to find a way to get the Railroad and Minute Men to work together as some kind of team. But the game quickly led me down a "Choose one!" path that really frustrated me. I wound up turning on everyone to become part of the Institute. That ending really bummed me out because it was so promising getting the chance to take control of all of it upon "Father"'s death .That seemed like the perfect solution to everything to me. Take charge of the Institute and then change the way it does things .... Befriend the other factions except the Brotherhood and destroy them with superior technology. Bring freedom and prosperity to everyone. But nope! It just kind of ended, with me supposedly in charge but characters in the Institute still bossing me around -- and no chance to change anything. Lame!

I never did buy the DLC because unlike a lot of people? I didn't find much joy in all the constructing of buildings in the game. (I feel like that's a tedious and pointless effort unless you're in a multiplayer universe where things you build stick around for others to see, use or enjoy.) I really just wanted an add-on that provided some continuation to the story where they abruptly left it!

I'll assume you are close to ending the main quest line. Generally speaking the game tries to get you to pick a faction, and offers a path to kill the others. I never liked this. If I understand it correctly isn't Liberty Prime a Brotherhood of Steel quest? If so, why kill Danse? (If for some reason other than his secret. ;).) Even his own leadership could forgive him, eventually. It was no fault of his own. :)

Since the Institute holds the cutting edge of human tech, it was a crime to destroy it versus taking it over, I lament this structure imposed By Bethesda. However I could not bring myself to kill the Railroad or the Minute Men, so I took down the Institute, tech be damned (cause in real life, I would have taken them over, and sorted things out.) Following an online guide (link in other thread) I kept the other 3 factions alive and am in good standing with them.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I finished it! Well, I'm glad it's out of the way. Compared to Fallout 3 it's soulless, I just never cared about any of the factions, characters or settlements.

I was ordered to kill Danse because he was a filthy Synth. Danse himself actually requested that I kill him as well, and because he made me go through loads of robot guards just to hear his suicide plea I made sure he died hard. Funny thing, though, he turned into meaty chunks rather than bits of robot. Maybe he wasn't a Synth after all. Ho ho.

The whole storyline about finding my son was half-baked. That should be a really emotional thing but because you basically have to abandon this quest - which would surely be the only thing driving you - and become Mad Max in order to get anywhere in the game, the father/son stuff takes a back seat.

By the time I found him, self-satisfied and old (but with that bizarre baby face all Bethesda characters have) I was past caring about him. Here's how I left him. Later, son.

20170118180913_1_1.jpg
Interesting that I disliked F3 and I am curious how F4 qualifies as soulless? Not a fight, interested in your perspective.

Interesting!
Yeah, I stopped playing Fallout 4 once I finished the game one time through. (After a short stint with the Brotherhood of Steel, I decided they were too militaristic and would just turn the world into some kind of dictatorship - so I turned on them and killed Danse.) I wound up siding with the Minute Men and was hoping to find a way to get the Railroad and Minute Men to work together as some kind of team. But the game quickly led me down a "Choose one!" path that really frustrated me. I wound up turning on everyone to become part of the Institute. That ending really bummed me out because it was so promising getting the chance to take control of all of it upon "Father"'s death .That seemed like the perfect solution to everything to me. Take charge of the Institute and then change the way it does things .... Befriend the other factions except the Brotherhood and destroy them with superior technology. Bring freedom and prosperity to everyone. But nope! It just kind of ended, with me supposedly in charge but characters in the Institute still bossing me around -- and no chance to change anything. Lame!

I never did buy the DLC because unlike a lot of people? I didn't find much joy in all the constructing of buildings in the game. (I feel like that's a tedious and pointless effort unless you're in a multiplayer universe where things you build stick around for others to see, use or enjoy.) I really just wanted an add-on that provided some continuation to the story where they abruptly left it!

I don't expect everyone to love this game, but it sucked me right in. I enjoyed watching over and building settlements. The factions don't work together, but you can achieve an ending (as I previously claimed) where 3 factions can survive, but it's not intuitive, and you have to know or figure out which quests not to complete. I hold this against Bethesda, but I stilll enjoyed the game. ;)

Reactions: sartrekid

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Interesting that I disliked F3 and I am curious how F4 qualifies as soulless? Not a fight, interested in your perspective.
Fallout 3 is probably my all-time favourite game world. I'm not sure exactly what makes it so immersive or gives it such a sense of place, but after playing Fallout 4 I don't think Bethesda know what it was either.

In terms of the story, starting with a child rather than a fully formed adult was important, because you can imprint your own identity on him right from the beginning. I cared what happened to Vault 101 because I grew up there, and the story about lies being told to keep everyone afraid to venture outside was better than Fallout 4's baby-snatching nonsense. When you first open the vault door and step into the sunlight - that's a classic gaming moment, far better than anything Fallout 4 had to offer.

Having Fallout 4's character become a soldier for the Brotherhood or a Minutemen do-gooder seemed out of place to me. Why would he do that when, as far as he's concerned, it was only a few days ago that his wife was shot in the face and his infant son kidnapped while he watched.

Fallout 3's character is a wanderer in a new world, willingly exploring, becoming whatever you want him to be. It makes more sense, regardless of whether you decide to help people, kill people, fight mutants, get rich...

Fallout 3 is more open-ended, whereas 4 relies on a large number of characters who, because the story is so linear, are indispensable. If you kill somebody in Fallout 3 you must face the consequences (or reload) but Fallout 4 doesn't even give you that option.

Fallout 3 is dangerous - the first time I wandered into a town that had a Deathclaw was genuinely scary. I didn't last long and I didn't go back until much later. Strap on some Power Armour, which is more common than shotgun shells in Fallout 4, and you're basically invincible.

The Tranquility Lane mission - nothing in Fallout 4 is as memorable, imaginative or surprising, but Fallout 3 has several of this quality. The Oasis area, for example - who saw that coming? In contrast, very little in Fallout 4 is particularly original and even the 'follow Liberty Prime and do something with a reactor' ending that I had is very similar to 3.

So, there you go. Not that I didn't like Fallout 4 to begin with - I thought it was going to be the game of the year at first - but as it went on my enthusiasm turned into disappointment.

Reactions: Huntn

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Fallout 3 is probably my all-time favourite game world. I'm not sure exactly what makes it so immersive or gives it such a sense of place, but after playing Fallout 4 I don't think Bethesda know what it was either.

In terms of the story, starting with a child rather than a fully formed adult was important, because you can imprint your own identity on him right from the beginning. I cared what happened to Vault 101 because I grew up there, and the story about lies being told to keep everyone afraid to venture outside was better than Fallout 4's baby-snatching nonsense. When you first open the vault door and step into the sunlight - that's a classic gaming moment, far better than anything Fallout 4 had to offer.

Having Fallout 4's character become a soldier for the Brotherhood or a Minutemen do-gooder seemed out of place to me. Why would he do that when, as far as he's concerned, it was only a few days ago that his wife was shot in the face and his infant son kidnapped while he watched.

Fallout 3's character is a wanderer in a new world, willingly exploring, becoming whatever you want him to be. It makes more sense, regardless of whether you decide to help people, kill people, fight mutants, get rich...

Fallout 3 is more open-ended, whereas 4 relies on a large number of characters who, because the story is so linear, are indispensable. If you kill somebody in Fallout 3 you must face the consequences (or reload) but Fallout 4 doesn't even give you that option.

Fallout 3 is dangerous - the first time I wandered into a town that had a Deathclaw was genuinely scary. I didn't last long and I didn't go back until much later. Strap on some Power Armour, which is more common than shotgun shells in Fallout 4, and you're basically invincible.

The Tranquility Lane mission - nothing in Fallout 4 is as memorable, imaginative or surprising, but Fallout 3 has several of this quality. The Oasis area, for example - who saw that coming? In contrast, very little in Fallout 4 is particularly original and even the 'follow Liberty Prime and do something with a reactor' ending that I had is very similar to 3.

So, there you go. Not that I didn't like Fallout 4 to begin with - I thought it was going to be the game of the year at first - but as it went on my enthusiasm turned into disappointment.

although I think fallout 4 is a great game I do agree with some of your comments. firstly the story, your kid is out there, but the best way to get the most from the game is not see that as too important and go off and do other things.

also agree that power armour is too powerful.

I'm trying to get back into the game. I finished it on my mac, except nukaworld, but then bought it cheap for ps4, and thought id love to replay it but I'm struggling. to try to make it interesting ive gone with a female character, but not sure if that's really going to make a difference, plus I'm telling mself that I wont use power armour at all, instead ill have a museum of power armour in sanctuary for every suit I find. it seems daft not only that power armour is so powerful, but also that so much effort has been put into creating interesting normal armour in the game, that no one wears coz its not power armour.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I'm trying to get back into the game. I finished it on my mac, except nukaworld, but then bought it cheap for ps4, and thought id love to replay it but I'm struggling. to try to make it interesting
That's another thing that was better in Fallout 3 - the replayability. The karma system meant people reacted to you differently according to how you played, which doesn't happen in Fallout 4.

After I finished Fallout 3 playing as a good guy I went back for a full evil run-through as a female character. My reputation as a murderer and thief spread across the wasteland and the game was very different indeed. You can even become a vampire. You can kill radio announcer Three Dog (why isn't there a character like that in 4?) and you get a snarky comments from his unwilling replacement. It was great fun until I entered one of the DLC areas and a bug meant I was unable to turn in my final quest due to a character being frozen. All of my saves were in that area, so it was game over.

Another thing that Fallout 4 doesn't do very well is loot. I was carrying around a ton of junk, it's impossible to keep track of it all. After a while I'd just dump it all at a workbench to clear out space and forget about it.

Weapons, too - there's no point in picking them up. In Fallout 3 you'd combine weapons to stop them degrading, improve their stats and free up space in your inventory. In Fallout 4 I used the same shotgun throughout the entire game. After maxing out the upgrades it was by far the best weapon I had from level 8 all the way to level 40 or whatever I was on when it finished. The only thing that stopped me using it 100% of the time was when I couldn't be bothered to go back to Diamond City to stock up on shells.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I think I should add that in my own case, I never played Fallout 3 before. In fact, I never played ANY of the Fallout series before installing 4. I think that has a lot to do with why I liked and was sucked in by the story so much. If I already played what people describe 3 as, I'd feel like 4 was just a re-hash of much of what I already went through and it'd be a lot harder to find it "great".

(EG. The "baby snatching nonsense" seemed like a pretty decent initial story-line to me. But if I played a similar game previously where I was actually allowed to play as a kid and grow up? Yeah, that would put a very different perspective on it.)

In my earlier post, it may have sounded like I didn't care for Fallout 4. That was definitely not the case. For me, it was more of a "love/hate" thing with the game. In fact? I don't think I've EVER played another title where I had those strong, conflicting feelings about it at the same time. I was very immersed in the world and the story. (My wife kept getting mad at me because I'd put on headphones and play it before bed-time on the computer in the bedroom, and she didn't get how it could be worth staying up late for. Heh....) If I didn't enjoy it so much, I wouldn't be so critical of it.

The story in 4 was absolutely too linear, but at the same time -- good enough so I could tolerate/overlook it as I played through it. There were a lot of frustrating AI limitations too, like characters who would say lines that were misplaced in the context of something you just did. That's just something I guess I've learned to accept, coming from playing computer and console games as far back as the 1980's, when memory and processor limitations meant NO game was going to offer a smarter AI than that. But still a little disappointing that 30 years later, we're seeing some of those same problems in game titles.

I did wind up buying "New Vegas" after finishing 4, because it was on sale for under $10 and I figured I might like it too. Honestly? Not so much.... I felt like the game mechanics were all a step backwards, and I found it annoying and tedious how often my weapons would "wear out" and how pretty much none of the food or drink gave you more than a temporary "buff" of a few seconds. There was way too much walking around in the desert sand too, with not a lot to look at. And I eventually discovered all of the mods people did for it -- some of which look like they really bring the graphics up to modern standards. But I had nothing but problems trying to get those to all load and work properly. I got one guy's collection of bug fixes to load ok, which is good -- but not all the replacement textures and so on. Ultimately, I just quit burning my free time messing with it. Didn't even complete enough of the quests to be allowed past the gate in to New Vegas itself. Wasn't enjoying it.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
The "baby snatching nonsense" seemed like a pretty decent initial story-line to me. But if I played a similar game previously where I was actually allowed to play as a kid and grow up? Yeah, that would put a very different perspective on it.
You should definitely try Fallout 3, I think it's the best of the entire series. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction, and that initial theme of being imprisoned by a learned fear of the outside world is a classic. So many great stories have been based on it, from Logan's Run to Wool, even The Matrix at a stretch. Fallout 3 is built on a solid foundation.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think I should add that in my own case, I never played Fallout 3 before. In fact, I never played ANY of the Fallout series before installing 4. I think that has a lot to do with why I liked and was sucked in by the story so much. If I already played what people describe 3 as, I'd feel like 4 was just a re-hash of much of what I already went through and it'd be a lot harder to find it "great".

(EG. The "baby snatching nonsense" seemed like a pretty decent initial story-line to me. But if I played a similar game previously where I was actually allowed to play as a kid and grow up? Yeah, that would put a very different perspective on it.)

In my earlier post, it may have sounded like I didn't care for Fallout 4. That was definitely not the case. For me, it was more of a "love/hate" thing with the game. In fact? I don't think I've EVER played another title where I had those strong, conflicting feelings about it at the same time. I was very immersed in the world and the story. (My wife kept getting mad at me because I'd put on headphones and play it before bed-time on the computer in the bedroom, and she didn't get how it could be worth staying up late for. Heh....) If I didn't enjoy it so much, I wouldn't be so critical of it.

The story in 4 was absolutely too linear, but at the same time -- good enough so I could tolerate/overlook it as I played through it. There were a lot of frustrating AI limitations too, like characters who would say lines that were misplaced in the context of something you just did. That's just something I guess I've learned to accept, coming from playing computer and console games as far back as the 1980's, when memory and processor limitations meant NO game was going to offer a smarter AI than that. But still a little disappointing that 30 years later, we're seeing some of those same problems in game titles.

I did wind up buying "New Vegas" after finishing 4, because it was on sale for under $10 and I figured I might like it too. Honestly? Not so much.... I felt like the game mechanics were all a step backwards, and I found it annoying and tedious how often my weapons would "wear out" and how pretty much none of the food or drink gave you more than a temporary "buff" of a few seconds. There was way too much walking around in the desert sand too, with not a lot to look at. And I eventually discovered all of the mods people did for it -- some of which look like they really bring the graphics up to modern standards. But I had nothing but problems trying to get those to all load and work properly. I got one guy's collection of bug fixes to load ok, which is good -- but not all the replacement textures and so on. Ultimately, I just quit burning my free time messing with it. Didn't even complete enough of the quests to be allowed past the gate in to New Vegas itself. Wasn't enjoying it.

I spent an awful lot of time in F4 doing bunches of quests besides the main quest fufilling the bidding of factions. This made the main quest seem not so linear, however I've already expressed my disappointment about the options given to the player to resolve The Institute. Still a great game for me. :D
[doublepost=1485148055][/doublepost]
I'm doing the Nuka World DLC and gee it looks like Bethesda wants me to become a raider. However there is a quest Open Season that has you killing raiders once again. Question- has anyone played this so you can get a raider faction perk, but not permanently piss off Preston Garvey (because you gave settlements to raiders)? Here are two guide links:

http://www.carls-fallout-4-guide.com/nuka-world/quests/open-season.php

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/01/fallout-4-nuka-world-endings-guide-perks-rewards-gangs-open-season/
In Nuka World I've done several quests at the bidding of raider faction leaders, one was to secure a cache guarded by Super Mutants, and oops, I accidentally killed the faction members on this quest with me in the process. ;)

Then I went and found a guy in Good Neighbor they wanted a collar put on, to force him to return to Nuka World as a scavenger. Once I found him, I decided to pass on this quest and let him go. Now I have to return to Nuka World and see if there is any blowback. My plan is to do as much as I can without turning over settlements to these bad people, and to avoid killing settlers around the Commonwealth, give parts of the Nuka World park to different factions for now, but will eventually execute the Open Season Quest on these barbarians. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.