Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

is your Air good at flash video? post comments ^^

• Rev A; is good

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Rev A; NOT good!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Rev B; is good

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Rev B; NOT good!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Rev C; is good

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Rev C; NOT good!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
So I've had my Rev A Air for about 18 months now, and I love it. But for online videos, most of which are flash, I use my old Windows laptop which for it is simply better.

If I try to watch the iPlayer (online flash-based TV shows, like hulu I think), or Youtube for more than 10 minutes, even in standard definition, the fans zooom off, and soon it's frame skipping intolerably, maybe 2fps, maybe worse...
Again, this is not about standard format videos. Those work ok.

What problems do other Air owners have with flash video, in all formats? Particularly the later models.

in summary:

Rev A
standard flash video after 10 minutes slows down a lot.

thanks ^^

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I've got the Rev A high end model - and I am not quite sure what Scottsdale and others are seeing - I may have a unique high build or something but I've got no problems with flash video - I can watch hours of Hulu without an issue at all!

I remember pulling out the original iBook (Colorful tank design) and remember that it simply doesn't work but the MBA works like a charm!!!

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I've got the Rev A high end model - and I am not quite sure what Scottsdale and others are seeing - I may have a unique high build or something but I've got no problems with flash video - I can watch hours of Hulu without an issue at all!

I remember pulling out the original iBook (Colorful tank design) and remember that it simply doesn't work but the MBA works like a charm!!!

My wife uses our Rev A MBA but video stutters

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Penryn CPU at 1.86 GHz or 2.13 GHz is good with Nvidia GPU.

Original MBA is bad. Merom CPU is bad paired with integrated Intel graphics.

Doesn't matter whether HDD or SSD.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Would be happy to show you on your original MBA if you ever visit Scottsdale, AZ. It's factual. You want to see the positive and that's a great thing but your view is slanted. I wish we could all pay $899 for an original MBA with 1.8 and SSD and it would run everything perfect, but that's just not reality. Sorry if the truth hurts. Heck I wish my original MBA and all others I have seen since could do everything the Penryn CPU and Nvidia GPU can, but it's just incapable.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Would be happy to show you on your original MBA if you ever visit Scottsdale, AZ. It's factual. You want to see the positive and that's a great thing but your view is slanted. I wish we could all pay $899 for an original MBA with 1.8 and SSD and it would run everything perfect, but that's just not reality. Sorry if the truth hurts. Heck I wish my original MBA and all others I have seen since could do everything the Penryn CPU and Nvidia GPU can, but it's just incapable.

Well add that to two Rev. A that work just fine. If the man says that his works just fine then take his word for it. I will also add my word that it runs just fine! I think your view is a little slanted! Sorry yours was a POS ours arent. Enjoy your Rev C. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Rev B, HDD model. Flash is great. I mean yes, it causes fans to spin up but such is life. Nothing totally bad or alarming.

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
I have two MBA's but I could only vote once in the poll.:mad:

Unfortunately couldn't vote for my rev. b being fantastic!

ahh sorry!! Thanks for sharing though.
The stats seem to suggest that most of the problems are with the rev a; the newer ones pretty much rectify insufficiencies. And that's mostly backed up by what people are saying!!

wonder how the stats will change

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i got rev A which i already sold because of the dreaded core shutdown when watching videos.

after that i bought 2 rev B with SSD.

both the machines are good.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Rev. A with horrible flash performance. I do use ClickToFlash, though. It helps with embedded YouTube clips by loading the H.264 version instead.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Perhaps the poll could better capture results with the breakdown between 1.6/1.8 on the different revs

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Perhaps the poll could better capture results with the breakdown between 1.6/1.8 on the different revs

I know; had it been possible I'd have polled all the hardware specs! But the Rev version feels the most relevant. After that, people can post more info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.