Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Well I've got the parts for another i7 2600k / GTX 560 rig coming tomorrow, so that should help!

There will be a few days of leak and stability testing before it gets unleashed, but hopefully by midweek there will be an extra 45k ppd.

Watercooling eh? Should be sweet!

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Added my MacBook Pro 2011 i7 to the team. Sits at my home office or work office most of the time and I'm usually on the road with my MacBook Air. Time to put it to good use instead of being idle!!!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Congrats guys! We just passed another team!
Unfortunately, it looks like another team is going to pass us in about a week, but a few days later we should pass another team, and the tide turns in our favor for about 5-6 months of passing teams without to much risk of getting passed ourselves. Keep up the good work! I'm liking these high 700k points days! Let's see if we can get to 800k/day this next week!:D

yeah great job guys! we gotta keep it going!

Well I've got the parts for another i7 2600k / GTX 560 rig coming tomorrow, so that should help!

There will be a few days of leak and stability testing before it gets unleashed, but hopefully by midweek there will be an extra 45k ppd.

nice! so how many rigs are you up to now?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Well, that didn't exactly go to plan!

I really should have measured everything first, so I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday to get some right angled compression fittings.

It was either the GPU or the funky reservoir that had to give, so in the end I put the new GTX560Ti in another rig and will use its GT430 in the new one.

pic.jpg

This is going to be rig number 9, although only 4 are currently folding 24/7 for MacRumors. Another 2 fold GPUs most nights though.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well, that didn't exactly go to plan!

I really should have measured everything first, so I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday to get some right angled compression fittings.

It was either the GPU or the funky reservoir that had to give, so in the end I put the new GTX560Ti in another rig and will use its GT430 in the new one.

View attachment 319056

This is going to be rig number 9, although only 4 are currently folding 24/7 for MacRumors. Another 2 fold GPUs most nights though.

that looks like a nice rig there. what case is that?

dang, 9 rigs! i don't think my house could support 9 rigs folding. i currently have 2 desktops folding, a 2006 mac pro (server), and another desktop not folding (games). and i have 2 macbook pros (not folding). i did have another desktop folding with the current 2, and if my wife tried to dry her hair or vacuum the room, it would flip the circuit!

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
that looks like a nice rig there. what case is that?

Thanks, its an NZXT Phantom 410.

It's a good case, just a little tight for room when water-cooling. The radiator is just grazing the ram clips. If I'd been a little braver I could have cut out the optical bays to give more room up front for the reservoir and pump - then I could have used a long graphics card as well.

I will struggle to trip my breaker here - 30A on the ring at 240V is 7200W !!

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Thanks, its an NZXT Phantom 410.

It's a good case, just a little tight for room when water-cooling. The radiator is just grazing the ram clips. If I'd been a little braver I could have cut out the optical bays to give more room up front for the reservoir and pump - then I could have used a long graphics card as well.

I will struggle to trip my breaker here - 30A on the ring at 240V is 7200W !!

oh ok. i'll keep those cases in mind the next time i build a rig.

hmm, i'm not sure how many amps or volts we have here. i'll try to find out though

Man I wish I still had my rig(s) :p my electric bill killed me though.

hey i understand exactly what you mean. but hey, you can rack up a lot of points with just one rig! we'd love to have you folding again!

dirtyspeed3

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Just signed up with my iMac desktop. I did this a long time ago with my PS3 but forgot about it until today.
I don't know what the hell it's doing because there's no GUI? All I see is it's using 395% CPU.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Just signed up with my iMac desktop. I did this a long time ago with my PS3 but forgot about it until today.
I don't know what the hell it's doing because there's no GUI? All I see is it's using 395% CPU.

There is not a GUI. If it is using almost 400% of your CPU, it is working. An easy way to monitor it is with a widget. I like this one. You can view your points on the team stats page here. Did you get a passkey?

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I would sign in but I only have laptops. Having a battery life of 30 minutes in class wouldn't be exactly awesome... ;) Eventually when I update them I will use them for this, but it won't be before another 3 years.

If it makes a difference, there is a way to configure it so it only runs on AC power.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
New Orleans didn't chill as expected this year... temperatures were never ideal for folding. Always ranged in the from low 60s to low 70s. Nothing like 2009/2010 winter season that kept temps at a mid-low 50s average.

My electric bill would have murdered me.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
New Orleans didn't chill as expected this year... temperatures were never ideal for folding. Always ranged in the from low 60s to low 70s. Nothing like 2009/2010 winter season that kept temps at a mid-low 50s average.

My electric bill would have murdered me.

yeah i understand. the winter here hasn't been like it was last year either. i still try to fold some, but it's tough

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I got my Mac Pro going again. It has been a few years since I was at it. We were in the 20s back when I was folding. Either way with all these new high output folks I won't even be in the top 20 once my machine gets going. :(

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I got my Mac Pro going again. It has been a few years since I was at it. We were in the 20s back when I was folding. Either way with all these new high output folks I won't even be in the top 20 once my machine gets going. :(

Sweet! Glad to have you back on the team! I have to ask, but have you used/gotten a passkey?:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.