Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Are plants the future and animal based protein the soon to be past?

I listened to a very interesting report on NPR where a prediction was made that we would change our diets to rely on plant protein instead of animal protein, fundamentally more economic and environmentally friendly, and it would fundamentally change our relationship with animals, not viewing them as a source of food, but co-inhabitants of the planet. A vegan plot? :)

KELLOGG’S EXECUTIVE SAYS THE FUTURE OF PROTEIN IS VEGAN AT THE GOOD FOOD CONFERENCE
https://www.livekindly.co/kelloggs-future-protein-vegan/

Scaling of Plant Based Protein
https://www.forumforthefuture.org/plant-based-protein-consumption

In the US, there is a lack of mainstream demand for plant-based proteins, partly because consumers equate protein with animal-based sources, and also see meat, fish and poultry as more tasty and nutritious than plant-based sources of protein. These preferences are formed in childhood.

Food Choices and the Planet
http://www.earthsave.org/environment.htm
It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of feedlot beef.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Are plants the future and animal based protein the soon to be past?

I listened to a very interesting report on NPR where a prediction was made that we would change our diets to rely on plant protein instead of animal protein, fundamentally more economic and environmentally friendly, and it would fundamentally change our relationship with animals, not viewing them as a source of food, but co-inhabitants of the planet. A vegan plot? :)

KELLOGG’S EXECUTIVE SAYS THE FUTURE OF PROTEIN IS VEGAN AT THE GOOD FOOD CONFERENCE
https://www.livekindly.co/kelloggs-future-protein-vegan/

Scaling of Plant Based Protein
https://www.forumforthefuture.org/plant-based-protein-consumption

In the US, there is a lack of mainstream demand for plant-based proteins, partly because consumers equate protein with animal-based sources, and also see meat, fish and poultry as more tasty and nutritious than plant-based sources of protein. These preferences are formed in childhood.

Food Choices and the Planet
http://www.earthsave.org/environment.htm
It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of feedlot beef.

When one ponders on the original reason why cornflakes were invented, or produced, I'm not all that sure that I would consider Kellogg's as an authority on anything to do with food.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Eh, so long as it tastes good, who cares about the environmental impact. ;)

Always interesting to see how much morality varies regarding meat consumption. For some, the incredible inefficiency of and pain caused by meat consumption is irrelevant; it's habitual and tastes good. For others everyone who isn't strictly vegan and dodges insects on the sidewalk is a filthy murderer… despite the fact that they were gnawin' on corpses not too long ago and, statically speaking, will give up their diet pretty soon.

I think this was posted the last time somebody brought up meat/vegi/vegan/whatver:

I want to see one called "If Cannibals Acted Like Meat-Eaters" as the rationals for both can line up pretty nicely:
  • It tastes good, so I don't care.
  • I make sure what I eat was treated kindly before slaughter.
  • It probably has less emotional capacity than me.
  • It's not as smart as me.
  • Not as cute as my cat or dog (despite having equal or greater intelligence).
  • Humans evolved to eat meat. Evolution!
The only downside to eating non-humans over humans is that the latter might have a positive environmental impact. :p Note: I'm not genuinely saying you should take up a cannibalistic diet.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Nope. Not giving up meat any time soon, no matter what a bunch of vegan ninnies might want. I like vegetables well enough, but I like meat much more. There is virtually no vegetable on the planet that is even a fraction as satisfying as a nice piece of meat or fish. I have a flat of NY Strip Steaks waiting to go on the grill this evening. Also some nice sweet potatoes to go as a side, with some mushrooms, too. Vegetation has its place. It makes a decent side for meat.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Well as someone who has lost 70 pounds on the Atkins diets, I can say both that I will continue with my meat based diet and that I ageee with the points made in the OP. It’s just inevitable that more people will switch to vegetarian diets as long as there are tasty and cheaper alternatives to meat and it’s better for the environment. It will be like electric cars. Once they are as plentiful in the showroom, cheaper and more places to charge, more and More people will get them.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nope. Not giving up meat any time soon, no matter what a bunch of vegan ninnies might want. I like vegetables well enough, but I like meat much more. There is virtually no vegetable on the planet that is even a fraction as satisfying as a nice piece of meat or fish. I have a flat of NY Strip Steaks waiting to go on the grill this evening. Also some nice sweet potatoes to go as a side, with some mushrooms, too. Vegetation has its place. It makes a decent side for meat.
This is not a Vegan argument coming from me, just a discussion of the topic.

As said this preference is learned as a child. Who knows what the future holds? When I look at the resources needed to produce 1 lb of beef, I think the question can rightfully be asked. Did you know that cattle lots and farms can rightfully be listed as heavy industry as far as their impact on the environment?
[doublepost=1542484742][/doublepost]
When one ponders on the original reason why cornflakes were invented, or produced, I'm not all that sure that I would consider Kellogg's as an authority on anything to do with food.
Well they are and have been involved for decades in the production of commercial foods, so I would say they know something, however, one can always question motivations. :)
[doublepost=1542484881][/doublepost]
You got enough for the rest of us... right? If not, time out for you!
Recommended portion of meat in a meal: 4 oz. I'm sure you are under that. :D:p

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I’m veggie anyway, bordering on vegan, so my diet wouldn’t change that much. However, would be good if it happens, if nothing else because the range and availability of vegan foods would massively increase :cool:
What do you do about foods containing gelatin, like marshmallows, gummy candy, and capsule-based pills? I'm fond of Jelly Belly® Jelly Beans which are made with beeswax rather than gelatin, but pills are harder to find sans pork-product.

Reactions: SoggyCheese

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Why does everything always have to be so depressingly absolutist? I'd suggest we need to return to eating less meat, like people did even up to the 1980s. It's a really recent development to have meat every day, let alone multiple times a day. Certainly meats like Beef or Lamb. If everyone went flexitarian and had meat sometimes, not all the time, then we could farm animals on a humane scale once again.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
I do believe we will get to non-flesh based meat someday. Science can do wonders, in the future it will most likely be cheaper to make and more flexible in terms of logistics, long term storage, etc than to raise animals for meat production.

Looking forward to that day.

What do you do about foods containing gelatin, like marshmallows, gummy candy, and capsule-based pills? I'm fond of Jelly Belly® Jelly Beans which are made with beeswax rather than gelatin, but pills are harder to find sans pork-product.
I do my best to avoid anything with gelatine in. I’m sure I’ve eaten some over the years in a restaurant served dessert (probably in France), but if buying myself I check the ingredients. Don’t take capsule based pills either. Don’t trust that they are gelatine free.

Reactions: AngerDanger

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why does everything always have to be so depressingly absolutist? I'd suggest we need to return to eating less meat, like people did even up to the 1980s. It's a really recent development to have meat every day, let alone multiple times a day. Certainly meats like Beef or Lamb. If everyone went flexitarian and had meat sometimes, not all the time, then we could farm animals on a humane scale once again.

Very sensible, and an excellent post.

While I have no intention of becoming vegetarian (I like Parma ham and salami too much) still less a vegan (what? forego cheese?), I think that there is small need to eat meat daily, or more than a few times a week.

Reduced meat intake, from ethically reared animals (and fowl) treated with respect, will allow for healthier farming practices and a more balanced diet.

Sometimes, one simply needs a flavour of meat - such as when I would use pancetta with pasta.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Very sensible, and an excellent post.

While I have no intention of becoming vegetarian (I like Parma ham and salami too much) still less a vegan (what? forego cheese?), I think that there is small need to eat meat daily, or more than a few times a week.

Reduced meat intake, from ethically reared and traded animals (and fowl), will allow for healthier farming practices and a more balanced diet.

Sometimes, one simply needs a flavour of meat - such as when I would use pancetta with pasta.
I'd also add I'm all for eating more offal as well to reduce waste - tongue and various pâtés are very underrated and would be excellent substitutes for the sort of sliced reformed sandwich meats that are currently the go-tos!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
At least this time I did not post about eating BUGS. :D However seriously, if bug protein can be made palatable, I don't know, maybe it all ready is, bugs would be a slam dunk on production costs as compared to beef. I've enjoyed many a veggie burger over the years. Lately I slacked off. Maybe I should go check out the frozen section of the grocery store.

At least this time I did not post about eating BUGS. :D However seriously, if bug protein can be made palatable, I don't know, maybe it all ready is, bugs would be a slam dunk on production costs as compared to beef. I've enjoyed many a veggie burger over the years. Lately I slacked off. Maybe I should go check out the frozen section of the grocery store.
I read somewhere that prawns and cockroaches are closely related species, if true then a lot of people are already eating salty bugs without realising it.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I read somewhere that prawns and cockroaches are closely related species, if true then a lot of people are already eating salty bugs without realising it.
Yeah, they may be loosely related to each other on the Earthly DNA tree, but it will be a cold day in you know where when I or most others go into a restaurant and order a dish of cockroach scampi. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.