Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I use IceweaselPPC and arctic fox on my 1.33 iBook G4 for daily Internet browsing. Not many use their PPC macs daily for this purpose for understandable reasons.
But What shocked me was the performance and usability of IceweaselPPC on my recently purchased 400mhz iMac with just 256mb of ram. Tenfourfox unoptimized is unusable utter garbage and is slow on the iBook G4.
With IceweaselPPC and arctic fox I can get around the Internet on my new IMac decently. My 600mhz iMac feels worlds faster but that's probably because of the 1gb of ram. It's my favourite PPC browser.

What's the future of the Iceweasel browser, and the Iceweasel brand name? It's a really good browser and even though it's technically tenfourfox with a different name and logo and optimizations, I think it would be great if we could all contribute to make this browser something more than just tff with tweaks.

Someone told me I'll never do anything modern at 400mhz and 256mb of ram but look what IceweaselPPC lets me do that tenfourfox never did.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 426

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Tenfourfox unoptimized is unusable utter garbage and is slow on the iBook G4.

Not with PowerUOC. ;)

What's the future of the Iceweasel browser, and the Iceweasel brand name?

Iceweasel used to be Debian's rebranding of Firefox (so they could avoid legal problems). It doesn't belong to us. If you ask me, the ultimate OOB, PPC-optimized EOL TFF should be named something besides "IceWeasel-PPC". Certainly something a little more accurate, and to the point.

TenFourFoxUltra... TenFastFox... VelocityFx...

Here's one... "TenFourFox: Autobahn Edition". :)

Don't forget, the Aqua / Aurora branding is up for the taking.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Not with PowerUOC. ;)

Iceweasel used to be Debian's rebranding of Firefox (so they could avoid legal problems). It doesn't belong to us. If you ask me, the ultimate OOB, PPC-optimized EOL TFF should be named something besides "IceWeasel-PPC". Certainly something a little more accurate, and to the point.

TenFourFoxUltra... TenFastFox... VelocityFx...

Here's one... "TenFourFox: Autobahn Edition". :)

Don't forget, the Aqua / Aurora branding is up for the taking.
AquaFox sounds like a good name, and could be the IceWeasel brand name replacement, it's just such a good browser as you saw what my imac is able to do.

Reactions: z970

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Especially as "Aqua" is synonymous with "TenFour", or "10.4".

Probably best that, as there did actually used to be an AuroraFox...
We should ask whoever made IceweaselPPC to modify it to say aquafox with a custom logo.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Someone told me I'll never do anything modern at 400mhz and 256mb of ram but look what IceweaselPPC lets me do that tenfourfox never did.

TFF works so much better with the tweaks from @eyoungren or @z970mp and @looking4awayout. ;)

There's always a naysayer who claims that older hardware cannot serve a viable purpose but this forum has shown otherwise. :)

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I've been using a 1.5Ghz 15" PowerBook G4 as my main portable for a little over a year; using stock, unmodified TFF. Not "unusable garbage". Perfectly usable. However, I am enjoying PowerUOC on it. I also use articfox, IceWeasel, and Leopard Webkit from time to time.

Stock TFF on the PB is able to handle 360p youtube/embedded videos that are on web pages. Local playback or webkit is still the easiest option on a G4 like that one IMO. I haven't tested video playback with PowerUOC but I don't expect it to be any better than stock TFF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.