Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macincar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
I'm using a Mac Pro with 1 GB of RAM, and I have 4 hard drives installed. I found it really a pain that my HDs will go "sleep" themselves. The situation is if you haven't accessed a HD for like 10-20 minuets, it will lower the spinning speed (you can hear the noise!) and then it will give you the beach ball if you want to access it (the noise of speeding up!). WHY?? Really annoying! Is that because I don't have enough RAM? :confused:

NEED HELP,MAC Geniuses!!:apple:

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
Go to system prefs. Under the Energy Saver, there is a sleep tab, and a check box for "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible." Uncheck this box.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
Well, running the harddrives all the time is a good way to ruin them. The hds themselves probably decide to "sleep" to prolong their lives. Is your life really so fast-paced that you can't wait 5-10 seconds for your hd to spin up when you need it?

macincar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Seems like lots of people have encountered this problem, any solution? Maybe some Terminal hacking?

Well, running the harddrives all the time is a good way to ruin them. The hds themselves probably decide to "sleep" to prolong their lives. Is your life really so fast-paced that you can't wait 5-10 seconds for your hd to spin up when you need it?
I just can't stand the stupid lags when access the HDs. :mad:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

id be interested if starting up and slowing down hurts the drive more than having it on continously. throughout the day it probably spins down like a good 5-10 times on me easy

n0d3

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2006

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
look up this plist file. See how second row under "AC Power" there's a "Disk Sleep Timer" setting? Make sure that's zero (or maybe a large number, i guess). Sometimes System Preference forgets to update this file.

picture1jm4.png

macincar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006

macincar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
I have tried Cocktail and it works pretty well, just the way it should be. Big thumb up MacYang! Everyone try it if you're not afraid to torturing your hard drives and say goodbye to the BITCHING BEACH BALL OF DEATH!! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.