Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomekwsrod

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
Some time ago I bought Air Pods Pro (version I).

Apple had run a service program, that said they will replace your unit if it develops a crackling sound issue, or ANC stops working.

Unfortunately, my unit was affected by the crackling sound issue. I brought it to the iSpot, the service confirmed they crackle and replaced the Air Pods Pro. Some time passed and on the new, received unit the ANC stopped working. Moreover, the left pod started to crackle too.

The service program is now stopped (I double checked by calling and going to iSpot), so I will not get this unit replaced, but I doubt that any of those units are repaired. My Air Pods Pro still looks very new, the battery is superb on the case and on the Air Pods Pro, but there is no way to repair them. I have to trash them with the battery in the case and battery in the pods.

Now I can just imagine millions of those units, still mostly operational, being thrown away just because of defects that probably could be fixed if only they were designed to be able to be opened. What a waste of those technological marvels, and where is eco-friendliness in all of this non-repairable stuff.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Just? Have you tried it?
I had a huge collection of VHS tapes of old TV shows. I looked around and found that no one would take them.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
IMG_7275.png

Just? Have you tried it?
I had a huge collection of VHS tapes of old TV shows. I looked around and found that no one would take them.
But we’re talking AirPods. Apple will recycle any of their products free of charge to you.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Some time ago I bought Air Pods Pro (version I).

Apple had run a service program, that said they will replace your unit if it develops a crackling sound issue, or ANC stops working.

Unfortunately, my unit was affected by the crackling sound issue. I brought it to the iSpot, the service confirmed they crackle and replaced the Air Pods Pro. Some time passed and on the new, received unit the ANC stopped working. Moreover, the left pod started to crackle too.

The service program is now stopped (I double checked by calling and going to iSpot), so I will not get this unit replaced, but I doubt that any of those units are repaired. My Air Pods Pro still looks very new, the battery is superb on the case and on the Air Pods Pro, but there is no way to repair them. I have to trash them with the battery in the case and battery in the pods.

Now I can just imagine millions of those units, still mostly operational, being thrown away just because of defects that probably could be fixed if only they were designed to be able to be opened. What a waste of those technological marvels, and where is eco-friendliness in all of this non-repairable stuff.

Poor you.
We have many local shops ready to replace those tiny batteries. At a very reasonable price.

Reactions: addamas

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
That's not what Apple's been doing despite the greenwashing, and I think that's probably the poster's point

I would look at a bigger picture of the faked Apple earphones, other brand earphones flooding the market.
They all contain the toxic batteries. Apple is just another villain to the environment, the one that enjoyed the highest margin in selling those earphones.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
How exactly do Apple recycle - just remove parts, strip down, then create new units for resale as refurbs? Or are they actually disposed of 'sensibly'?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
It is always about the money! If Apple can make money on recycling it, they will recycle it!

If not it will end up in the landfill . . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.