Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
I’m quite optimistic about the headset, but I think one widespread misconception about it is that the biggest feature will be using it as a big monitor for your Mac (or to what movies). No one wants to wear a headset just to have a big projected screen, with much lower PPI (even with 4K/eye), small focused area, etc. Movies (and productivity apps) won’t be a projected rectangle on the wall, but immersive, full field-of-view experiences. I’ve head lots of comments about AAA games, but just playing at 100 inches doesn’t make much difference, it’s not a big leap forward. The big opportunity is to create realistic first person experiences — even games with simple mechanics would be amazing.

I’m not ruling out that it might be an option, but not the big thing. It reminds me of the original iPad: people thought it was going to run macOS, have a lot of ports, x86 processor, etc. — it was just meant to be a touch Mac, but it would have failed in that case, because the hardware, use context, interface precision, etc. would make it worse than a Mac. Instead, it found its own way. Same with the headset: I think it would fail as a Mac/iPad/iPhone replacement. Instead, it will be a new device that excels at some activities where the rest of devices can’t.

SirUnknown1984

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2023
While initially it’s likely going to have limited Mac integration- think iPad SideCar like features. I believe 4-5 iterations of Apple AR/VR is going to show it is the only computer interface platform necessary. I imagine visually impair will still need monitors and accessibility devices. But for the vast majority we will all do computing inside VR. It just has endless ways and flexibility to get work done. As a programmer it allows developers to really organize their screen space. The low PPI you mention is temporary. 4-5 generations of the device from now, I think, it’s going to be people’s primary device.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I certainly don’t see the use in using the headset as a monitor for my Mac, but I do see the use in using it to view media — I think this will be a big area of opportunity, and I think Apple TV+ content may play into this long term. I also don’t think this will be meant to replace any of their other devices.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I’m quite optimistic about the headset, but I think one widespread misconception about it is that the biggest feature will be using it as a big monitor for your Mac (or to what movies).
The monitor/movie screen use case means that the headset has a ton of content on day one. You bring up the iPad, but it’s mostly used for web browsing and video… not content specifically made for the iPad.

Movies (and productivity apps) won’t be a projected rectangle on the wall, but immersive, full field-of-view experiences.
Real-time 3D rendered content is relatively easy to adapt to VR.

It’s very hard to adapt video to the capabilities of VR. 180 or 360 content without 3D depth looks strange—you can look at 360 photo spheres in Google Earth VR, but it looks wrong when you look at the ground and it’s perceptually the same distance away as a mountain. And you can’t just put two 360 cameras side by side like when recording 3D movies. Maybe stereoscopic 180 would work for sports, but I don’t see it becoming common for scripted video content.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
One thing I’m looking forward to with this is the integration with my other devices when I am on my rowing machine.

I currently use the WaterRower app and AppleWatch workout app - but I’m thinking if the Watch software can track/detect my arm movements then with the immersive view it can leapfrog the rowing machine versions that play a video on an iPad while you row.

I also hope to put a virtual screen on my room wall that stays in situ while I move my head with “visual spatial transparency” (and “spatial audio” such as DolbyAtmos in airpods) so I can see the rest of my room and therefore inclusively watch movies with family who have their own headset(s). It might be able to replace my JVC Home Cinema projector.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I currently use the WaterRower app and AppleWatch workout app - but I’m thinking if the Watch software can track/detect my arm movements then with the immersive view it can leapfrog the rowing machine versions that play a video on an iPad while you row.
I don’t know how much attention Apple will give to the fitness/wellness aspect of this product, but there does seem to be a lot of opportunities for gamification in this area. I think any device that encourages a healthier lifestyle through unique experiences like you pointed out would be well worth the investment.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple can create virtual copies of Mac's for the VR Headset, and then, they can charge you for the optional different colours you can select your VR mac to look like ;)

• Haha
Reactions: OnawaAfrica

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
MVP (minimum viable product)

That's the first step in bringing anything to market. Build a headset with only the necessary features for people to buy it, because it solves one particular problem better than anything else on the market. Only if you have a MVP, you can start adding more features and try to replace other products, which have proven their value for decades. You wouldn't try to recruit unborn babies for your football team either.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
MVP (minimum viable product)

That's the first step in bringing anything to market. Build a headset with only the necessary features for people to buy it, because it solves one particular problem better than anything else on the market. Only if you have a MVP, you can start adding more features and try to replace other products, which have proven their value for decades. You wouldn't try to recruit unborn babies for your football team either.
Your statement that an MVP is the first step to bringing anything to market is false — it depends on the product, the market, and the company. An MVP might work for a startup, but to equate this mindset to that of a large cap company for their product strategy is absurd.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Your statement that an MVP is the first step to bringing anything to market is false — it depends on the product, the market, and the company. An MVP might work for a startup, but to equate this mindset to that of a large cap company for their product strategy is absurd.
The first iPhone came without 3G, MMS, Copy&Paste and without the AppStore. The MVP however included a proximity sensor, which turned the touchscreen off when you hold the phone to your ear, a phone app with visual voicemail, a software keyboard with predictive text, a slider to avoid accidental unlocking the phone in your pocket. And it still wasn't ready when they announced it on stage. To get just the basics right is incredibly hard, even for a giant corporation like Apple.

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022
I would like to share as an Apple user with a Quest pro, I cannot go back to iPad or regular monitor after using the quest pro with full passthrough. the ar experience even in the browser is really good. i think apple will do a better job. i will wait for the second iteration just like with the watch. I even sold my tv.

anselpela

Suspended
May 17, 2023
Hopefully you're wrong, because being able to project unlimited screen real estate while working on a Mac would be the only reason I would even consider wearing a stupid headset for any period of time.

phill85

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
I want one and it’s made to eventually replace all your devices

phill85

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
You can see ten years from now, all you need to buy is the apple vision pro 10. Simple slide these glasses on and you have phone call capability, incredible computing power, immersive experiences wherever. Real life black mirror

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
They are calling it a “spatial computer”, so yes, I believe that Apple sees this as a replacement Mac. I suppose it could be considered a new category of form factor akin to a 2-in-1. So it doesn’t necessarily replace your Mac if you don’t want it to, but it can. It’s a computer. You use it when you want to use a computer and you take it off when you’re done using your computer. Except this computer you can “use” moving about your environment if you like.

Stevenyo

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2020
While initially it’s likely going to have limited Mac integration- think iPad SideCar like features. I believe 4-5 iterations of Apple AR/VR is going to show it is the only computer interface platform necessary. I imagine visually impair will still need monitors and accessibility devices. But for the vast majority we will all do computing inside VR. It just has endless ways and flexibility to get work done. As a programmer it allows developers to really organize their screen space. The low PPI you mention is temporary. 4-5 generations of the device from now, I think, it’s going to be people’s primary device.
This. Sometime in the 2030s there won't be Macs, iphones, Apple watches or ipads anymore. There will be VisionOS Augmented Reality glasses and various peripherals and compute devices. Need M10Max performance and a keyboard? Buy the "Compute keyboard pro," a Macbook pro with no display. want just a little more gamimg oomph? Buy the "Gamepad Pro," a gaming controller with extra GPU oomph built in. Etc. This is the 2007 iPhone, the firewire only, mac only iPod, the 128k mac. It will be remembered as the start of a huge change, but will be quickly obsolete as a singular device, rapidly surpassed by cheaper, more fully featured succsors. M2 +R1 for $3500 in 2024, M5 + R3 + see through front glass true AR functionality for $1500 in 2027.

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
I think (still betterl: I know) that the desktop metaphor has been outdated for decades but unfortunately even the members of the new generations are slaves to it, and they hardly realize it.
3D viewers were imagined in the middle of the last century, while the desktop metaphor was already taking its first steps on archaic tools such as a keyboard. They have been described in the literature that disco music was not yet fashionable. They entered mass culture when the Visitors were in vogue. They were made when Jobs was about to be kicked out of Apple. If there's one thing that scares people, it's learning a new concept, even if it's 50 years old. Especially if we force them to think with centuries-old concepts. This is the big limit of technology (and not only), on which companies profit for decades.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Although the technology seems amazing, I don’t see myself raising arms, lifting fingers, for several hours in a day (work or video games), with a precision that remains to be confirmed. I doubt it will be as precise as a keyboard +mouse combo.

I mean, can't you use the keyboard and mouse with it?

A few things to note: one demo showed a person looking at his macbook screen and the screen went dark and then it reconstituted as a giant display in front of him. he then could use the mac keyboard but had multiple (3?) giant monitors in space.

One demo showed a woman in her hotel room doing work like that. Im thinking, hauling around three giant monitors or just a headset.... pretty nice for road warriors to have a massive desktop setup everywhere.

Of course, how good is this display in space? Can you really focus on MS word or do a PPT or work in xcode like this? How do mice work with it? Does a mouse pointer interfere or fight the eye tracking or does it work similar to the ipad mouse support vs touch. Like most of you I would not just wave my hands around to code on a virtual keyboard in space, though I know they showed that at one point.

-d

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.