Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
What do you think of this?

I agree that Tim carried the company to greatness from a financial perspective but he certainly lowered its standards in other areas that Steve succeeded at beautifully.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
What do I think? It's a clip show, not a documentary.

I don't think Tim Cook gets enough credit, to be honest.

Apple is now a significant part of the economy of the United States. There's not many pension funds, mutual funds, ETFs, index funds, etc. that don't include AAPL. Millions of Americans rely on AAPL to continue to succeed.

That's a heavy burden to carry and that requires a commanding attention to boring things like product margins, operational costs, stock buybacks, pleasing institutional shareholders and fame-seeking politicians, etc.

Jobs never had to worry about this. He got to spend most of his day in product design and advertising.

Cook has a damn tough job and while the title may be the same, the job is not. He will be remembered as one of the best CEOs ever in corporate America.

DevyniColiai

Suspended
Dec 21, 2023
What do I think? It's a clip show, not a documentary.

I don't think Tim Cook gets enough credit, to be honest.

Apple is now a significant part of the economy of the United States. There's not many pension funds, mutual funds, ETFs, index funds, etc. that don't include AAPL. Millions of Americans rely on AAPL to continue to succeed.

That's a heavy burden to carry and that requires a commanding attention to boring things like product margins, operational costs, stock buybacks, pleasing institutional shareholders and fame-seeking politicians, etc.

Jobs never had to worry about this. He got to spend most of his day in product design and advertising.

Cook has a damn tough job and while the title may be the same, the job is not. He will be remembered as one of the best CEOs ever in corporate America.
Still the standard has gone down.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: I7guy and BugeyeSTI

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's most definitely a documentary. A pretty good one too. Well written, well presented, what's not to like?

I didn't say I didn't like it. I don't consider clip shows with an editorial to be a "documentary."

There was no original research, interviews, footage, etc. Where's the sourcing and credit for the clips and photos?

The narrative of the editorial is that Tim Cook will retire sometime soon and that's big shoes to fill. That's a huge assumption. Cook himself said, as recently as two months ago, he has no plans to retire within the next 5 years.

If you were going to make a documentary, there are a ton of people that could have been interviewed that work outside Apple for this including tech journalists, book authors, etc.

That's not the point of the thread though.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here

That right there is what Apple today is missing.

There's not many pension funds, mutual funds, ETFs, index funds, etc. that don't include AAPL. Millions of Americans rely on AAPL to continue to succeed. That's a heavy burden to carry.

That's not what Apple should exist for. No company should exist to become this.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
That's not what Apple should exist for. No company should exist to become this.

That's what happens when you become successful and you're a publicly traded company. You lose flexibility and there are higher expectations placed on you.

The Apple of today is burdened with having to keep a three year old iPad around because the education market doesn't want to spend more than $299 for a tablet. Same with the iPhone 13.

It's not 1997 anymore.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Steve was one of a kind. He made software work for the user, not the user work for the software. After dealing with Windows and FOSS apps I so much appreciate this genius.

None the less, for 10 years Tim Cook has held relatively similar quality software and on the business side of things Apple has been soaring.

Just see what happened to other companies that became garbage with different CEOs. Yahoo, Blackberry, Dell...remember Dell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.