Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
After thinking about it for some time now, I finally purchased a brand new Mac Pro in late December 2017. I've been waiting to test everything and make sure it works as it should, and it's been performing flawlessly so far. It replaced my 2010 Mac Pro (2.4GHz 8-core) and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It's a 6-core/D700/16GB/512GB SSD configuration which I will upgrade to 64GB soon. Paired with Benq SW320 4K monitor and Drobo 5C for storage + additional external 1TB SSD. I use it mainly for my commercial product photography business and 4K video editing in FCPX. I've been going back and forth between it and 2017 5K iMac, but I already have brand new 5K iMac at the office (quad-core i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB DDR, Radeon Pro 580 8GB) and I don't really like it to be perfectly honest. Yes, the 5K screen is amazing (more attractive than accurate though) and the system is very fast, but it's also noticeably loud and I feel like it's going to start melting away while rendering 4K video or processing large amounts of photos in Lightroom or Capture One Pro. Call me crazy, but I highly prefer super quiet Mac Pro and stand-alone, accurate color profiled matte screen. It stays cool and quiet no matter what I throw at it, and the processing speeds are on par with iMac. No matter the benchmarks, it simply feels snappier and more fluid in my daily tasks. Yes, it may be old tech these days, but I would definitely buy it again :)
I also purchased a brand new Mac Pro a week ago, a 6-core/32GB/1TB SSD/D700 and I am super happy. It replaced a Mac mini 2014 and a 5K iMac 2015. I like the super quiet machine as well, and I paired it with a 4K display Dell P2715Q.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I've had a 4,1 cMP gathering dust for a while (that I got free and new :cool:).

Had some spare time and cash, so joining the upgrade club to 5.1 and put in some eBay purchases

• X5690
• 32GB 1333 Mhz Ram
• Wireless AC and BT4.0 card

Just deciding whether to raid some SSDs on the backplane on pay extra for some pci-e cards, and most likely a 1060 card. The velocity duos and such are a bit tricky to source in the UK so I might just use 2.5" adapters and the backplane since for my work load it will probably do, as the cMP is a backup rig now.

I'm all done for now.

I removed the stock GT120 and replaced for a Gigabyte GTX1060 G1 Gaming card, and decided to go with an OWC Accelsior S with a 500GB MX500 onboard running High Sierra.

In a couple months I'll get a USB3 PCIe card and another ~250GB SSD to go in for Bootcamp and some games.

Pretty happy with it all, and I've flexed my computer building urges for a while now.

Reactions: h9826790

grooby

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2018
Just purchased an Mac 1,1 off Craiglist for $160. Spent about $80 to upgrade the CPU (2 x quadcore) and RAMs (32GB). Finally got everything installed (El Cap + Win 10). Need to RMA my GTX 970 but outside of that, looking forward to use it as my workstation / game machine.

jclmavg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
I bought a second 6,1, base model, which I'll be upgrading. It was 1500 euros ex vat, so not too expensive.

Reactions: vddobrev

grooby

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2018
Just purchased an Mac 1,1 off Craiglist for $160. Spent about $80 to upgrade the CPU (2 x quadcore) and RAMs (32GB). Finally got everything installed (El Cap + Win 10). Need to RMA my GTX 970 but outside of that, looking forward to use it as my workstation / game machine.

so..I just saw someone selling a 3,1 for $100. Still trying to figure out how much ram but it has 2 x xeon E5462. Not sure if it's worth swapping to that since I already got the 1,1, up and running.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Every once in a while I'll submit an offer on something and have it hit - and so it did on a tcMP. 6 core, 1 TB, 64 GB, D700s, Applecare through Jan. 2019. It should arrive Friday. Curious to see how much hotter it runs than the 8 core/D300 model I had given the difference from D300 to D700.

The Applecare made the difference in offering on it - if the D700s (or anything else) overheat or fail it'll just cost me time.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Well, it’s finally happened. I have replaced my 22 inch iMac (late 2009). It had a good run. I upgraded the ram (12GB), ran a home brew Fusion drive, and then a 500GB SSD, but it just couldn’t handle things anymore.

Last week I bought a 2013 Mac Pro. A local store was going out of business and I bought their display unit with huge discounts.

It sure is nice going from a Core 2 Duo to a Xeon.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Hey everyone, I'm going to try and hold out until June to see if anything new is introduced at WWDC that might fit my needs. But, if not, I think I'll have to go with an entry-level Mac Pro ('13). I really need something pretty quiet, but yet reasonably powerful. Apple doesn't really make anything else I'm aware of that fits that description (possibly a Mac Mini update... but that might not fit quiet enough).

I have a couple questions though...

First, How long does everyone think Apple will support the current Mac Pro in terms of OS support?

I know they typically support their products for 5+ years, but since the Mac Pro is already several years old, does that mean it might only be a couple more years if I buy one today?

Second, how important is it to get Apple Care?

I've never bought Apple Care in the past, and generally haven't needed it (I've had MBPs break, but they were older than even Apple Care would have covered). If I'm going for a 4-core D300 or possibly 6-core D500, are either of these particularly susceptible to problems? Or, was it more the maxed out units that ran too hot? I didn't follow those problems enough to get a good feel for how widespread they were... and I know the repairs can be astronomical (and maybe that answers my question :) ).

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012

I've never bought Apple Care in the past, and generally haven't needed it (I've had MBPs break, but they were older than even Apple Care would have covered). If I'm going for a 4-core D300 or possibly 6-core D500, are either of these particularly susceptible to problems? Or, was it more the maxed out units that ran too hot? I didn't follow those problems enough to get a good feel for how widespread they were... and I know the repairs can be astronomical (and maybe that answers my question :) ).
AppleCare is a relatively inexpensive addition when purchasing new Mac & gives peace of mind for three years. If there is a possibility that you will sell the system within the next three years (e.g. when the ne new modular Mac Pro ships) it will maximise the resale value if it has AppleCare.

I have always purchased AppleCare with the Macs that I have bought new & needed to claim on a couple of occasions (new graphics card on Mac Pro 3,1 & new system board on 2008 17" MBP).

If you are going to spend several thousand dollars on a Mac Pro then $249 for AppleCare is money well spent.

Reactions: pixelatedscraps

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey everyone, I'm going to try and hold out until June to see if anything new is introduced at WWDC that might fit my needs. But, if not, I think I'll have to go with an entry-level Mac Pro ('13). I really need something pretty quiet, but yet reasonably powerful. Apple doesn't really make anything else I'm aware of that fits that description (possibly a Mac Mini update... but that might not fit quiet enough).

I have a couple questions though...

First, How long does everyone think Apple will support the current Mac Pro in terms of OS support?

I know they typically support their products for 5+ years, but since the Mac Pro is already several years old, does that mean it might only be a couple more years if I buy one today?

For nMP, you better have Applecare, some nMP seems very reliable, some other make lots of trouble. I don't think it's a good idea to test your luck with this kind of money.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
AppleCare is a relatively inexpensive addition when purchasing new Mac & gives peace of mind for three years. If there is a possibility that you will sell the system within the next three years (e.g. when the ne new modular Mac Pro ships) it will maximise the resale value if it has AppleCare.

I have always purchased AppleCare with the Macs that I have bought new & needed to claim on a couple of occasions (new graphics card on Mac Pro 3,1 & new system board on 2008 17" MBP).

If you are going to spend several thousand dollars on a Mac Pro then $249 for AppleCare is money well spent.

Thanks. Yea, it's very much an insurance policy kind of thing, I guess. In 30+ years of owning Macs, I'd have never made a claim, though. The problems I've had have always been more than 3 years out (or covered the first year, or covered by Apple's 'recall' type programs).

But, if something has a higher likelihood of failing, then it would be well worth it. For example, if I bought a 2016/17 MBP, I'd absolutely buy it to cover the likelihood of keyboard failure (and $700+ repair bill!).

I was just trying to get a feel for it in this case, but we're talking some pretty expensive repairs in this case.

BarlMarx

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2018
Trier, Germany
Hey guys, just got my 2009 mac pro a few days ago. It had almost all the upgrades I wanted so I jumped on it, came out to 840 USD after the ebay coupon. It has the 5.1 flash, Dual x5690's, a flashed r9 280x, 32gb 1333mhz ram, usb 3.0 and type c, and a pcie ssd. The only problems i'm having is I can't get more than 150 write and 250 read with the ssd, even though it's in the pcie slot and not sata 2, and I can't get bootcamp to detect either of my internal drives. I keep getting the "you cannot install a bootcamp partition on raid drives, external drives or drives with filevault encryption in progress..." and haven't been able to find any solutions. Anyone have any ideas?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey guys, just got my 2009 mac pro a few days ago. It had almost all the upgrades I wanted so I jumped on it, came out to 840 USD after the ebay coupon. It has the 5.1 flash, Dual x5690's, a flashed r9 280x, 32gb 1333mhz ram, usb 3.0 and type c, and a pcie ssd. The only problems i'm having is I can't get more than 150 write and 250 read with the ssd, even though it's in the pcie slot and not sata 2, and I can't get bootcamp to detect either of my internal drives. I keep getting the "you cannot install a bootcamp partition on raid drives, external drives or drives with filevault encryption in progress..." and haven't been able to find any solutions. Anyone have any ideas?

What PCIe SSD? With which adaptor? How you test it? TRIM enabled?

You may forget about Bootcamp, just burn the Windows installation disc, boot from it, and follow the on screen instruction to install Windows on a separated hard drive.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I also purchased a brand new Mac Pro a week ago, a 6-core/32GB/1TB SSD/D700 and I am super happy. It replaced a Mac mini 2014 and a 5K iMac 2015. I like the super quiet machine as well, and I paired it with a 4K display Dell P2715Q.

I just got a Dell P2715Q for my newly acquired Mac Pro.

I was really worried about 4K resolution at 27 inches being weird, but I’ve loved it. I am even using it in one of the scaling modes and I don’t notice any fuzziness. The color reproduction is great.

Turbo Tony

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
London
I just picked mine up today. It's a Mid 2010 5,1 8 core with 16Gb RAM.

It's been a Linux server for years, so my first task today was to reinstall Mac OS.

I have a Samsung SSD on order and I'd like to upgrade the AirPort card. After that it'll be more RAM and the video card (which I still don't fully understand!).

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
Ah, they're great machines. There's a ton of info in the sticky on the front page of this forum, just take your time and wade through everything, USB 3.0/3.1 cards, Bluetooth 4.0/4.1, SSD options, etc.
[doublepost=1526603303][/doublepost]

Couldn't agree more!

Reactions: Turbo Tony

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
Just bought a MacPro 5,1 off of Ebay. Not entirely sure of the internal configuration, but if it's still stock then according to its configuration label it should be a 3.33 Xeon six core single processor with 4x8Gb ram and a 1 TB drive. I paid about $500 for it, plus shipping which was more than I wanted to spend on it.

But it comes with a 27 inch LED cinema display, keyboard, mouse, and Magic Trackpad in the package, which is quite a bit of extra stuff.

Looking forward to getting it up and running nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: LightBulbFun

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
Just bought a MacPro 5,1 off of Ebay. Not entirely sure of the internal configuration, but if it's still stock then according to its configuration label it should be a 3.33 Xeon six core single processor with 4x8Gb ram and a 1 TB drive. I paid about $500 for it, plus shipping which was more than I wanted to spend on it.

But it comes with a 27 inch LED cinema display, keyboard, mouse, and Magic Trackpad in the package, which is quite a bit of extra stuff.

Looking forward to getting it up and running nicely.

That's a steal if it is in good nick and running well, congrats !

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
That's a steal if it is in good nick and running well, congrats !

Just got it in. The LED Cinema Display works and is nothing short of magnificent.

Waiting to turn the tower on until I can clean the dust bunnies out. Looks like it has all the original equipment onboard. 32GB of memory and the original 1TB drive. I was worried that for the price they had stripped it. It was booted up for the auction pictures. If it boots up after UPS was done with it this is my eBay buy of the decade.

Reactions: barmann

Abraxen

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
Well I’ve been in the club for about a year now. Started with a 2006 Mac Pro with a 24” Cinema Display for $60. Sold the monitor for $80. Then got a 2008 with a bad power supply for $60, got a 2006 PSU from eBay for $30 and it was good to go. Picked up another 2008 off eBay for $100 that unfortunately is only a single CPU. Just recently picked up a 2006 with a bad logic board. Moved the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth over to the working 2006. Going to to use one of the heat sinks to upgrade the single CPU to dual CPU. Ordered slightly better CPUs for the dual CPU system and will use one of those for those CPUs for the single system.

This weekend I just picked up a 2010 dual CPU system with 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 5770, and Magic Mouse for $400. Going to do a CPU upgrade to that once I sell off some of the other systems.

Been a fun year and I learned a lot.

RootCause

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2018
Just picked up a 2009 dual 2.26GHZ with 28GB and two 500G HDDs for $350 including shipping. This system will become my main workhorse for software development (web, mobile and game) replacing a hex core AMD PC with only 8G.

First upgrade will be the 4,1 -> 5,1 firmware upgrade. Second upgrade is replacing the X1900XT with a 7870 Ghz edition that I already have. I have a GTX960 in the PC right now, but having support out of the box for the AMD card is much nicer. I may flash the 7870 to support the boot screen later, but the first step is to just get it working.

Shortly after will be the SATA-III upgrade with an SSD. I do have a 128G/3TB fusion pair pulled from a 2013 17" imac that I might reformat and use. 128 will hold most (if not all) of the applications I would typically use so the only advantage a larger drive might give me would the SATA interface vs mSata. I am planning to setup a fusion drive and install High Sierra.

Once I'm happy with the storage situation then I'll look into a CPU upgrade. I am considering X5675s over X5680s due to the lower power consumption but still thinking about it.

I know there is very little visible difference between 1066 and 1333, but I may still grab 32G and fill out the slots to an odd 56Gig although I will be hard pressed to use that much memory.

I've finished my first read through of cMP upgrade sticky. Now its time for the second pass to see if I missed anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.