Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
There've been questions about who is the iMac Pro really for, and because it's non-upgradable, people who need a serious workstation will not buy it. While the iMac Pro is a targeted for a specific niche market, I think the truth is that the iMac Pro is made as a marketing stunt.

For a very long time, Apple did not have a 'halo product' that people can aspire to. The 2013 Mac Pro tried to do that, but it failed terribly because a) it was never updated and left in the dust but more importantly b) it never aspired to any lower-priced product that the average consumer can buy. With the iMac Pro however, I think it will influence a lot of people into buying iMacs again; It looks just like any other iMac (but with an exclusive Space Grey finish), and it instantly got all the love from the internet, but because it'll start at $5000 and doesn't come till December, most people will just get the $2000 one right now. The iMac Pro is the halo product of Macs right now. Think of the iMac Pro as the AMG of Mercedes; everyone wants one, but most will end up with a regular Mercedes.

And come this December, you'll see all these big tech YouTubers get one, drool over it and its space grey finish with matte black keyboard and mouse, many people will get excited, but they'll go with a more realistic regular iMac.

The iMac Pro isn't mean't for anyone specifically, it's a tool for marketing and reignite enthusiasm back to the Mac (and iMac specifically) until they come up with an all new design.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Perhaps you're right, but this a is a very good thing for the perception of Apple from the vocal minority --- tech savvy pros online who have been able to cast a cloud of negativity over the Mac for quite some time. Come December, no pro user can really say Apple doesn't offer a tricked out Mac with all the power necessary to handle the most intensive of tasks.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Perhaps you're right, but this a is a very good thing for the perception of Apple from the vocal minority --- tech savvy pros online who have been able to cast a cloud of negativity over the Mac for quite some time. Come December, no pro user can really say Apple doesn't offer a tricked out Mac with all the power necessary to handle the most intensive of tasks.
It is upgradable via TB3. From drives to graphics cards to monitors. For a filmmaker, it's an incredible machine and worth every penny of 5K for the entry level. Macs, even the old towers, were never about easy upgradability. When it's time for a new CPU, it's usually time for a new motherboard as well.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012

Exactly. For too long Apple has forgotten about its content creation customers, who ultimately influence the whole market. While the iMac Pro isn't the dream workstation machine for many workstation users, I think it will do immensely great with people who can upgrade their $5,000 computers every few years (Filmmakers, YouTubers, Musicians, Graphic and Interior Designers), and they'll subsequently influence the average consumer into regular iMacs.

While I surely won't get one, I'm just glad the iMac Pro is going to exist. It's going to bring more sales to the Mac, more excitement to the mac, more innovation and more development budget back to the Mac.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Exactly. For too long Apple has forgotten about its content creation customers, who ultimately influence the whole market. While the iMac Pro isn't the dream workstation machine for many workstation users, I think it will do immensely great with people who can upgrade their $5,000 computers every few years (Filmmakers, YouTubers, Musicians, Graphic and Interior Designers), and they'll subsequently influence the average consumer into regular iMacs.

While I surely won't get one, I'm just glad the iMac Pro is going to exist. It's going to bring more sales to the Mac, more excitement to the mac, more innovation and more development budget back to the Mac.

I agree. I also found it ironic that the hoopla around the iPad software features in iOS 11 are very, Mac-like. Files (Finder), the dock, drag and drop, exposé/Mission Control, windowed apps, etc. Who knew 30 years of Mac development had some good ideas along the way ;)

I hope the Mac continues to sell well, because we need more investment. Touch Bar+Touch ID should be an option on all Macs (let people pay the extra cost for it if they choose). The Mac App Store is in dire need of a facelift, and relaxed restrictions to allow it to be a true marketplace for the best Mac apps available. Make an Apple Music app that is free of iTunes clutter (while still being able to talk to it's library), and keep iTunes as a legacy app for those who still plug in devices via USB like savages. Add HomeKit support via a Home app. Apple News should be a Mac app as well. And put some thought in UI changes and tweaks for the better of macOS and not just a carry over from iOS.

Long live the Mac.:apple:

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Like the Mac Pro. Will be nice to dream of when you can afford one second hand. But then its specs will be outdated.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I agree. Apple just want to show the public they have the ability to build a powerful machine, and they really don't care if anyone buys it or not.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Apple has come out with a decent a successor to the 2013 trash can Mac Pro; that is to say, something that a professional or power user customer can buy, put on their desk, has plenty of power for their tasks, without wanting to mess around with the hardware. I would agree this is more of a niche item, but the value-for-money is much more decent (compared to the 2013 Mac Pro at launch) considering the built-in 5K display and other specs. And I can see it becoming popular in certain workplaces as well.

Hopefully next year we will see the much-anticipated modular Mac Pro, for the professional and power users that DO want or need access to the internal hardware, expansion slots, drive bays, etc.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
In my opinion, the iMac Pro fills a "price gap" between a maxed-out iMac and the modular Mac Pro.

If you realise that that iMac Pro gets expensive really fast, you can just imagine what Apple would like you to pay for a Mac Pro that has modular storage and maybe some special GPU options that only come from Apple.

My guess is the iMac Pro will justify prices for the Mac Pro that will start at $8000.

Reactions: RuffDraft

RuffDraft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
In my opinion, the iMac Pro fills a "price gap" between a maxed-out iMac and the modular Mac Pro.

If you realise that that iMac Pro gets expensive really fast, you can just imagine what Apple would like you to pay for a Mac Pro that has modular storage and maybe some special GPU options that only come from Apple.

My guess is the iMac Pro will justify prices for the Mac Pro that will start at $8000.

That high?! Really?! I'm thinking that it'll start between $5 and $6K. The difference will be the screen. If not, and it really does begin at $8K... wow.

I'm getting the iMac Pro with 64GB RAM and either 8 or 16GB VRAM (probably the latter), but it is going to cost a small fortune fast. I think that configuration could easily go over $6K.

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
There've been questions about who is the iMac Pro really for, and because it's non-upgradable, people who need a serious workstation will not buy it. While the iMac Pro is a targeted for a specific niche market, I think the truth is that the iMac Pro is made as a marketing stunt.

For a very long time, Apple did not have a 'halo product' that people can aspire to. The 2013 Mac Pro tried to do that, but it failed terribly because a) it was never updated and left in the dust but more importantly b) it never aspired to any lower-priced product that the average consumer can buy. With the iMac Pro however, I think it will influence a lot of people into buying iMacs again; It looks just like any other iMac (but with an exclusive Space Grey finish), and it instantly got all the love from the internet, but because it'll start at $5000 and doesn't come till December, most people will just get the $2000 one right now. The iMac Pro is the halo product of Macs right now. Think of the iMac Pro as the AMG of Mercedes; everyone wants one, but most will end up with a regular Mercedes.

And come this December, you'll see all these big tech YouTubers get one, drool over it and its space grey finish with matte black keyboard and mouse, many people will get excited, but they'll go with a more realistic regular iMac.

The iMac Pro isn't mean't for anyone specifically, it's a tool for marketing and reignite enthusiasm back to the Mac (and iMac specifically) until they come up with an all new design.

Youtubers will probably do an unboxing, make a quick buck, and then return it like they do everything else they open.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
A current iMac configured like the base iMac Pro is $3700. For the extra $1300 you get an 8 core processor, two more TB3 ports, and a better graphics card. Also ECC memory if you care about that. I have a 2013 Mac Pro now which cost about as much, including display. I like the 5k displays and the TB3 so I'll likely buy the iMac Pro, depending on reviews, of course. Noise will be an issue, I like silent. Saving up for it now. It would help if I get a good price for my existing system.

Reactions: macsplusmacs

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Apple doesn't do marketing stunts. The iMac Pro is not a 40th Anniversary Macintosh to celebrate Apple's 40th Birthday.

I fully believe that the iMac Pro was intended to be the replacement for the Mac Pro and serve as the most powerful Mac in the line-up. Look at it's specs - it's more powerful and capable than the current Mac Pro. And there are plenty of disciplines currently using BTO iMacs that would benefit from the extra performance of the iMac Pro. And by leveraging the iMac's production line and many of it's parts, they reduce the production price which is important for a product line that sells in low volumes.

For whatever reason(s), in the past few months Apple has changed their minds (or had them changed for them) on offering a "sealed box" workstation and so now we will be getting a modular Mac Pro. I expect it's going to be a beast with a top-end price to match (I can see it clearing $20,000 with dual top-end CPUs, dual top-end GPUs, maximum SSDs and RAM).

That will be the halo product for the Mac line.

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I may wait for them to hit the refurbished store and get one. Wasn't expecting an iMac update so I need some time to save up.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
At $4999, I think the iMac Pro will add some value compared to a fully-spec'd out 27" regular iMac, which will reach to the just over $4000 mark itself.

For a few hundred more, you're getting a substantially improved processor, GPU and cooling system with potential for more RAM, not to mention a bit of exclusivity with the space gray/black finish.

Back in 2013, I bought a fully loaded 27" iMac and it's been doing its job dutifully since. I've been waiting for a good reason to upgrade and I suspect this will be it. Yes, if I can get by with a 2013-era machine, my needs are not high-level "pro", but clearly the machine I bought back in 2013 had enough performance to keep it going this long, so next next machine will do the same.

Now, the upper level machines with an 18-core processor and a price I'm guestimating to be over $8000 might be a hard-sell given the all-in-one nature of the iMac.

Abiatha Swelter

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
It is upgradable via TB3. From drives to graphics cards to monitors. For a filmmaker, it's an incredible machine and worth every penny of 5K for the entry level. Macs, even the old towers, were never about easy upgradability.

That was not actually always true. Macs after the Mac II was released were fairly easily upgraded. You just popped the top open and did whatever you wanted. Even CPU upgrades were possible. I switched the G3 in my B&W tower to a G4 at one point (that was probably the most easily-upgraded computer I've ever had).

guibo

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Apple doesn't do marketing stunts. The iMac Pro is not a 40th Anniversary Macintosh to celebrate Apple's 40th Birthday.

I fully believe that the iMac Pro was intended to be the replacement for the Mac Pro and serve as the most powerful Mac in the line-up. Look at it's specs - it's more powerful and capable than the current Mac Pro. And there are plenty of disciplines currently using BTO iMacs that would benefit from the extra performance of the iMac Pro. And by leveraging the iMac's production line and many of it's parts, they reduce the production price which is important for a product line that sells in low volumes.

For whatever reason(s), in the past few months Apple has changed their minds (or had them changed for them) on offering a "sealed box" workstation and so now we will be getting a modular Mac Pro. I expect it's going to be a beast with a top-end price to match (I can see it clearing $20,000 with dual top-end CPUs, dual top-end GPUs, maximum SSDs and RAM).

That will be the halo product for the Mac line.

totally agree. I also believe the imac Pro has been planned at apple for some time, maybe even years as they had the vision to simplify the mac line up and do away with headless macs.

something, someone, or somehow apple realized this was not the right approach for all. By this time the imac pro was already too deep in to give up on, so they are releasing it regardless. i believe the modular mac pro is relatively new project with apple.

now the question is, will both the imac pro and the mac pro sell in enough quantities to justify both existing? i dont feel like there is enough room for both to be viable.

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
totally agree. I also believe the imac Pro has been planned at apple for some time, maybe even years as they had the vision to simplify the mac line up and do away with headless macs.

something, someone, or somehow apple realized this was not the right approach for all. By this time the imac pro was already too deep in to give up on, so they are releasing it regardless. i believe the modular mac pro is relatively new project with apple.

now the question is, will both the imac pro and the mac pro sell in enough quantities to justify both existing? i dont feel like there is enough room for both to be viable.

I hope both can exist. We have been complaining for stronger Macs for awhile and are finally getting it.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA

I think the iMac Pro went way beyond what anyone was expecting spec wise in that chassis. For the first time in awhile, I felt like Apple delighted rather than disappointed. I think for a ton of pros, the best-in-class (by far) 5K display included with all that power is an attractive enough proposition to sacrifice upgradability. For those that don't want that, there will be a headless Mac Pro. From there, I hope breaking even and not turning massive profit through high sales figures is the focus with pro-level Macs as an acknowledgment of the pro community's influence on the tone around Apple and the Mac line in general.

I do think it's time to put the Mac mini out to pasture though. It's a machine that served switchers that had slow tower PC's in their house that came with a keyboard and display in the mid-2000's that wanted a low cost way to get a Mac. I'm fine with the following:

MacBook/MacBook Pro
iMac/iMac Pro
Mac Pro (for the super high end)

Reactions: Glockworkorange

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Marketing? Come on, it's a fantastic technical achievement! Also, it's exactly what I want i.e. the most powerful computer in the smallest/most convenient package available.

I was secretly hoping they'd drop an 18-core CPU in there, I couldn't believe it when they announced it! Combined with the nice graphics, great screen, ultra fast flash etc., it's got everything I want. I don't care about upgradability, I'll just sell it in a couple of years and get a newer model. It's really not that complicated.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Marketing? Come on, it's a fantastic technical achievement! Also, it's exactly what I want i.e. the most powerful computer in the smallest/most convenient package available.

I was secretly hoping they'd drop an 18-core CPU in there, I couldn't believe it when they announced it! Combined with the nice graphics, great screen, ultra fast flash etc., it's got everything I want. I don't care about upgradability, I'll just sell it in a couple of years and get a newer model. It's really not that complicated.

Exactly. Between Craigslist, eBay, and now Facebook Marketplace, selling a well cared for Mac is easier than ever. I don't understand why people feel like they are locked into a machine for all eternity if it doesn't meet their needs in a few years. I just sold my Late 2013 27" iMac on Facebook locally for 50% of what I paid for it 3 1/2 years later within a week of posting it. Easy peasy. [My new 2017 27" 5K iMac arrives next week ;-)

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Well until they are in the hands of independent sites I consider the iMac Pro vaporware. I also find it odd that many are sold on the idea of a new iMac chassis next year if Apple is really going to use the current one for the iMac Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.