Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I've read about it a fair bit on the web but Mavericks has a nasty knack of causing my Wifi to disconnect when putting my Mac into sleep mode (i.e. closing the lid) if I have bluetooth turned on.. Of course, this means I'll open it back up and will have to manually select the wifi network to get it going again.

So my question is, has anybody experienced this bug whilst running Yosemite? I've had Yosemite installed for a few days and haven't had this issue once, but as soon as I restart and boot into my Mavericks drive it comes back with a vengeance.

Interested to find other people's experiences on this.

Last edited:

joeyp000

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
I've had wifi disconnect issues (on a late 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 15") that have carried over into the Yosemite. I have to turn wifi off then back on to reestablish connection.

That said I upgraded to 10.10 and did not perform a clean install.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I did an upgrade install and my disconnect issues are gone. The added bonus is that my script for auto mounting my external drive at boot works every time. In Mavericks due the disconnect bug it does not work properly when resuming from sleep.

eeyoredragon

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2005
It's happened once since I've upgraded.

I notice it when it happens, because my music files are on a network drive and when the network goes down with iTunes open, iTunes uses up all the memory in the system until it get paused.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
I'm VERY interested in this issue because I'm on the fence between a late 2013 13" rMBP or a early 2014 13" Macbook Air. The buggy wifi on the late 2013 MBP's scares me because I'm in med school now and don't have time to be camping out at the Genius bar!

Is Yosemite the fix to these wifi problems?

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I'm VERY interested in this issue because I'm on the fence between a late 2013 13" rMBP or a early 2014 13" Macbook Air. The buggy wifi on the late 2013 MBP's scares me because I'm in med school now and don't have time to be camping out at the Genius bar!

Is Yosemite the fix to these wifi problems?

I've got the mid-2013 MacBook Air and I've had this issue more or less since day 1, so you're probably better off going for the 2014 model. But yes, Yosemite has entirely fixed it for me (so far).

I have a problem with Safari in Mavericks failing to load web pages too, which Yosemite has completely fixed.

Last edited:

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Thanks for the reply. Went ahead and bought a Late 2013 13" rMBP. I must have got lucky because I did not experience the wifi issues in Mavericks. Then did a clean install of Yosemite and no wifi problems there either.

Perhaps Apple silently modified the Wifi chips in the models they are selling now to fix this issue, who knows.

Yosemite running very nicely so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.