Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areudum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2021
The updates on the ipadOS and IOS are not groundbreaking, and thats the good part. Of course, the uninformed user might think it means theyre lazy or just dont care about the ipad, but no! Thats not the case at all!

We NEED these updates once in awhile. They are the ones that allow devs to give us the greatest software optimization, which is exactly what makes apples IOS stand out compared to other softwares.

In addition, the new features arent half bad either. Many of these updates are nifty features that could have an immediate use for large groups of users. The timer is one example, is not a huge thing, but its useful! Journal? Useful for those who keeps a continous diary. Health app for ipad? Yes finally! It makes it so much easier to keep tabs on the big screen once youre back from a workout.

No they didnt reinvent the wheel with glamour, just pure practical updates, and we need those once in a while. There are plenty of android users who are going mad on youtube as usual because ”hurr durr, we‘ve had this since forever”, but remember, its not about being first. its about the QUALITY of what we recieve. IOS 17 is going to be a great update, one i hope will be similiar to the superb IOS 12.

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015
The updates on the ipadOS and IOS are not groundbreaking, and thats the good part. Of course, the uninformed user might think it means theyre lazy or just dont care about the ipad, but no! Thats not the case at all!

We NEED these updates once in awhile. They are the ones that allow devs to give us the greatest software optimization, which is exactly what makes apples IOS stand out compared to other softwares.

In addition, the new features arent half bad either. Many of these updates are nifty features that could have an immediate use for large groups of users. The timer is one example, is not a huge thing, but its useful! Journal? Useful for those who keeps a continous diary. Health app for ipad? Yes finally! It makes it so much easier to keep tabs on the big screen once youre back from a workout.

No they didnt reinvent the wheel with glamour, just pure practical updates, and we need those once in a while. There are plenty of android users who are going mad on youtube as usual because ”hurr durr, we‘ve had this since forever”, but remember, its not about being first. its about the QUALITY of what we recieve. IOS 17 is going to be a great update, one i hope will be similiar to the superb IOS 12.
i would apreciate it much more if there was a segment in the keynote with them talking about perfomance like in iOS12 update, not its just a speculation, only time will tell if the perfomance and stability is really improved

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

Is any of this actually based on reality? Where have they said that iOS 17 is a stability and speed update?

I would have been more than happy had iOS and iPadOS 17 been snow leopard style updates, but it seems to just be an average here’s some new additions, but it’s going to be buggy release.

Reactions: Ray2 and xxray

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Is any of this actually based on reality? Where have they said that iOS 17 is a stability and speed update?

I would have been more than happy had iOS and iPadOS 17 been snow leopard style updates, but it seems to just be an average here’s some new additions, but it’s going to be buggy release.
Everything I’ve heard from Developer Beta testers is that it’s running extremely smoothly for a first beta, so I think reality does in fact support this. I highly doubt Apple would get up on stage and say “last years update had some bugs and stability issues, so this year we’re focusing on stability and bug fixes”, that’s just not really keynote material.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Everything I’ve heard from Developer Beta testers is that it’s running extremely smoothly for a first beta, so I think reality does in fact support this. I highly doubt Apple would get up on stage and say “last years update had some bugs and stability issues, so this year we’re focusing on stability and bug fixes”, that’s just not really keynote material.
They don’t have to say that there were bugs in the previous release.

They got up and talked about how Snow Leopard, iOS 9 and iOS 12 were all stability and bug fix releases.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
They don’t have to say that there were bugs in the previous release.

They got up and talked about how Snow Leopard, iOS 9 and iOS 12 were all stability and bug fix releases.
That may be compelling to you, but most people would probably be complaining that “Apple didn’t add any new features and it’s just about stability and bug fixes”. I think what Apple is doing seems to be a nice balance. They added a few nice quality of life feature improvements, and also seem to be focusing on improving stability. Besides, Apple shouldn’t have to go up there and say “we’re making stability improvements”, that’s generally a given that Apple’s working towards that with their updates. 🤷🏼‍♂️. That’s kind of like saying “we’re working to improve our products”, which is kind of to be assumed…

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
That may be compelling to you, but most people would probably be complaining that “Apple didn’t add any new features and it’s just about stability and bug fixes”. I think what Apple is doing seems to be a nice balance. They added a few nice quality of life feature improvements, and also seem to be focusing on improving stability. Besides, Apple shouldn’t have to go up there and say “we’re making stability improvements”, that’s generally a given that Apple’s working towards that with their updates. 🤷🏼‍♂️. That’s kind of like saying “we’re working to improve our products”, which is kind of to be assumed…

Every release where Apple has ACTUALLY focused on stability etc, they've talked about it as a feature.

There have been plenty of buggy iOS releases which didn't have stacks of features, so just because a release doesn't have a ton of features, doesn't mean they are focusing on stability, beyond the normal level that they would.

Where exactly is the proof that they are focusing on improving stability?

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Every release where Apple has ACTUALLY focused on stability etc, they've talked about it as a feature.

There have been plenty of buggy iOS releases which didn't have stacks of features, so just because a release doesn't have a ton of features, doesn't mean they are focusing on stability, beyond the normal level that they would.

Where exactly is the proof that they are focusing on improving stability?
From everyone I’ve heard, the first developer beta for iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 is running more stable and smooth than betas for iOS 16 and iPadOS 16. I think experience of how the software is running is evidence of something. Besides, the portion of the keynote covering Apple’s existing platforms seemed like it clearly was rushed in order to make time for Vision Pro, so even many of the larger features got skimmed over, such as webcam support on iPadOS. If you look at the preview pages on the site, I think there even are references to enhancements and improvements in 17.

Reactions: maxrest

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Maybe in a way I wish I had another iPhone or iPad to try out iOS 17 beta. I'm actually quite eager to play around with it, but really not interested in installing them on my primary devices for fear of messing up whatever it does to my iCloud syncing etc. Syncing problems are a pain to deal with.

Really looking forward to iOS/iPadOS 17 general release. September feels like a long time away!

Reactions: Kal Madda

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
From everyone I’ve heard, the first developer beta for iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 is running more stable and smooth than betas for iOS 16 and iPadOS 16. I think experience of how the software is running is evidence of something. Besides, the portion of the keynote covering Apple’s existing platforms seemed like it clearly was rushed in order to make time for Vision Pro, so even many of the larger features got skimmed over, such as webcam support on iPadOS. If you look at the preview pages on the site, I think there even are references to enhancements and improvements in 17.

So more anecdotal information.

You have zero proof that iOS 17 is a release where stability & reliability was prioritised.

There is no reference to any such improvements in the iOS 17 preview pages.

Reactions: Isamilis

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
So more anecdotal information.

You have zero proof that iOS 17 is a release where stability & reliability was prioritised.

There is no reference to any such improvements in the iOS 17 preview pages.
I have proof in the form of lots of people’s experience that the betas for iPadOS 17 are running smoother than the betas for iPadOS 16, so I think that counts for something…🤷🏼‍♂️. But if you’re so determined to hate the new version of iPadOS, then don’t update this September, and don’t benefit from the variety of improvements and enhancements I’m already seeing in the first developer beta for iPadOS 17…🤷🏼‍♂️.

Last edited:

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I have proof in the form of lots of people’s experience that the betas for iPadOS 17 are running smoother than the betas for iPadOS 16, so I think that counts for something…🤷🏼‍♂️. [...]
Curious to know how iCloud syncing is working with iPadOS 17 (and also with iOS 17) if you use iCloud syncing.

In particular, I'm most curious about syncing of calendar, contacts, and photos.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Curious to know how iCloud syncing is working with iPadOS 17 (and also with iOS 17) if you use iCloud syncing.

In particular, I'm most curious about syncing of calendar, contacts, and photos.
All of those are syncing well between my iPhone running iOS 16.5, and my iPad running the iPadOS 17 Developer Beta, I hope that helps! 👍🏻

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
All of those are syncing well between my iPhone running iOS 16.5, and my iPad running the iPadOS 17 Developer Beta, I hope that helps! 👍🏻
OMG, that does help. I'm so tempted to try either iPad OS 17 or iOS 17. So tempted.... I could...only I fear I may regret if it causes sync issues or I end up having to spend time undoing things to get back to a stable state....

I guess I could try it on the iPad since that is less of a "significant" device for me.

It is easy to undo iPad OS 17 and go back to iOS 16? I'm going to ahve to find out....

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
OMG, that does help. I'm so tempted to try either iPad OS 17 or iOS 17. So tempted.... I could...only I fear I may regret if it causes sync issues or I end up having to spend time undoing things to get back to a stable state....

I guess I could try it on the iPad since that is less of a "significant" device for me.

It is easy to undo iPad OS 17 and go back to iOS 16? I'm going to ahve to find out....
Important note, I would highly recommend you save a local backup with everything from your iPad to your PC or Mac before you install iPadOS 17, just in case. As for switching back to iPadOS 16, you could restore your iPad from the backup you make before you install the iPadOS 17 beta, of course this would probably be something you’d only consider if absolutely needed. Or, you could wait until the next public release version of iPadOS 16 and switch to that.

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Important note, I would highly recommend you save a local backup with everything from your iPad to your PC or Mac before you install iPadOS 17, just in case. As for switching back to iPadOS 16, you could restore your iPad from the backup you make before you install the iPadOS 17 beta, of course this would probably be something you’d only consider if absolutely needed. Or, you could wait until the next public release version of iPadOS 16 and switch to that.
Thank you! I did go ahead and Google what it takes to go back to general release version. I can see it can be from relatively simple to relatively bothersome.

I will do a backup on v16 before thinking of installing beta17.

--//--
UPDATE

I think I've decided NOT to join the developer beta, at least for now. I did backup my iPad running 16 on the Mac. But after investigating how to either move from beta17 back to general release 16, or from beta17 to general release 17, I realized that if there were any hiccups I probably would regret having to spend a lot of time getting the iPad back to the "normal" state. September (that's the release month, right?) isn't too far away -- I can wait a bit ;-).

Also a potential kink: my iPad is my own, but in order to use my institution's email on an app (rather than web) and to use the system's intranet (which I don't really need in my work), I've had to install something called "mobile device manager". The institution doesn't fully control my iPad like it would if this were a full-on institutional managed device, but I don't know if that mobile device manager would create kinks with beta releases.

Last edited:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Here’s some data: my iPad shows no discernible performance gain compared to last week. I’ve had apps crash and I’ve had my iPad restart itself whilst watching a video, which hadn’t happened before.

People saying things are “feelings”. Feelings aren’t concrete data.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I think this year Apple is focusing on improving on some of the fundamentals in iPadOS 17. In the first developer beta of iPadOS 17, they’ve already made several improvements to the Settings app, including a brand new menu called “Multitasking & Gestures”, which combines settings that used to be spread through the Settings app in separate menus into one menu. Then there are also some small changes within the Files app, (mainly aesthetic so far) and major improvements to the Mail app. Calendar has also been improved.

Large updates like iPadOS 16 are really good, but often it seems that when the attention from Apple’s developer team is adding a bunch of new features, some of the fundamentals can be a bit overlooked, and miss out on improvements. Some of the “less glamorous” system apps such as Settings barely change at all. Meanwhile, as all these new multitasking features were being added, their corresponding settings were having to be seemingly tossed wherever it seemed to make some semblance of sense due to the limit of scope of the main categories in the Settings app. Now that’s being addressed with the inclusion of the new “Multitasking & Gestures” menu. Improvements like this don’t seem like a lot, but when you combine enough of these small enhancements (which the first developer beta has a surprising number of), then you get a more streamlined, more convenient base system to build on. This is why I think iPadOS 17 is already shaping up to be a good update, even though it doesn’t have the same amount of fanfare and “big updates” as some previous releases.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013

Yeah, this is my exact concern. On iOS 12, Apple touted how much they worked on performance and optimization. They haven’t said anything about it for iOS 17.

Reactions: oldmacs

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Yeah, this is my exact concern. On iOS 12, Apple touted how much they worked on performance and optimization. They haven’t said anything about it for iOS 17.
So far the Developer Beta for iPadOS 17 is running really smoothly, and I’ve noticed several small improvements while running it. It seems they’ve paid attention to adding refinements to nearly every system app, which they didn’t mention in either the keynote or the preview page. I think some of this is miscommunication, Apple should have probably emphasized that they have scoured through the system and added enhancements system-wide, because it seems to me that that’s exactly what they’ve done. Also, seems like battery performance on my M1 11” iPad Pro is great, maybe even improved over the current public release of iPadOS 16.5. So it does seem like there are some performance improvements as well, especially considering that this is the first developer beta, which is usually bug laden and takes a performance hit, not improvement! 👍🏻

inuragon

macrumors member
May 10, 2023
If its not a big update why make it a major release? Just update 16 and release a proper 17 later.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Widgets seems to be aligning on their own :D As a result it’s now ”possible” (it’s a bug even shown in Release Notes but also I reported sorry :D ) to have empty spaces in widgets.
Oh boy nice to join testing squad on iPad Pro 2018 11”

FB12285736 if someone would like to refer

Edit: Dragging Lock Screen widgets to the Lock Screen widget area on iPad and iPhone might not work. (106379745)

Attachments

• IMG_2199.png
    IMG_2199.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2200.png
    IMG_2200.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2198.png
    IMG_2198.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 105

John90976

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
SoCal
I totally agree, pretty sure not everyone has felt this but iOS 16 has been a hot mess for me. I'm far happier with beta 1 of iOS 17 than I was with the latest release of 16. I don't know why but this iPhone 14 Pro has never felt quite all there on iOS 16 no matter how many resets or updates, it was always quirky. It finally feels just right on the iOS 17 beta.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
i would apreciate it much more if there was a segment in the keynote with them talking about perfomance like in iOS12 update, not its just a speculation, only time will tell if the perfomance and stability is really improved
I can't speak to speed (which was never an issue with an M1 iPad) but I'm finding the dev beta shockingly usable/stable. That bodes well given that they've got at least a month more to refine and fix bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.