Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
I think some reports I sent to Magic were handled recently but it's hard to be sure. Now, since we've seen no app or list updates in a month, how's that possible... Hmm.

If this is the long term state of the game where we need to change blockers every two months, I don't know what to say. :(
There are some ad blocker done by bigger companies, or they use known and reputable block lists, or can fall back to these lists. Like AdGuard.

On a separate note, an update of the ones I use:
I have 6 blockers and still rotating between 1Blocker and AdGuard and Purify for speed and accuracy, and they still work well for most sites despite two of them came out on or near day 1 of iOS 9:

1Blocker lists every single rule it used, but who's going to read and pick through 10000+ lines? But, it is still the fastest for me, with compromises like the occasional blank page or no css for a couple sites I go to. So I use that for my iPad because the iPad is big enough to view the full versions of websites anyway. And my iPad mini 2 is slower so the fastest speed is more appreciated.

Purify is almost as fast, and it works and looks pretty on every site I go to. Not transparent about its filter updates, but hey it works. This is my favourite one on the iPhone.

AdGuard is third in speed in my non-scientific tests among 6 blockers. Its biggest draw is you can pick the filter lists, including the known and reputable ones. So if something doesn't work well, you can pick and choose the lists yourself. Pick as few as you want (or go to the Advanced->use simplified filters) to speed things up, or block as many things as you want easily.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
By the way, I'd like to make an announcement.

After all, we have decided not to monetize Adguard app.

So, what does that mean:
1. We are working on a "pro" version with an option to block more ads (including in-app ads).
2. Along with v.1.1 release we will open the source of the current app (because in my opinion "fully free and closed source" is just wrong).

Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

So, what does that mean:
1. We are working on a "pro" version with an option to block more ads (including in-app ads).
2. Along with v.1.1 release we will open the source of the current app (because in my opinion "fully free and closed source" is just wrong).
Well, I would be interested in buying the pro version. Is Adguard on Twitter? I don't want to miss that announcement.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015

So, what does that mean:

This is good to hear can't wait.

One question will this iOS version Ad Guard Pro be included with my desktop license I bought?
[doublepost=1455537673][/doublepost]One last question will Ad Guard Pro for iOS be able to block in-app ads in BBC News app?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
One question will this iOS version Ad Guard Pro be included with my desktop license I bought?

I am pretty sure Apple won't allow us to have a separate sales channel.

One last question will Ad Guard Pro for iOS be able to block in-app ads in BBC News app?

I don't know yet, we should first make a working prototype and see how the ads are shown in that app.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Noticed that wired.com started asking to disable the ad blocker or sign up for paid version. Even on desktop where ad blockers have been around for years, the site never forced to disable ad blockers in the past.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Noticed that wired.com started asking to disable the ad blocker or sign up for paid version. Even on desktop where ad blockers have been around for years, the site never forced to disable ad blockers in the past.

Thanks good to know. I wonder if Ad Muncher gets around this ? I know it is outdated.

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009

I'm using Adguard and not experiencing the issue on iOS. However I am seeing the issue on OS X, despite using the Adguard browser extension. Both have filters enabled that are supposed to stop anti-adblocking, so I'm not sure why there's a discrepancy.

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Are you able to scroll through articles? I was able to access the wired.com homepage on OS X but when I clicked an article and started reading the Adblock message came up after a bit.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Interesting. On OS X, I can click on an article, and scroll through it, and then at some point the text just disappears. Didn't notice that on the first try, as the article I tried wasn't very long. However, I'm not getting any messages about adblockers.

No such issues on iOS, though.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
1Blocker has a new beta - slower than purify still
Interesting. 1Blocker has always been the fastest for me, but less accurate (some ads may show, and some sites get stripped to basic texts only). Purify for me has always been the prettiest, just a bit slower than 1Blcoker, also behind AdGuard.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
I can't seem to get AdGuard to update by itself in the background.

For background update to work the following needs to be true:
1) In system settings, background updates should be allowed for Adguard (General-> Background App Refresh).
2) You should not swipe Adguard from the list of recent/launched apps. I'd like to emphasize that this behaviour is not unique for Adguard, but rather dictated by iOS.
3) iPhone/iPad is connected to WiFi when the update is scheduled.

oodi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
Currently I'm using purify and I can recommend it to anyone.

But...

What I wonder is if there are any content blockers out there that can load extra content besides to blocking. I.e. My custom css or js payloads. Just like grease monkey.

I do really need an app with such a functionality. If it worked on Safari only that too would be enough for me.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
What I wonder is if there are any content blockers out there that can load extra content besides to blocking. I.e. My custom css or js payloads. Just like grease monkey.

Unfortunately content blocker API does not provide such functionality.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I never swipe apps away since it's useless. Only when an app is stuck.
It's an app switcher and it's an app switcher on a small display in case of an iPhone. Having to go through a lengthy list of apps is a very good way of getting RSI. Swiping away apps is a very useful thing to do because it keeps the list short which makes it easier to scroll through and also easier to see (you don't get lost in it).

Swiping away apps to clear resources is indeed not a very useful thing to do as iOS is very capable in doing it itself. And that's also the reason why Adguards requirement no 2 is rather useless. You need to frequently open/activate the app in order to teach iOS that it needs to sync it regularly (background refresh will work out a schedule when to refresh the data based on your use of the app). All in all it is much easier to manually sync once in a while (it would be nice if blockers would sync automatically when you open them). Omni Group explicitly warns you about the way iOS works with background refresh and tells you that you have to train it. They did this because people thought OmniFocus didn't sync their tasks.

There is an official KB article from Apple which explains it a bit: About Multitasking on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Reactions: avatar-adg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.