Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

createausernamenow20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
When I click the share icon, iOS 13 includes suggested contacts. First of all, the suggestions are terrible. And they are made worse by the fact that if I click on some of them, they actually message more people than the one listed. For instance, my father is listed as a share sheet person. But when I click his name and photo, it sets up a message with my mom and him together. So, the consequences of this were made very clear to me when a friend of mine said they sent explicit pics to their partner, which also included their close friends. The share sheet is dangerous!

Reactions: ozaz

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When I click the share icon, iOS 13 includes suggested contacts. First of all, the suggestions are terrible. And they are made worse by the fact that if I click on some of them, they actually message more people than the one listed. For instance, my father is listed as a share sheet person. But when I click his name and photo, it sets up a message with my mom and him together. So, the consequences of this were made very clear to me when a friend of mine said they sent explicit pics to their partner, which also included their close friends. The share sheet is dangerous!
From what I recall, the share sheet shows if more than one contact is involved, and the resulting message compose window would show all the involved recipients as well, all before the needed user interaction to actually send the message.

createausernamenow20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
I get that. When I look at the share screen it only shows one individual. The problem is that when I click on that one individual, multiple individuals are present in the To: portion of the message.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I get that. When I look at the share screen it only shows one individual. The problem is that when I click on that one individual, multiple individuals are present in the To: portion of the message.
Odd, when I look at it I see some that are one individual with one icon/photo and one name, and I see some that are for multiple individuals with multiple icons/photos and multiple names.

createausernamenow20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Odd, when I look at it I see some that are one individual with one icon/photo and one name, and I see some that are for multiple individuals with multiple icons/photos and multiple names.

Right! It is very odd. To add to the oddity, I can also see sharing options that include multiple people, as you're describing. It's the some of the individual sharing options that seem to be strange, though. The group texts/share sheet examples are working as expected.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I hear you.

If Apple meant to sow confusion and chaos...mission accomplished.

Never mind the sheer un-Apple-like clutter of what’s going on on that entire sheet. That top “quick share” row is just confusing and, as you say, potentially dangerous.

I’m waiting for the inevitable lawsuits Apple will get because someone accidentally sent a d*** pic to their boss instead of their girlfriend. 😁

And it would have been so easy to add an option to hide that row. I sent a request to Apple, but I’m not holding my breath.

Now here’s something interesting. When I saw that share sheet I disliked it so much I downgraded back to 12.4.1. But then a few days later I was on a local news website and wanted to send an article to someone. Well, up came the “quick contact” row...in iOS 12. It contained several of my more obscure contacts, including one guy I contacted at my place of business two years ago and haven’t talked to since.

I mean, WTF?

Get with it, Apple. Give us the option of making this thing go away.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
No please don't make it go away, it is super useful. A really solid improvement.
uhmm...actually, for people who do not use iMessage (aka, most people outside the US) it is not very useful at all. And it's a privacy liability. I wish there was an option to disable it.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
uhmm...actually, for people who do not use iMessage (aka, most people outside the US) it is not very useful at all. And it's a privacy liability. I wish there was an option to disable it.
Most people out of the US? Seriously dude.

And it’s not a privacy liability, take some personal responsibility.

19749DF5-2B3F-4B7E-8B81-77318D2E9267.jpeg

Pretty easy to see when there are multiple involved in a chat.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Ah this old no one uses iMessage outside of the US rubbish again. Been discussed numerous times on here before and no one as yet has managed to back up the wild claim with anything like facts!! Personally from a UK point of view i know plenty of folk that use iMessage including myself where its the main way of messaging other people. I do have Whatsapp as well but I only use it for two group chats both to do with my cricket club.

Back on track i've never had the mentioned issue using the Share Sheet options and actually find them very useful.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Ah this old no one uses iMessage outside of the US rubbish again. Been discussed numerous times on here before and no one as yet has managed to back up the wild claim with anything like facts!! Personally from a UK point of view i know plenty of folk that use iMessage including myself where its the main way of messaging other people. I do have Whatsapp as well but I only use it for two group chats both to do with my cricket club.

Back on track i've never had the mentioned issue using the Share Sheet options and actually find them very useful.
iMessage is so popular because SMS has been in existence since the first GSM implementation across Europe. The iMessage approach was clear because it integrated with the existing popular system without the user having to know what capabilities the receiving end device has. If anything the USA was running behind due to the lack of their use of SMS messaging support as part of the GSM standard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Enough with the bickering, a number of posts were removed as they were derailing the thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.