Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Would you mind to look if some new possibilities of reporting map problems are there?
I'll take a look! I also remember discussing entrance edits with MozMan back in the iOS 13 Maps thread, so I'll take a look for that as well! (Especially because it's something that I myself would like to have back as well)!

Reactions: MozMan68

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
In terms of reporting map issues, the method is seemingly unchanged from iOS 13.

And MozMan...guess what I did NOT find? Yep...entrance edits! Well, kind of. If you're on a POI card for a place that is already on the map...I can't find an option to edit entrances. You can "refine" the location of a marker, but you can't edit the entrances to said location. If you want to edit entrances...you have to tap the "i" in the top right corner to add a missing place...and then it gets even more specific than that. Under "Missing Place Type" you have to select "Street or Address". From there, you can edit location AND entrances.

Reactions: compwiz1202

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I've been looking up and down. Cannot find any options for it at all.

It may be part of a later beta release. It seems many of Maps updates don't necessarily conincide with specific beta releases, even if they are only available as PART of the iOS14 betas.

In terms of reporting map issues, the method is seemingly unchanged from iOS 13.

And MozMan...guess what I did NOT find? Yep...entrance edits! Well, kind of. If you're on a POI card for a place that is already on the map...I can't find an option to edit entrances. You can "refine" the location of a marker, but you can't edit the entrances to said location. If you want to edit entrances...you have to tap the "i" in the top right corner to add a missing place...and then it gets even more specific than that. Under "Missing Place Type" you have to select "Street or Address". From there, you can edit location AND entrances.

So...no different...but that doesn't mean it won't change with additional betas like last year. I guess we'll see.

Anything in settings? Screenshots?

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
It may be part of a later beta release. It seems many of Maps updates don't necessarily conincide with specific beta releases, even if they are only available as PART of the iOS14 betas.

So...no different...but that doesn't mean it won't change with additional betas like last year. I guess we'll see.

Anything in settings? Screenshots?
Exactly. No different. I can get a screenshot for you. Whatcha looking for?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Just looking for the bicycle routing specific settings. Thanks!
Here you go! About as basic as you can get, that’s for sure! The second screenshot is what you see when you tap “cycling” under “directions”. There are no further options if you flip those switches to “on”.
E811916C-D55B-4DA6-B79B-35C4424E0BA8.jpeg
0249D82F-B4AC-4F81-BF04-DA4A727D8011.jpeg

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Exactly what I wanted to see...and maybe can't switch as it is only available in certain cities right now? And even then, seems it only works in SF today.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Exactly what I wanted to see...and maybe can't switch as it is only available in certain cities right now? And even then, seems it only works in SF today.
Yep, so far, SF is the only place I’ve tried to do biking directions. The route I tried was from my hometown of Brentwood, CA to Mt. Diablo State Park.

Right now, you CAN flip the switches. I actually just flipped all 3. It’s just that you don’t see extra options to “refine” it or like you sometimes see when you flip a switch. I’ll go back and get a comparison for with them on and off using the same start and end points mentioned above. Give me just a sec and I’ll post those as well!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Yep, so far, SF is the only place I’ve tried to do biking directions. The route I tried was from my hometown of Brentwood, CA to Mt. Diablo State Par. Right now, you CAN flip the switches. I actually just flipped all 3. I’ll go back and get a comparison for with them on and off using the same start and end points mentioned above. Give me just a sec and I’ll post those as well!

You should try with the route example they gave in the keynote...I bet "avoid busy streets" was selected which is why they suggested the one route that writer said was the worst. And makes sense as they WANTED to show elevation change as well as stair icons (I'm guessing).

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
You should try with the route example they gave in the keynote...I bet "avoid busy streets" was selected which is why they suggested the one route that writer said was the worst. And makes sense as they WANTED to show elevation change as well as stair icons (I'm guessing).
I’ll have to go back and see what it was, but I’ll give that a try! Here’s what I came up with for the route I mentioned. Forgot to mention that these switches can be flipped in the app instead of going to settings. However, when doing it in the Maps app, it’s probably a per-route basis whereas flipping them in settings applies to all.

I really like the elevation graph it gives you, by the way.

46595787-605A-48C9-A933-5E4D4532A48B.jpeg
F3EC197E-EDEE-477F-BEAB-14DDEC244BE6.jpeg
859F4700-73CF-47D0-857E-D8C249DCCB5C.jpeg

TouchedByAl

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Salt Lake City
Are there any changes to search and routing? Like if I was in Denver and wanted to see a route between St. Louis and New York is that possible now? Also can you add to existing navigation? If I wanted to stop somewhere besides a gas station or restaurant.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Are there any changes to search and routing? Like if I was in Denver and wanted to see a route between St. Louis and New York is that possible now? Also can you add to existing navigation? If I wanted to stop somewhere besides a gas station or restaurant.

You could always do that.

Just select New York City and yes, it will default from your current location. But then just tap on on "My Location" and change to whatever location you want.

Waypoints or stops along the route are still not allowed as far as I know unless a POI from the Map as you mention. But with Maps being enhanced on Mac, could a web based version be far behind that allows more route planning??
[automerge]1592961226[/automerge]
I’ll have to go back and see what it was, but I’ll give that a try! Here’s what I came up with for the route I mentioned. Forgot to mention that these switches can be flipped in the app instead of going to settings. However, when doing it in the Maps app, it’s probably a per-route basis whereas flipping them in settings applies to all.

I really like the elevation graph it gives you, by the way.

View attachment 926920 View attachment 926921 View attachment 926922

That is awesome! As a bike rider, I can't wait to try this out just for the hell of it.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Kind of disappointed there is no music controls like Waze. Figured that would be implented in IOS 14 maps.

Can you explain why? Is it simply so you can change the music while on the same screen? Doesn't dashboard view on CarPlay allow you to see both at the same time? Or now that I can view the music only on my phone while CarPlay has the full map, is this really that important of a feature anymore?

I guess I just never saw it as a big benefit, but maybe I just never felt the need to adjust my music selection that much while using Maps (or Strava, or any other app that has it).

It does seem simple enough to integrate though...at least Apple Music. Especially now that cycling has been added. A lot more people will be using their phone only to navigate and listen to music at the same time. I think I just convinced myself...I want music control on Maps...
[automerge]1592997488[/automerge]
I've been looking up and down. Cannot find any options for it at all.

So, looking more at articles online about iOS14 and images from WWDC, I'm guessing this may be limited to CarPlay through the new "EV" app. Makes sense as one could then go into settings for that app and specify specific car info so you aren't driving to Tesla chargers when you have an incompatible Ford. They kind of hinted at that during the keynote that not all charger locations will be available at the start.

Can anyone with an EV confirm? Not sure that app is even available yet on CarPlay.

lukasm

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
Who said Australia is updated? There’s no update visible in iOS 14 to the maps here...

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Who said Australia is updated? There’s no update visible in iOS 14 to the maps here...

No one said it...it is simply listed as it is most likely to be one of the first countries outside of the USA to be added based on vehicle surveys over the past couple of years.

UK, Ireland and Canada this year...most likely followed by Australia, Japan, Germany, Italy, ....

Edit: Removed from first post as I can see how that might not be clear. Thanks!

Reactions: lukasm

TouchedByAl

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Salt Lake City

Just select New York City and yes, it will default from your current location. But then just tap on on "My Location" and change to whatever location you want.

Waypoints or stops along the route are still not allowed as far as I know unless a POI from the Map as you mention. But with Maps being enhanced on Mac, could a web based version be far behind that allows more route planning??

That is awesome! As a bike rider, I can't wait to try this out just for the hell of it.

I had no idea you could select a different city instead of your location! I consider myself relatively savvy when it comes to iOS and this is great news. Thanks!

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Can you explain why? Is it simply so you can change the music while on the same screen? Doesn't dashboard view on CarPlay allow you to see both at the same time? Or now that I can view the music only on my phone while CarPlay has the full map, is this really that important of a feature anymore?

I guess I just never saw it as a big benefit, but maybe I just never felt the need to adjust my music selection that much while using Maps (or Strava, or any other app that has it).

It does seem simple enough to integrate though...at least Apple Music. Especially now that cycling has been added. A lot more people will be using their phone only to navigate and listen to music at the same time. I think I just convinced myself...I want music control on Maps...
[automerge]1592997488[/automerge]

So, looking more at articles online about iOS14 and images from WWDC, I'm guessing this may be limited to CarPlay through the new "EV" app. Makes sense as one could then go into settings for that app and specify specific car info so you aren't driving to Tesla chargers when you have an incompatible Ford. They kind of hinted at that during the keynote that not all charger locations will be available at the start.

Can anyone with an EV confirm? Not sure that app is even available yet on CarPlay.
The music controls integrated into the Map feature comes with Waze and Google Maps. For ppl that have carplay. They have no use for it. But for ppl without carplay like me. It is very useful. And seems like it would be easy to implement.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
No one said it...it is simply listed as it is most likely to be one of the first countries outside of the USA to be added based on vehicle surveys over the past couple of years.

UK, Ireland and Canada this year...most likely followed by Australia, Japan, Germany, Italy, ....

Edit: Removed from first post as I can see how that might not be clear. Thanks!
Sitting here on my lunch reading Apple's updates on Maps. As we all know...and you mentioned above...they talked about UK, Ireland, and Canada for 2020. But you also remember a few months ago what they said was next in line after they finished the States (and then US territories)...UK, Germany, Italy, Iberian Peninsula. I wonder what happened to that. If they're going to be doing ALL of that...there would be a LOT of countries done this year, and not a lot of time unless they speed up.
[automerge]1593012191[/automerge]

I ride my bike pretty often also, and my area has a TON of bike paths (though no actual bike lanes on roads), so I'm definitely looking forward to it coming to the Chicago area as well! At rollout though, I wonder just how much of the Chicago area will have biking directions. Despite living in the suburbs, I missed out on Look Around coverage by quite a bit of distance ? Might be worth mentioning though that in the screenshots I gave you...that area is not yet covered by Look Around. So that would lead me to believe that the rollout pace for biking might end up being faster and more widespread at each addition than Look Around has been.

Although what is so far my favorite feature of the biking directions (the elevation graph) won't show much variation out here in flat corn-country ? The elevation difference between the highest and lowest points in my town is something like 40 feet, max! That graph will be pretty flat out here in basically every instance.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Sitting here on my lunch reading Apple's updates on Maps. As we all know...and you mentioned above...they talked about UK, Ireland, and Canada for 2020. But you also remember a few months ago what they said was next in line after they finished the States (and then US territories)...UK, Germany, Italy, Iberian Peninsula. I wonder what happened to that. If they're going to be doing ALL of that...there would be a LOT of countries done this year, and not a lot of time unless they speed up.

Did Apple actually say that or was it more a conversation about what countries were being mapped?

UK/Ireland were definitely being mapped shortly after they were mostly through the USA on their first pass...Canada as well, but Australia was ahead of Italy as far as I can remember. Japan too.

Japan and Italy are a lot more complicated than Australia (maybe we'll get New Zealand as well?).

There certainly doesn't have to be a direct correlation between the mapping schedule and the release schedule depending on all of the government restrictions, rules, etc. they may have in one country versus another. I'm just hoping for whole swaths of Europe to be hit at once since it really isn't that large of an area despite a sometimes complex road network.

Reactions: Shifts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.