Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
The capabilities of most iPad software is limited not by the OS but by the design choices of the designers and engineers who build the app.
I agree with most of your points in this thread. But I'd say iPad software is mostly limited by Apple's rules and policies. Since iPadOS is essentially a re-skin of macOS they could allow Terminals, virtual machines, file system access, emulators, Homebrew, background tasks, but they don't want to.

Looking at touch input on the iPad, the god awful text selection makes me run to my Mac every time I need to do like anything with text. Some people might say get the keyboard with trackpad for your iPad Pro. But if what I need is more like a Mac I'll choose a Mac with better window managament etc.

For me the new iPad Pro is as much of a content consumption and gaming device, a non-essential toy, as the old one was. I do not see how the faster chip and better display suddenly make it more "Pro" than the M1 or M2 generations were, not for me, and not for creative professionals.

Because I'm fully aware that some people can use an iPad Pro for their profession, for them it has a much different role than for me and my compilers and virtual machines and stuff. I don't believe these people, happy with their M1 and M2 iPad Pros would agree to the M4 iPad Pro "finally" being Pro.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
No, it isn’t. Unbelievably, the iPad Pro still cannot multitask.
Yes it can. It supports Stage Manager.
Multiple windows on screen does not mean it can multitask. I would argue it can multitask but in a limited way. The main limitation is not windows on screen but the fact that you can't have long running background processes and the fact that Apple likes to pause the app if you navigate away from it.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Multiple windows on screen does not mean it can multitask. I would argue it can multitask but in a limited way. The main limitation is not windows on screen but the fact that you can't have long running background processes and the fact that Apple likes to pause the app if you navigate away from it.
Exactly that.
And it’s (one of) the reasons I did order the 1Tb. With 16Gb switching and (semi)multitasking is often a bit more smooth.
And handling 800+ written pages in notability is really much easier with 16Gb.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
if you have a very large itunes music library and share it, and when on the iPad when you load it, it will take a long time and if you multitask and switch to a different app, and then switch back to the music app, the loading process will have stopped. very frustrating. and since iPad storage space is valuable and limited, i'd prefer to no "waste" it by storing music.

off3nc3

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2014
Romania
In that case, go to in institute for education and join the debating club. This is a bloody forum on a website that ends in rumors and has user feedback, what do you expect?

But if you want to debate: why wouldn’t a niche device be targeted at a very specific demographic. It would be a failure of a device if a niche market isn’t supplied with a niche device?!
And what does the locking matter? If it is the tool for that niche (of which you admit there are at least two parts that might not be so niche after all: the 16Gb demanding job’s and gaming) and they are oke with locked devices, what is the problem?
And the point is rather moot, because it is a fact: a large part of the 16Gb business users are probably locked in by the IT-overlords as a managed device. So if you have a Samsung or an Apple device, it will be locked, fenced of and gardened in.

So what is your point about this? That 16Gb is a pointless device? If it would be, it wouldn’t sell and Apple wouldn’t produce it. They are a rather profitable company and that doesn’t come from producing niche market devices without margin.

I would suggest that you, as an excellent debater would first state the case, fence it off, then give pro arguments to your case, the give arguments why counter arguments are void of meaning and then rest your case.
But you don’t do either of them, so I have to assume you are not a very good debater, and just here to troll a bit on a forum.

I accept your concession.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
if you have a very large itunes music library and share it, and when on the iPad when you load it, it will take a long time and if you multitask and switch to a different app, and then switch back to the music app, the loading process will have stopped. very frustrating. and since iPad storage space is valuable and limited, i'd prefer to no "waste" it by storing music.
Yeah, this is also what I encounter and find to be very limiting about the existing multitasking. The background process limitations really harm the user experience (and I don’t think these are Pro features, I think everyone is harmed by this)

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
The ideas have been shared, but belligerent resistance to fact when it doesn't agree with wishes leads to this kind of discussion.
Nonsensical retort. Looks like you’ve learned to use a dictionary and fancy the English mellifluousness. However your cadence and logic are erred on the brink of bellicose banter which lack substantive comprehension. You are welcome to ignore.

Reactions: sparksd

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I admit to suffering from "iPad Aquisition Syndrome" myself. I've owned a couple of lesser tablets in the past which are in a box in the attic somewhere after a few days of noodling and attempting to find something useful, to me, on them.

I see an iPad in my future somewhere, but for my use cases it just doesn't make the cut. Sure, it's gorgeous, fast, etc. But it still seems to be a limited device for anything but content consumption. I do a lot of that myself, but I also use devices for a lot of other things.

I think Apple have duped themselves into a tactical corner by limiting its functionality and ignoring real demand. A lot of Mac owners, me for example, would join the iPad club if Apple could demonstrate they have a strategy to support more use cases. Until then I'll just save my money and hope for a revolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.