Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wouldn't say the iOS alarm is the least reliable alarm on earth.

The least reliable alarm on earth is probably the rooster. They crow at 4AM when you need to get up at 8, and sometimes they're far away and you can't hear them so you end up late for work.

The MOST reliable alarm on earth is my cat Annie walking on me at 8AM each morning, regardless of whether I have to get up or not.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I wouldn't say the iOS alarm is the least reliable alarm on earth.

The least reliable alarm on earth is probably the rooster. They crow at 4AM when you need to get up at 8, and sometimes they're far away and you can't hear them so you end up late for work.

The MOST reliable alarm on earth is my cat Annie walking on me at 8AM each morning, regardless of whether I have to get up or not.
You win today. +3 internets for you.

Reactions: smirking

wa2be

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
check your phone ringer volume, if its all the way down it affects the volume of the alarm. I've never had an issue not hearing an alarm on the iphone, but I make sure my ringer volume is down low before going to bed or I'll be woken up by a jarringly loud sound in the morning.

I always make sure my iPhone 7 ringer volume is down to 1 bar, and then when I open up the alarm app I turn the volume all the way down in there. In the morning when my alarm goes off, it's incredibly, over-the-top loud, regardless of the volume settings. My wife's SE doesn't do this, so I intentionally set everything up on my phone to match the volume levels on hers, and sure enough mine was as loud as always. I've yet to find a way to make the volume come down a little bit. My previous 5S didn't have this problem either. Any suggestions?

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I have had this happen to me way too many times over the years. Since January it's been even worse than before- been super late to work several times because my alarms never went off. Every night before going to bed I make sure both media and ringer volumes are up all the way and put my phone in DND mode. Most mornings my alarms go off, but it absolutely happens that they won't go off. It's really annoying and I wish there were a real solution for this.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I am just glad i always wake up well before my alarm anyway. A few days ago i was woken by the alarm for the first time in years. I dont know how you guys cope with that. It was horrible.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
hey everyone,

Second time in two weeks I've been late for work because I've woke up... looked at my phone and the alarm is displaying on the phone but there's absolutely no sound coming out.

Watch is charging as it always does.

How can this silent alarm stuff still happen a decade on from the first iPhone?

How do you fix this?

Thanks a lot

Weird.

I've been using the alarm on my phone since the original. It's literally how I wake up every morning (I also have alarms set to make sure I get my dogs their medications on time, etc). I've never once had it be silent on me. I have, on occasion, had it be really quiet because I had inadvertently left the ringer volume all the way down, but never silent.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
hey everyone,

Second time in two weeks I've been late for work because I've woke up... looked at my phone and the alarm is displaying on the phone but there's absolutely no sound coming out.

How do you fix this?

Thanks a lot

When I had an iPhone I used to also set an alarm clock to go off 10mins later as there were too many times it just didn't work. I remember new years day 2011, there was a bug and the iPhone alarm didn't go off at all - my alarm clock woke me and I was one of the few people who made it to work on time that day.

CagdasCizer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
This happens to both Android and iPhone. Ringer volume needs to be up. Go to Settings --> Sounds and notice that under the two options on the top there is a : "Ringer and Alerts" ---- if this is turned all the way down, then you'll experience what you have. I keep my phone's silence switch on ALL the time because I don't often use my phone as a phone. But the Ringer and Alerts volume is about 60%.

Open up Youtube --- play a video - you can use the volume buttons to turn that down without affecting the Ringer and Alerts volume. I wish it was more apparent because when I'm in a meeting and I want to open an app I know has sound, I freak out because there's no easy way to change that volume without first playing a sound.

However, sitting at the home screen, if you hit the volume buttons AND you have the option: "Change with Buttons" for Ringer and Alerts ---- and you put the ringer all the way down, it will silence an alarm.

So here's what I do: Set DND (Do Not Disturb) for 10pm - 7am. Leave Silence Switch On. Open Youtube and play a video and turn that volume ALL the way down. But make sure Ringer and Alerts is at 60%. That's how I leave my phone 100% of the time.

Well I have been using iphone alarms for the past 5 years and they have been perfect. I'm talking about 2 phones with all the developer betas since ios 7. I believe this post might be your solution.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
You have never heard about Xiaomi alarms :) I read comments where people complained that alarm does not ring at the morning and it started after they picked up the phone later on :D

appleish19

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2014
For me the iOS alarm has been very accurate, especially like the bedtime function. It's just my accuracy at getting up at the right time that needs improvement. :eek:

Kalloud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
Today I definitely experienced an unreliable alarm app.
I have had an alarm on 8:00AM for a while now but yesterday I changed it to 7:30AM and to my surprise, my alarm only went off at 8:00 AM and I am pretty sure there is no alarm at 8:00AM, not even off.
This is frustrating!
EDIT: I am running the latest iOS 10.3.2 beta 5.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
hey everyone,

How do you fix this?

Thanks a lot

Never happened this to me.

However, is a quite bad alarm.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
For those with the silent alarm issue, it appears that for some reason iOS will randomly (or by some unknown trigger) switch the alarm sounds to follow the media volume. Turning up your media volume will instantly make the alarm sound again. I fixed it by rebooting, but it's a really key problem, as there is no known trigger for it yet, and it may happen any time.

NOTE: Alarm volume in iOS is always be independent of any other volume unless the bug listed above occurs. This ensures that you can't accidentally mute the alarms without yourself knowing.

teddybearstand

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
I have a handful of friends who missed classes because of this issue. Ringer on volume up, the sound just doesnt play.

I had an Apple interview early yesterday morning and set my alarm on my iPhone. If it didnt go off, kinda not meant to be anyways eh?

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2015
hey everyone,

How do you fix this?

Thanks a lot

Two things I commonly do is forget to turn it back up after unplugging headphones and secondly the little switch on the side

ajayjp

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
One thing I have is that if the alarm goes off and if you have a notification reminder for calendar go off at the same time, then the alarm gets snoozed.

Adamantf123

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2018
This is one of many infuriating threads on this topic. A bunch of things could be happening but where most assume it's a setting/volume issue or a bug I'm pretty sure I've worked out what really happens and can reproduce the scenario consistently. It still seems to be an issue now.

For some annoying reason if your alarm goes off for more than about 15secs the screen fades to black which is pretty normal. However if you then press the main 'wake up' button the alarm goes COMPLETELY SILENT and waits for you to select 'Snooze' or 'Stop'. It will stay silent indefinitely. If you're half asleep and do this thinking you've hit snooze the alarm goes silent. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed. To me the design requirements for an alarm are very simple. It should be VERY EASY to hit snooze and VERY HARD to make an alarm go silent.

Reactions: GreyOS

Adamantf123

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2018
I can reproduce the scenario I outlined above without fail. I'm increasingly convinced this really stupid bug is just being overlooked due to the sea of people who have seemingly never woken up feeling a little groggy claiming it's not a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.