Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Constant threads of Plus users moaning that they feel disappointed by the smaller phone. Well clearly it wasn't designed for you. The 8 Plus was.

The 4.7" iPhone users will love the similar sized phone with a much bigger screen. (This has been my dream for many many years now)

Now that I'm using the iPhone X there's no way i could go back. I can see me using this phone for many years to come. And its only this version of the phone i'd ever want. I won't want the plus size version of it i do not need an iPad mini in my pocket.

And I'm sure many of you feel the same.

iPhone X OLED screen and build quality has completely topped the list of best iPhone designs in my book. The iPhone 4/4S has now been one upped.

Mr. Y

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I, too, was a Plus user and the X was perfect for me. I wanted a screen larger than the 4.7" but the sheer size of the overall Plus was too much for me. I worried at first the X would be too small, but it is not (for me). I find the X to be a fine balance between the larger screen and the smaller form.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
There is this group of people who never really liked the big surfboard that the + is, but felt they had to deal with it anyway because the + offers better camera, significantly better battery life, better screen, more memory in the case of the 7+/8+ and so on. That group now has more of a choice and I’m glad Apple is offering them something that isn’t second rate compared to the +. Oh, and I say that as a hardcore + user who has very little interest in the X because the screen is not wide enough for what I want (and a lot of other off topic reasons as well).

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Constant threads of Plus users moaning that they feel disappointed by the smaller phone. Well clearly it wasn't designed for you. The 8 Plus was.

The 4.7" iPhone users will love the similar sized phone with a much bigger screen. (This has been my dream for many many years now)

Now that I'm using the iPhone X there's no way i could go back. I can see me using this phone for many years to come. And its only this version of the phone i'd ever want. I won't want the plus size version of it i do not need an iPad mini in my pocket.

iPhone X OLED screen and build quality has completely topped the list of best iPhone designs in my book. The iPhone 4/4S has now been one upped.

As someone who has both a plus sized iPhone and an iPad Mini I can say that that’s a fair bit of hyperbole.

Honestly, I owned a regular sized 6 for three years and then upgraded to th 8 Plus, and now it’s hard to remember why I ever worried that a Plus would be too large. It actually fits in my hands and pants pockets very comfortably, and I’m just an average sized guy, not even 6 feet tall.

3 years with a 6, 3 weeks with an 8+, and I already prefer the latter.

Reactions: pakupakuman

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
I don't know anyone who bought the iPhone Plus for the size of the phone itself. It has always been about the size of the screen. The iPhone X reduces the footprint but increases the screen size. It's a win/win from my perspective. As soon as there is a sim-free world phone available to walk in and purchase, I'll be all over it!

Reactions: SHKLMRE

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
As someone who has both a plus sized iPhone and an iPad Mini I can say that that’s a fair bit of hyperbole.

Honestly, I owned a regular sized 6 for three years and then upgraded to th 8 Plus, and now it’s hard to remember why I ever worried that a Plus would be too large. It actually fits in my hands and pants pockets very comfortably, and I’m just an average sized guy, not even 6 feet tall.

I was an early adopted of the 6 Plus got it at launch and within a matter of days i felt buyers remorse as it felt wayyy too big. Most noticeably when I would be in the gym i felt like i had a tablet in my pocket. I sold it quickly while it was in high demand an went for the regular 6 an never looked back. And for the record I'm 6ft1 and it still felt too large for a phone.

The iPhone X sits between the two but closer to the size of a 4.7" iPhone and it feels just right.

Reactions: dontworry

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Everyone has different needs. Yes the size is obviously smaller but you get a truly quality display on the X. That OLED display is night and day compared to 678 display.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I don't know anyone who bought the iPhone Plus for the size of the phone itself. It has always been about the size of the screen. The iPhone X reduces the footprint but increases the screen size. It's a win/win from my perspective. As soon as there is a sim-free world phone available to walk in and purchase, I'll be all over it!

Depends on the content you consume. For reading, the X is about the same as the +, assuming it’s a format that allows the text to reflow according to the format of the screen. For 16:9 content, the X is a downgrade over the + and only slightly better than the 4.7".

Reactions: incon

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I was an early adopted of the 6 Plus got it at launch and within a matter of days i felt buyers remorse as it felt wayyy too big. Most noticeably when I would be in the gym i felt like i had a tablet in my pocket. I sold it quickly while it was in high demand an went for the regular 6 an never looked back. And for the record I'm 6ft1 and it still felt too large for a phone.

The iPhone X sits between the two but closer to the size of a 4.7" iPhone and it feels just right.

To each their own, of course.

If you were an early adopter of the 6+ you were probably coming from a 4" phone though. I think that a Plus sized phone is probably easier to adjust to when you've sort of worked your way up to it.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
I've been carrying 2 iPhone Plus's (6+, 7+) in my purse, a Brighton purse very similar to this crossbody. The phones take up practically the entire purse compartment.
An advantage of being female :): I'm not just limited to a pocket. I always have my purse with me, so both phones are always with me. Helps with bragging rights around geek guys too. "I have more cores than you do..." :D

They have been awesome. I find 2 iPhones indispensable when I travel for work.
1 for navigation / public transport apps or Google Maps to make sure Mr. Taxi Driver isn't taking me the long route,
1 for podcasts or phone calls.

On my last trip to Dubai, every phone, camera, and battery charger became drained of life during my full day exploring except for 10% of my second phone.

I now carry 1 iPhone X and 1 Plus. I love the new X, but would much prefer a "Xplus" for a bigger screen.

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
There is this group of people who never really liked the big surfboard that the + is, but felt they had to deal with it anyway because the + offers better camera, significantly better battery life, better screen, more memory in the case of the 7+/8+ and so on. That group now has more of a choice and I’m glad Apple is offering them something that isn’t second rate compared to the +. Oh, and I say that as a hardcore + user who has very little interest in the X because the screen is not wide enough for what I want (and a lot of other off topic reasons as well).
That is definitely me! The camera of the plus always hooked me in. Now with the X I get a better camera system, oled, and smaller form factor without sacrificing screen size.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Battery life was a big reason for the plus. It gets unwieldy, especially in a big city like New York where I need a hand to hold onto the subway pole, and prolonged sessions of reading could get uncomfortable with the weight and width of the device (and my refusal to use a case for grip). And then with 7+, it was the camera. Now that I can do the camera with similar battery life, a better screen, and more compact form factor, it checks off all those perfect boxes. Full workday battery life, big enough display, amazing camera, easy one handed use. Saying this as someone who had 6 Plus—>6S Plus—>7 Plus.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
I had every plus (except the 8) and was going to skip the X until I had the opportunity to buy it on launch day for store pick up. I am pleasantly surprised by the size, by Face ID, the notch is a non issue, etc. Everything I was skeptical about has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Great phone. Like it or not, this is the beginning of the future...

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
I am coming from a 5s to an X.

I took a long time to move from the 5s because what I really wanted was a larger screen in a 6/7/8 body. I did always appreciate screen size of a Plus, but the form factor when I handled it did not work for me. Damn small hands. And no way would it fit in most of my pockets. The pockets on a lot of woman's clothing are small and shallow. I would not call it an iPad Mini...but maybe an iPad Mini Mini? It would also not fit well in my smaller bags or wristlets. So, I am very happy with the X! Obviously it is much larger than the 5s I came from, but it is still very comfortable in my hand (there are some limitations for my own one-handed use which is my usual preference, but I can easily scroll, use gestures, type basic messages, and so on one handed, and reachability also helps me even use the notification/control centre gestures, etc while one handed)

However, I have also seen lots of Plus owners happy with the X. Like anything, it is pretty individual. Everyone has different needs, uses, eyes, and hands!

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
As a Plus user, who has also used much bigger Android phones like the Note 8 and loved their size, I have to totally disagree. I actually enjoy the phone being a little less wide as I can reach across the whole thing and having a taller screen means I actually see more of my typical content. Couldn't be happier and I don't miss the size.

That being said though if next year brings a bigger iPhone X I will most likely go for that.

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
4.7 users are having hard times stretching their hands to reach top and bottom dead zone. it is not designed for any human being and it is a design failure

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012

Umm, I had a 6 plus. I now have the X. For the first couple hours the X felt small, since 1. I had used the plus for over 3 years; 2. I still had the plus right next to my new X.

But, now that I've had the X for almost 5 days (and my Plus was sold back to Verizon), I'm happy as can be. The screen size is great and the physical form factor is easier to hold and pocket. So, yes, the X was designed for me, a plus user. And guess what, if and when an X plus is released, I'll probably get that. Can't hurt to have a larger screen with the X technology. But the larger screen with the old tech - nah. No good anymore to have a home button.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
4.7 users are having hard times stretching their hands to reach top and bottom dead zone. it is not designed for any human being and it is a design failure

LOL. I was a 4.0" user and have managed just fine. And if someone is struggling that much, they can use reachability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.