Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkcatgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
The iPhone is using the AMOLED, just like the Samsung. And Samsung's smartphone are using the PWM method to adjust the brightness of the screen, and with a rather low frequency about 240Hz~250Hz, and this makes many customers complain about the 'eye strain problem'. So did anyone down the PWM frequency that iPhone X is using?
[doublepost=1509928854][/doublepost]did anyone know this?

davevvv

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
The iPhone is using the AMOLED, just like the Samsung. And Samsung's smartphone are using the PWM method to adjust the brightness of the screen, and with a rather low frequency about 240Hz~250Hz, and this makes many customers complain about the 'eye strain problem'. So did anyone down the PWM frequency that iPhone X is using?
[doublepost=1509928854][/doublepost]did anyone know this?

I give up on Samsung phones and TV's years ago because of PWM. It was basically frying my eyes and causing major headaches.

It's my understanding that companies implement PWM to decrease brightness because it's cheap. I'm not sure why they think flashing the screen at someone's eyes is a good idea but they do it.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and I can read on it for hours. I recently picked up a Samsung Galaxy 8 while visiting best buy and within 5-10 minutes my eyes started to water. It's a beautiful phone but it is simply unusable with the low frequency PWM.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iPhone-X-Smartphone-Review.264436.0.html

SlimFit

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
I give up on Samsung phones and TV's years ago because of PWM. It was basically frying my eyes and causing major headaches.

It's my understanding that companies implement PWM to decrease brightness because it's cheap. I'm not sure why they think flashing the screen at someone's eyes is a good idea but they do it.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and I can read on it for hours. I recently picked up a Samsung Galaxy 8 while visiting best buy and within 5-10 minutes my eyes started to water. It's a beautiful phone but it is simply unusable with the low frequency PWM.

Do you or anyone know if anti glare or privacy screen protector help with that? My eyes are sensitive to it as well, causing headaches

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
“At any level of brightness, modulation with a frequency of approximately 60 or 240 Hz is present.”

https://translate.googleusercontent...x.html&usg=ALkJrhgE-BSgBDhYdneV5qZKMZi0Q1SYvg

German site notebookcheck measured the same, although they seem to differentiate between PWM and simple 'flickering'.

The PWM brightness regulation is another typical characteristic of an OLED panel, and this is the case for the iPhone X as well. We can measure a comparatively low frequency of 240 Hz as soon as the luminance is at 50% or below. Sensitive users should get the iPhone 8 / 8 Plus with an LC display, where we did not determine PWM. In addition to the 240 Hz PWM, we can also measure a slight flickering at 60 Hz (see screenshots below) at higher brightness levels (even at the maximum).

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
German site notebookcheck measured the same, although they seem to differentiate between PWM and simple 'flickering'.

The PWM brightness regulation is another typical characteristic of an OLED panel, and this is the case for the iPhone X as well. We can measure a comparatively low frequency of 240 Hz as soon as the luminance is at 50% or below. Sensitive users should get the iPhone 8 / 8 Plus with an LC display, where we did not determine PWM. In addition to the 240 Hz PWM, we can also measure a slight flickering at 60 Hz (see screenshots below) at higher brightness levels (even at the maximum).

I was going to mention NotebookCheck and the Russian review linked above.

*BUT* frequency is not everything - amplitude matters a lot. Go to the NotebookCheck review of the Samsung Note 8 and compare to the iPhone X. Relatively low frequencies, which you would expect to be more troublesome, can be ignored by some people if the amplitude is shallow.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Thanks, those guys are great. They've actually replied to my emails. :D

I ended up with an 8 Plus and I couldn't be happier. The screen is FAR FAR wider when viewing in portrait and the corners are not round, lol.

I was going to mention NotebookCheck and the Russian review linked above.

*BUT* frequency is not everything - amplitude matters a lot. Go to the NotebookCheck review of the Samsung Note 8 and compare to the iPhone X. Relatively low frequencies, which you would expect to be more troublesome, can be ignored by some people if the amplitude is shallow.
Way over my head, but thanks for the info. :0

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey

This is exactely what i was experiencing. Never knew why my eyes hurt before,since the iphone X eyestrain topic. Watery eyes,painful eyes etc. Now very happy and pain free with my iphone 8 lcd display.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks, those guys are great. They've actually replied to my emails. :D

I ended up with an 8 Plus and I couldn't be happier. The screen is FAR FAR wider when viewing in portrait and the corners are not round, lol.

Way over my head, but thanks for the info. :0

A picture is worth 10K words. Go to the NotebookCheck review of the Samsung Note 8 and go to the Display section. There are a few screenshots showing PWM applied by Samsung on that phone. Look at the full brightness shot and you'll understand what I was trying to say immediately, I think. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.