Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Thanks for the clarification. Might be worth it if you ever have to change the battery in a 6th or 7th gen, since it's almost impossible to open those without damaging the soft aluminum faceplate (or so I'm given to understand, I've never actually tried).
I so wish I'd bought a 7th gen when they were discontinued. The old iPods were such an uncomplicated way to listen to music.

Reactions: philden

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks for the clarification. Might be worth it if you ever have to change the battery in a 6th or 7th gen, since it's almost impossible to open those without damaging the soft aluminum faceplate (or so I'm given to understand, I've never actually tried).
It’s not impossible at all, you just need to purchase the proper tool to open it…

I’ve changed my battery a couple of times, no problem.

😃

Reactions: philden

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
It’s not impossible at all, you just need to purchase the proper tool to open it…
I didn't say impossible, I said almost impossible without damage and for the iPod models with aluminum faceplates I stand by that. Of course, there are those who don't mind that the faceplate no longer quite fits, and if you're desperate for a new battery, go for it. But anyone contemplating opening a 6th or 7th gen Classic should watch this and this.

I've changed the battery in my 4th gen iPod Photo 4 times now, the first 3 times without incident. The 4th gens have a plastic faceplate and are surely among the easiest iPods to open. Alas, while opening it for the 4th battery swap, one of the rails which is tack-welded to the metal back popped off, making it literally impossible to get the back off without damage. To quote Forrest Gump, "It" happens. A not-too-bad used back fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slix

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I didn't say impossible, I said almost impossible without damage and for the iPod models with aluminum faceplates I stand by that. Of course, there are those who don't mind that the faceplate no longer quite fits, and if you're desperate for a new battery, go for it. But anyone contemplating opening a 6th or 7th gen Classic should watch this and this.

I've changed the battery in my 4th gen iPod Photo 4 times now, the first 3 times without incident. The 4th gens have a plastic faceplate and are surely among the easiest iPods to open. Alas, while opening it for the 4th battery swap, one of the rails which is tack-welded to the metal back popped off, making it literally impossible to get the back off without damage. To quote Forrest Gump, "It" happens. A not-too-bad used back fixed the problem.
Agreed. Mine is a 7th generation and I honestly found opening it with the tool I listed pretty easy really, just takes going slow. I would NEVER try it with a plastic spudger though, I can NEVER get those to work.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.