Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I've a MacBook Pro 15" 2010 running the latest version of High Sierra and I'm looking to buy an external monitor, as well as the right cable to connect it to. Its only monitor port is a miniDisplayPort though.

I read online that after macOS Sierra, Apple blocked some third party monitor cables from working. Is there an update out by now which fixed this issue? Have they re-enabled them already?

Extra question: If the exact same monitor supports both HDMI and DisplayPort video input, should I get a miniDisplayPort to HDMI cable or a miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable? Which one will give me better results in terms of video/audio? Or is it the same thing when it's the same monitor? Any general rule of thumb?

Thank you : )

Valdna

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2017
Extra question: If the exact same monitor supports both HDMI and DisplayPort video input, should I get a miniDisplayPort to HDMI cable or a miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable? Which one will give me better results in terms of video/audio? Or is it the same thing when it's the same monitor? Any general rule of thumb?

Thank you : )

If you have the option then go from mini display port to display port.
It is cheaper and it is more reliable since the cable is basically just a straight through without any electronics magic.
Keep in mind that there are passive and active display port cables. The active ones have a little amplifier inside to reach longer distances. Over 8-9m. So there is no point in spending more money to get an active cable if you do not require such a long distance.

If you decide to go with the mini Display Port to hdmi then try to avoid the cheap ebay/china adapters.
They tend to brake really easily or just pick up radio noise and mess with your connection reliability.
I'm not saying they are all like this, but more than often they will get you mad in the end :)

Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I read online that after macOS Sierra, Apple blocked some third party monitor cables from working. Is there an update out by now which fixed this issue? Have they re-enabled them already?"

I've never read or heard of this before.
Can you provide a link for that?

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I've never read or heard of this before.
Can you provide a link for that?

Yes, I found it here:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/second-screen-mac-3621421/
Which adapter do I need to connect Mac and display?
You can buy adapters from a number of third parties, and they may well be cheaper than Apple's offerings. However, it appears that since Apple unleashed macOS Sierra some third-party adapters no longer work, so we would recommend that you buy an Apple adapter, or at least one that is sold by Apple.

I also found it elsewhere, but didn't save the link.
: /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.