Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Mac OS X Public Beta (internal codename "Kodiak")

Thought we should have this for the sake of completeness now that we have threads for each of the other Mac OS X releases that were available to buy at retail (yes, Public Beta was released to buy too, even though it was still a "beta" release). Before anyone asks why you would want to run it today, the answer is for historical interest, the same as for most of the other early OS X versions. ;)

Supported Hardware
:

Generally, Mac OS X Public Beta will run on any G3- or G4-based Mac that was released prior to Public Beta's release, which are:
  • Power Mac G3 (Desktop, Mini Tower, All-in-One, Blue & White)
  • Power Mac G4 (Yikes, Sawtooth, Gigabit)
  • Power Mac G4 Cube
  • iMac G3, G3 DV (models released up to and including 2000)
  • PowerBook G3 (excluding Kanga)
  • iBook G3 (Clamshell)

Minimum RAM:

• 128MB (unofficially runs on 64MB)

Minimum Hard Drive Space / Partition Size:

• 1.5GB

Released builds:

There were in fact two different builds of Public Beta released, the main difference was that the later build included support for more languages although there are other subtle differences. For instance Internet Explorer, Mail, Music Player, TextEdit and Stickies have slightly different version numbers in the later build.
  • 1H39 (kernel date August 30, 2000) - was sold in the USA
  • 2E14 (kernel date September 16, 2000) - was sold in other parts of the world

Notes on compatibility:
  • The date on your Mac must be set to prior to May 15, 2001 in order to run Mac OS X Public Beta as it has a hardcoded expiry date that was intended to force users to upgrade to the final release of Mac OS X (10.0 Cheetah).
  • If you have a Power Mac G4 computer that came with an internal ATA disk and you have connected a second ATA disk to the same port, you must install this release of Mac OS X on the original ATA disk.
  • If you have more than one monitor connected to your computer, you may be unable to install this release. To work around this, you may need to unplug the second monitor. If you still cannot install this release, remove any additional display cards.
  • This release of Mac OS X does not support using AirPort.
  • You cannot install this release of Mac OS X on a FireWire or USB disk. This release of Mac OS X provides limited support for FireWire hard disks. While you cannot use a FireWire disk as your Mac OS X startup disk, you can store documents on a FireWire disk.

Apple Software Updates:

The final release of Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah... ;)

Screenshots (both Public Beta builds are running here on a dual-processor Power Mac G4 "Gigabit Ethernet"):

Build 1H39:

1H39.png

Supported languages (first screen of installer):

1H39 languages.jpg

Build 2E14:

2E14.png

Supported languages (first screen of installer):

2E14 languages.jpg

The later build identifies itself as "World Beta" rather than "Public Beta" when viewed using later Mac OS X versions' Startup Disk control panel, indicating its worldwide distribution and support for additional languages:

startup disk.png

The original retail Mac OS X retail package (priced at US$30 or equivalent); this one contains 2E14 but I believe the package was identical, just a different disc (this disc has part number ZM691-2858-A):

public beta.jpg

Software compatible with Mac OS X Public Beta:

• AppleWorks 6
  • iCab 2.2 Preview

This is a WikiPost.
Please contribute by editing with more download links and information.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I knew that was coming :D Great initiative.

Added AppleWorks 6 and iCab 2.2 Preview.
[doublepost=1536310072][/doublepost]
Alright! Where's Rhapsody?? ;)
That will come at some point. I kid you not. ;)

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
That will come at some point. I kid you not. ;)

I kid you not, I will be excited. :D

It's like the first build of OS X in alpha state, so early in development, they had to use the OS 9 desktop, plus elements of NeXTSTEP! I haven't even seen screenshots!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I kid you not, I will be excited. :D

It's like the first build of OS X in alpha state, so early in development, they had to use the OS 9 desktop, plus elements of NeXTSTEP! I haven't even seen screenshots!
It depends on the version of Rhapsody you're looking at – 5.0 and 5.1 were early previews but 5.3 to 5.6 were sold in retail. Lots of information including compatible applications and screenshots can be found here.

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
*Cleaned up the punctuation, spacing, and grammar.

*Cracked an excellent joke.

Question: Are there any exclusive or interesting backgrounds in Public Beta?

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
What are the contents of System/Library/CoreServices/system_build_version on the 2E14 disc, just out of interest?

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
What are the contents of System/Library/CoreServices/system_build_version on the 2E14 disc, just out of interest?
1H39: Kodiak1H39
2E14: WWBeta2E14

"WW" presumably referring to "Worldwide" - interesting, the contents of this file are pretty different for two betas that differ by only a couple of weeks, and may people don't even realise there were two distinct released versions of (I know I never used to know this)...

Question: Are there any exclusive or interesting backgrounds in Public Beta?
Not as far as I know, the default one looks the same as Cheetah's and I couldn't find any others to choose from in Public Beta...

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1 and z970

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
@647156: Thanks for answering that. It seems the worldwide build is the one to go for if you want PB no matter what, thanks to the newer kernel and bundled applications.

LarBob

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2017
United States
I've found a relatively simple way to bypass the timebomb: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-x-public-beta#comment-77794

I've heard whispers of a configuration file where you can change the date of the timebomb but I haven't actually found it in the OS at this point, if that's even the case. It seems that the timebomb is actually totally enforced by the loginwindow application.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
Would anyone happen to know which versions of Carbon are included in X DP1 and DP2? Presumably, the one in DP1 is early due to Carbon 1.0 shipping with OS 9 in October. I'd guess the one in DP2 is Carbon 1.0.0 since it uses OS 9.0 for Classic/Blue Box?​

Last edited:

zmx_2023

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2022
The operation not allowed error occurred when installing the basesystem in macos x developer preview 2.

Disk:Three partitions 1: Mac OS 8.6
2: Preparing to install macosxdeveler preview2
3: empty

I am using iBook clamshell (Orange,300Mhz)

Does anyone know what's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_8842.JPG
    IMG_8842.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 98

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
The operation not allowed error occurred when installing the basesystem in macos x developer preview 2.

It’s been a while 😎… besides of course that your installation medium could be damaged - I assume the partition is using UFS?
Are you trying to install on a >3Gb partition? If yes, create a 3Gb (or smaller) UFS partition and try again.

Additionally try to set the date to something like 1th of november 1999… I have some vague - probably totally incorrect 🤣 - memory that I had an related issue on a blue&white PM G3 when trying to install DP2 at the time and I had to replace PRAM battery because the date and time of the system were off.
I think the Clamshell iBooks use their main battery for that.

Reactions: Amethyst1

A good place to ask this question is on The Kodiak Thread — useful because once you’re able to find a remedy for the obstacle you’re running into at the moment, it can be added to that thread’s WikiPost.

Reactions: Amethyst1

zmx_2023

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2022
It’s been a while 😎… besides of course that your installation medium could be damaged - I assume the partition is using UFS?
Are you trying to install on a >3Gb partition? If yes, create a 3Gb (or smaller) UFS partition and try again.

Additionally try to set the date to something like 1th of november 1999… I have some vague - probably totally incorrect 🤣 - memory that I had an related issue on a blue&white PM G3 when trying to install DP2 at the time and I had to replace PRAM battery because the date and time of the system were off.
I think the Clamshell iBooks use their main battery for that.
Thank you, but after I set the date to November 1, 1999 and used the UFS with the size of 2GB, the same error as the original one still appears

Last edited:

amishallin

macrumors member
May 31, 2020
Well... I remember getting this to run on a 100mhz Performa 6300CD. Don't remember what I did but it ran very badly.

May have been something Apple overlooked. Hell someone was able to install Windows 11 on a Pentium 4.

Reactions: lepidotós
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.