Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amir_hmn2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2023
My MacBook Pro, a late 2013 model, suddenly ceased charging, with the charging cable's small LED failing to light up. Despite purchasing a new charger, the issue persisted. I replaced the charging port, and although the LED now turns green instead of orange, indicating an attempt to charge, the laptop remains unresponsive.

I attempted an SMC reset without success. Notably, there was no physical or liquid damage prior to the laptop malfunctioning. The fan doesn't activate, suggesting no display problems, but the CPU starts warming up. As a precaution, I've disconnected the laptop.

Considering the circumstances, the logic board appears to be a possible culprit. However, purchasing a replacement is financially challenging for me, especially without certainty that it's the problem.

I'm open to any suggestions or diagnostic steps to identify the fault. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Think the battery might be dead? Maybe the system is smart enough to "see" dead battery and not try to charge it anyway? If original battery, that's a LONG time for a MB battery.

You might look into replacing it. I recently did that on an old MB and- while fairly difficult due to an apparent obsession with glue in those days, a $55 battery replacement from Amazon has turned a dying MB into a "like new" machine again.

If it's a 13" MBpro, the apparent replacement battery is the same price as what I paid. And if 15", it is about $2 more. If you decide to try this, note: ordering the battery is the easy part. Getting the old one out of there is quite a challenge. You might want to watch some YouTube video and particularly the fishing line or strong cord approach vs. the other option of basically removing everything inside and then having to put everything back in again.

Another consideration: while you're going to be in there, do you want to upgrade anything that is upgradable. Unlike our wonderful new Silicon Macs, you have one with some flexibility to upgrade SSD, possibly to as much as 2TB for about 1/4th the price Apple charges for 2TB as sole supplier now.

It's kind of old in Apple terms to be putting much money into it, but there is the hack to put newer version of macOS on older hardware... and you can always install Windows on bootcamp and have a great Windows laptop for a good number of additional years.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.