Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
One possible solution might be getting the OLED replaced with an LCD third party display... these are available for some models but are obviously pretty low quality.

chris53

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2020
Those with PWM sensitivity on phones, how was it with old CRT TVs / Monitors? (You know, those that flickered 50/60Hz), or it is only with higher frequency PWM/Flicker

Anyway there are manufacturers using very high frequency PWM (+1000Hz) or even DC dimming (though that reduces quality) so maybe Apple will sooner or later adopt those, and Apple has increased PWM frequency, from 12 to 13...

Also some cheaper phones also use lower frequency PWM on LCD backlight...

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
One possible solution might be getting the OLED replaced with an LCD third party display... these are available for some models but are obviously pretty low quality.
Yeah @JPack commented about that, but as I said, iPhone 14 LCD screens didn’t allow the brightness sensor to work properly. If they finally solve this problem, I’ll likely go this route in the future.

However, it’s a pity to do this on a flagship iPhone such as the 16 or 17 so let’s hope they start using OLED screens with higher frequencies or even DC dimming, along with new QD OLED panels that don’t have flickering.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I plan to keep my iPhone 11 for as long as possible and will likely replace the battery within the next year. I am hesitant to switch to a Chinese-made Android phone with an LCD display due to security concerns. Additionally, I've been loyal to the iPhone since day one and feel somewhat locked into its ecosystem.

None of the OLED iPhones work for me as they cause eye strain and migraines. I have hoped each year that newer technology would alleviate this issue, but unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. It's frustrating as I am a tech enthusiast but feel held back by older equipment. I also experience eye strain with the newer iPads and MacBooks. Here's hoping the next iterations will be more comfortable for me..........

At this point, Apple shouldn't have my loyalty as they aren't prioritising the resolution of this issue. Their primary focus always appears to be on improving/maintaining battery life and their profit margin. Eye health should be a much higher priority.
"Eye Health" TF. PWM sensitivity is a discomfort your eyes won't ever get damaged by it. Two different things.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Visual disturbances, blood flow disruptions within the retina, migraine headaches accompanied by blurry vision, fatigue. All triggered from using an OLED device that is rapidly flashing light into the retina.

Can you point me to the medical literature about this

I’m having trouble finding anything

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yeah @JPack commented about that, but as I said, iPhone 14 LCD screens didn’t allow the brightness sensor to work properly. If they finally solve this problem, I’ll likely go this route in the future.

However, it’s a pity to do this on a flagship iPhone such as the 16 or 17 so let’s hope they start using OLED screens with higher frequencies or even DC dimming, along with new QD OLED panels that don’t have flickering.

All features work now. True Tone works and they can even remove the Unknown Part message when using an aftermarket display.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
All features work now. True Tone works and they can even remove the Unknown Part message when using an aftermarket display.

Thank you, those are great news then!

EDIT: oh but you need specialized tools to do this… I want to be able to change the screen in my home. We’ll see how this evolve. I’m not particularly worried of not having True Tone, but the brightness sensor is crucial.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Thank you, those are great news then!

EDIT: oh but you need specialized tools to do this… I want to be able to change the screen in my home. We’ll see how this evolve. I’m not particularly worried of not having True Tone, but the brightness sensor is crucial.

Yes, due to Apple's position on repairs, this is something that needs to be done by a local repair shop or at least mailing in your existing display.

Deine Mudda

macrumors member
May 16, 2022
Visual disturbances, blood flow disruptions within the retina, migraine headaches accompanied by blurry vision, fatigue. All triggered from using an OLED device that is rapidly flashing light into the retina. Probably not a health concern though.....🙄

Over the years, Apple has recognised the necessity of incorporating accessibility features to allow users to tailor their devices to accommodate their individual needs, whether for health reasons or personal preferences. Myself and others urge Apple, Samsung, LG, BOE, and other manufacturers to explore options for incorporating accessibility features that promote eye health specifically related to OLED.

View attachment 2367880
This flashing can cause the pupils to quickly dilate and contract.
Of course. :D
Stop trying to feel special, there is no such thing.
Otherwise convince me and cite some scientific references.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Of course. :D
Stop trying to feel special, there is no such thing.
Otherwise convince me and cite some scientific references.
I've encountered years of negative and dismissive remarks like this, as have countless others who've faced similar issues. May I ask who you are to make such a statement?

I don't need to persuade you. If you're not experiencing eye strain and headaches triggered by using OLED phones/screens, then you're not directly impacted, and this thread holds no significance for you. Do your own homework, this isn't X. Or place your comment in this thread.

Eye-strain while using iPhone X and up

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016

They're not low quality. I dropped a LCD on a XS Max a year or so ago for a client who accidentally ran over their phone with a car. They weren't interested in using the phone again, had already bought a new phone, but needed a functional screen to get some data off the phone. The LCD was about $100 less than the OLED. They gave me the phone when they'd finished.

I can't tell the difference between that screen (gave it to my girlfriend) and the screen on my XS Max other than the blacks being very, very slightly blacker, it's that good. I honestly don't understand the OLED hype.

Reactions: Populus

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
I've encountered years of negative and dismissive remarks like this, as have countless others who've faced similar issues. May I ask who you are to make such a statement?

I don't need to persuade you. If you're not experiencing eye strain and headaches triggered by using OLED phones/screens, then you're not directly impacted, and this thread holds no significance for you. Do your own homework, this isn't X. Or place your comment in this thread.

So, that's interesting, but not scientific. Is there any controlled data on this? Any actual studies that you're aware of?

I obviously don't notice a difference, but that's not evidence that some people don't have a problem. I'd just like to see something controlled, not a self-selected survey.

PWM is a standard way to dim LEDs, it's what Apple used for the LED backlight on LCD screens. I'm wondering why and how it could cause a problem for OLED screens and somehow not for LCD screens.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017

So is there or is there not any actual medical literature on the subject?

Deine Mudda

macrumors member
May 16, 2022
So, that's interesting, but not scientific. Is there any controlled data on this? Any actual studies that you're aware of?

I obviously don't notice a difference, but that's not evidence that some people don't have a problem. I'd just like to see something controlled, not a self-selected survey.

PWM is a standard way to dim LEDs, it's what Apple used for the LED backlight on LCD screens. I'm wondering why and how it could cause a problem for OLED screens and somehow not for LCD screens.
You won’t get any references from him.
Only insults.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
It doesn't matter if it's LCD, OLED or something else, your eyes are damaged by constantly using your phone.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Visual disturbances, blood flow disruptions within the retina, migraine headaches accompanied by blurry vision, fatigue. All triggered from using an OLED device that is rapidly flashing light into the retina. Probably not a health concern though.....🙄

Over the years, Apple has recognised the necessity of incorporating accessibility features to allow users to tailor their devices to accommodate their individual needs, whether for health reasons or personal preferences. Myself and others urge Apple, Samsung, LG, BOE, and other manufacturers to explore options for incorporating accessibility features that promote eye health specifically related to OLED.

View attachment 2367880
This flashing can cause the pupils to quickly dilate and contract.
Ridiculous. The rate of change on the display is so fast that it does not effect the eye like your exaggerated example!

Reactions: headlessmike

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017

Exactly. PWM is used in pretty much everything. Every iPhone ever made (LCD or OLED) uses PWM to regulate brightness. Pretty much every moden power supply (aka switch mode power supplies) uses PWM. The only potential differences between applications are switching frequency and filtering (using capacitors or inductors to smoothen out the pulses).

People need to stop making weird claims about PWM being a harmful technology that companies just use to save a dime.

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
It’s unfair to blame a company for not making a specific model for a population that’s in the thousands.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Your characterization of OLED-induced eye strain as a “preference issue” rather than a health issue is, frankly, mistaken.

Could you point me to some medical literature on the subject?

I'm curious about this and keep asking people in this thread but no one seems to be able to point to anything.

Thanks

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Could you point me to some medical literature on the subject?

I'm curious about this and keep asking people in this thread but no one seems to be able to point to anything.

Thanks
While I am an academic researcher, I’m not a medical expert. But I did do a search in a large research database and didn’t find any studies that concluded that OLED displays caused an increase in eye strain over other technologies, at least not in controlled tests.

One thing that does show up is that so-called negative displays, where light text is shown on a dark background like in modern dark modes, does lead to an increase in eye fatigue compared to positive displays. Seeing as how OLEDs are often used in a negative mode to conserve energy, that could be one reason why some people experience more eye strain. Also, LCDs don’t produce as dark of a background anyway, so the strain from using an LCD display in dark mode should be lower too. The solution might simply be to stick to light mode whenever possible.

There’s a lot of interesting research on the ergonomics of computer displays. For instance, dark bezels around a display increase eye fatigue and reduce readability compared to monitors with lighter, e.g. beige, bezels. The fad of going to dark computer hardware that started in the early 2000s is actually bad for our eyes and ultimately productivity. I think about this whenever people complain about the Apple Silicon iMacs and their light bezels.

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
Here are some examples of scientific articles about this topic. I'm sure there are others.

There are a few publications and guidelines about reducing the health effects of flickering light sources. Google IEEE PAR1789. It seems some people are more bothered by it than others. AFAIK all of the iPhones that use/used LCDs use DC dimming. I don't think the same is true of the laptops. It varies by model.

Flicker in light sources is a well accepted trigger of certain symptoms in medical literature. The most obvious manifestation being seizures from strobe lights. In fact, if you get an EEG they will often try to induce a seizure by flashing lights to see what the EEG reading does.

My guess is sensitivity to flickering screens falls on that spectrum. Personally, many PWM driven OLED screens cause Migraine-like effects for me which start out as eye strain and then progress to a migraine and a feeling of being "spaced out" the longer I look at the screen. Its worse the closer I am to the screen, worse at low brightness levels, and better if there is more light or an off angle to diffuse the effect. My LCD iPhone I can stare at all day with no issue.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Here are some examples of scientific articles about this topic. I'm sure there are others.

There are a few publications and guidelines about reducing the health effects of flickering light sources. Google IEEE PAR1789. It seems some people are more bothered by it than others. AFAIK all of the iPhones that use/used LCDs use DC dimming. I don't think the same is true of the laptops. It varies by model.

Flicker in light sources is a well accepted trigger of certain symptoms in medical literature. The most obvious manifestation being seizures from strobe lights. In fact, if you get an EEG they will often try to induce a seizure by flashing lights to see what the EEG reading does.

My guess is sensitivity to flickering screens falls on that spectrum. Personally, many PWM driven OLED screens cause Migraine-like effects for me which start out as eye strain and then progress to a migraine and a feeling of being "spaced out" the longer I look at the screen. Its worse the closer I am to the screen, worse at low brightness levels, and better if there is more light or an off angle to diffuse the effect. My LCD iPhone I can stare at all day with no issue.
I think that DC dimming is mostly a marketing term by some brands. PWM is how “dimming” a DC circuit is often done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.