Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Thought some here might like to see the raw vids as I build what will surely be my last Macquarium.

Intro to Macquarium (2:43) -

Mac Plus Teardown (6:06) -

There will be 2 or maybe 3 more vids. One where I cut/bend/bond the acrylic sheet into a tank and another where I cut/chop/hack the Mac case to hold the tank. Hoping to have them done this week. Stay tuned!

Reactions: Cubix

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Why is this going to be your last?
It's something I started doing for extra cash in the 90s but I had quit making them over 20 years ago. I didn't need the money and I didn't need any more for myself. I'm retired now and just got a nostalgic urge a few months ago and here we are. Not just the last Macquarium, but the first (and only) 21st Century Macquarium.

Anyway, I took a few months off from the project but picked it back up last week. I'm about 80% done, just some detail work now plus building a filter and figuring out what kind of lights it'll have.

The videos will be coming along once I'm done. Here's what it looks like today. The tank came out really nice. I made a bunch of these back in the day, but it took me a while to get my mojo back once I started. That plus all my tools are antiques now. :D

IMG_8867.JPG

More to come!

Last edited:
Reactions: CooperBox

noone

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
It's something I started doing for extra cash in the 90s but I had quit making them over 20 years ago. I didn't need the money and I didn't need any more for myself. I'm retired now and just got a nostalgic urge a few months ago and here we are. Not just the last Macquarium, but the first (and only) 21st Century Macquarium.

Anyway, I took a few months off from the project but picked it back up last week. I'm about 80% done, just some detail work now plus building a filter and figuring out what kind of lights it'll have.

The videos will be coming along once I'm done. Here's what it looks like today. The tank came out really nice. I made a bunch of these back in the day, but it took me a while to get my mojo back once I started. That plus all my tools are antiques now. :D

IMG_8867.JPG

More to come!
That's shaping up to be a nice looking tank. Shame you've retired though - I'd love to have purchased one.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
It is done. I'll be packing it up this weekend to ship off to its new home. The video is gonna be a whole other project, one that will wait until it's too hot to work outside.
IMG_6004.jpeg

IMG_6001.jpeg

IMG_5991.jpeg

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Did some editing on the teardown video. I think this is close to the format I want to use for the whole set.

This also has inspired me to dust off my own remaining Macquarium and put it back in service. This is my first fish since probably 2004-ish. I really LOVE the lighting options I have now compared to 20 years ago. Love LEDs!

This old tank still looks great and performs well after 22+ years. I build them to last!

DSC_0006_001.jpeg

DSC_0007_001.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg

IMG_6262.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.