Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Three episodes in, a thumbs up, recommend based on a caveat, you like Post Apocalyptic thrillers, in this case a fungus that infects humans and hijacks their brains. Their primary intent becomes to infect others, spread the fungus.

My wife says “just another Walking Dead”. She did not like TWD. That may be kind of true but these stories, besides the primary threat is all about what people do in response and to each other. Episode 3 was an outstanding story arc about 2 people who find each other.

The idea of traveling from Boston to Wyoming seems quite the challenge under the circumstances 20 years after the world wide breakout, which is where this story is set, with flashbacks.

6AECAB8C-D7E6-4DDE-9D31-C207D073195E.jpeg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Three episodes in, a thumbs up, recommend based on a caveat, you like Post Apocalyptic thrillers, in this case a fungus that infects humans and hijacks their brains. Their primary intent becomes to infect others, spread the fungus.

My wife says “just another Walking Dead”. She did not like TWD. That may be kind of true but these stories, besides the primary threat is all about what people do in response and to each other. Episode 3 was an outstanding story arc about 2 people who find each other.

The idea of traveling from Boston to Wyoming seems quite the challenge under the circumstances 20 years after the world wide breakout, which is where this story is set, with flashbacks.

I enjoyed the show. There are obviously a lot of similarities with the walking dead, but I feel it’s a bit different.
But I liked that show as well.

Been renewed for a second season as well.

Reactions: Huntn

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
My wife and I enjoyed it a lot, although we both felt the ending was sort of abrupt. "Wait, that's it?"

But I thought the strength and chemistry of the two actors playing Ellie and Joel carried the show, and what set it apart from Walking Dead was being able to watch that relationship grow into something you cared about. The whole Post Apocalyptic monster stuff took a back seat, which is part of why my wife liked this and never got into Walking Dead.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife and I enjoyed it a lot, although we both felt the ending was sort of abrupt. "Wait, that's it?"

But I thought the strength and chemistry of the two actors playing Ellie and Joel carried the show, and what set it apart from Walking Dead was being able to watch that relationship grow into something you cared about. The whole Post Apocalyptic monster stuff took a back seat, which is part of why my wife liked this and never got into Walking Dead.
Even in the The Walking Dead, although the zombies played a prominent part, they were more like a background setting to the main plot of humans surving and the choices made to survive. A favorite term is survival morality… :)

Reactions: dmr727

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finished the season, big thumbs up.

Yes, it felt very much like The Walking Dead, but I watched the 7 seasons of that before I got Negan fatigue. This story as a journey has a different tempo. I found all the flashback stories to be interesting.

I’ve not played the game, but the philosophical choice at the end is a thought provoker. I think most would see one choice as logical and pragmatic and the other choice as emotional and selfish, but which one could you better live with? I’m not expecting an answer without spoiler tags. :)

If the person with immunity was given the choice to save humanity or not, and wanted to, at the expense of their own life, as the person who loved them, this would be more difficult to resist the loved one’s desire to sacrifice themselves. But again, no choice was given. Elle was lied to for the greater good, and based on love, Joel took exception to that believing the cure was not worth it.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Pascal likes to father odd lost children.
Nice to see more of the guy while waiting for the continuation of Mandalorian.

I like it.

Reactions: Huntn

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Finished the season, big thumbs up.

Yes, it felt very much like The Walking Dead, but I watched the 7 seasons of that before I got Negan fatigue. This story as a journey has a different tempo. I found all the flashback stories to be interesting.

I’ve not played the game, but the philosophical choice at the end is a thought provoker. I think most would see one choice as logical and pragmatic and the other choice as emotional and selfish, but which one could you better live with? I’m not expecting an answer without spoiler tags. :)

If the person with immunity was given the choice to save humanity or not, and wanted to, at the expense of their own life, as the person who loved them, this would be more difficult to resist the loved one’s desire to sacrifice themselves. But again, no choice was given. Elle was lied to for the greater good, and based on love, Joel took exception to that believing the cure was not worth it.

If you have ever read the TWD comics, Negan plays a part, but nothing near what he did in the show. If they would have stuck to the books, I hate to say that, but the series is one of the best series I have ever read when it comes to this format. It is along the lines of GOT, in that, don't get to attached to a character, because there is a good chance they will die. But, but you get attached because the story telling is so freaking good. In the books, Rick even gets it. Granted not till the end, but not the very end.

Sorry, back to the show. We loved it and can't wait to see for the second season. Since we knew nothing about the game, we started watching "Screencrush" on Youtube after the episodes. The person does a really good job of filling the in the "holes" if you will about the game and how it relates to the show. Highly recommend.

Also, here is a teaser poster for season two... I will let you read about the significance of the hammer and hand here:

https://nerdist.com/article/the-las...eases-abby-anderson-from-game-neil-druckmann/

FrmLRLyaEAEwKxm

Reactions: Lioness~ and Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.