Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
When I am in putting a phrase in a search box on either iPad or my iPhone, if I type the letter R it freezes my screen and I have to shut the app down to continue to use my iDevice. Is anyone else having this?
I never saw this in any of the previous iOS versions, just since I upgraded to 8.
Only in search boxes.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
When I am in putting a phrase in a search box on either iPad or my iPhone, if I type the letter R it freezes my screen and I have to shut the app down to continue to use my iDevice. Is anyone else having this?
I never saw this in any of the previous iOS versions, just since I upgraded to 8.
Only in search boxes.

I tried a few searches with "r" and my screen never froze. Using iPhone 6+ on iOS 8. I also ran the betas on my 5S and never had an issue with screen freezes....granted I can't remeber how many searches had an "r" but I'm sure there were enough I would notice.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Only in search boxes.

I'm not able to reproduce (though I have had some oddities with Mail crashing with the search box, nothing consistent though).

Which model of devices are you using?
What apps are you using that triggers this?
Are there any apps that don't do this?
Does the Spotlight search (swipe down on the desktop) do this?
Are you using any third-party keyboards?

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm not able to reproduce (though I have had some oddities with Mail crashing with the search box, nothing consistent though).

Which model of devices are you using? THE LATEST
What apps are you using that triggers this? SAFARI
Are there any apps that don't do this? UNKNOWN
Does the Spotlight search (swipe down on the desktop) do this? NO
Are you using any third-party keyboards? NO

I went by my local Apple Store to handle the 6+ and while I was there I asked the greeter who was a manager.
What he said makes sense. I have a corrupt file in my back up. I like all of my devices to be very similar so they're all restored off of my original iPhone back up. That is why it is on all of my devices. He recommended that I do a back up, then wipe one of my devices and set it up as new.
I'm pretty sure I'll find that I no longer have the problem.
I do appreciate your reply, I answered your questions above but I'm pretty sure I found the solution. Regards Ron7624

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I went by my local Apple Store to handle the 6+ and while I was there I asked the greeter who was a manager.
What he said makes sense. I have a corrupt file in my back up. I like all of my devices to be very similar so they're all restored off of my original iPhone back up. That is why it is on all of my devices. He recommended that I do a back up, then wipe one of my devices and set it up as new.
I'm pretty sure I'll find that I no longer have the problem.
I do appreciate your reply, I answered your questions above but I'm pretty sure I found the solution. Regards Ron7624

I thought it might have been something like that. I'm glad you found a potential solution though, good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.