Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2002
Ok.. How do I add a tiny little icon that several browsers use when you put them in your bookmarks?

See picture:

untitleddfsdf.bmp

Attachments

• untitleddfsdf.bmp
    48 KB · Views: 271

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
And there is a section of the MR forums specifically for aswering
quesion and other help related topics entitled Mac Help/Questions
and tips. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Actually, in case you're doing it on a mac, you don't need .ico files, you can use .gifs - just make sure they're the right size and link them in you <head> as per the instructions.

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Interesting point, dukestreet. I've never tried using gifs.

GraphicConverter can output .ico files just fine, and that's what I've used on Apache on Mac OS X.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I used the header link as defined in the MS page...

<HEAD>
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.mydomain.com/myicon.ico">
</HEAD>

I've got it working in Safari, but it still doesn't explain two things:

First, why isn't it working in IE or Camino?

Second, why is it that so many of the web pages that I've looked at the source for, which have favicons, don't have the above link tag in the header (including MacRumors)? How are they managing to get their favicons?

Anyone have any ideas on these?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Hmmm, the version of Camino I'm using supports them just fine. You might try emptying your cache and history. I had to do that to get Safari to see my new one when I updated it.

IE doesn't support them at all, so that explains why you're not seeing it there.

As far as not linking explicitly, most servers will automatically put one in if it's called "favicon.ico" and is in the server's root directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.