Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Is it just me or does anyone else like the notch at the top of the screen where the FaceTime Camera, sensors etc reside? I think it gives the IPhone X a unique look. Also the alternative would be to have a straight bezel at the top which I think would be more ugly and you would also lose the benefit of the additional bit of screen space on either side of the notch.

Last edited:

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Is it just me or does anyone else like the notch at the top of the screen where the FaceTime Camera, sensors etc reside? I think it gives the IPhone X an unique look. Also the alternative would be to have a straight bezel at the top which I think would be more ugly and you would also lose the benefit of the additional bit of screen space on either side of the notch.

It's atrocious in my opinion. If people want to see my receding hairline, they should be looking at my head..not my phone. Then again...maybe the iPhone Notch will distract people from looking at my receding hairline....hmmm...

Last edited:

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
It would have been ok if they permanently blacked out the notch areas and just had the status indicators but they chose to go strictly against their own design principles and tried to sell it as a 5.8 inch screen

Reactions: dontworry

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I like the notch and I am happy they went with a unique design. I would rather them do that then black out the top status bar on each side because I think the extra screen real estate will be a great experience while using the phone. Makes the screen feel much bigger.

Reactions: Ashka

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I honestly assumed the part of the screen with the indicators near the notch would be blacked out during a full screen situation and the screen area would be just smaller next to the notch.

I didn't think it would just be non-rectangled stretched under the notch.

It goes against the basic principles of aesthetics.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
It looks daft.

Thing is, this time next year when we get the XI (or whatever) it's still going to be there unless they simple straighten it at the top - but then they can't claim the screen is 'edge to edge'.

Amazed they thought this would look good. Maybe I'm over-reacting but its one of the main reasons I refuse to spend the money on it (along with no touch ID and first gen face ID).

Maybe I'll feel differently after I see some review videos and impressions etc.

Reactions: eric3312

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I actually prefer the look of the iPhone X over the Galaxy S8. I'll take a weirdly shaped edge-to-edge (albeit slightly thicker edges) over top/bottom edges. To my eye, it makes the screen look bigger and it has a unique look.

Reactions: Jetcat3

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
don't care either way..just want a + version
Hopefully your wish will come true next September?
[doublepost=1506961237][/doublepost]
looking at some hands-on videos, the notch seemed to disappear for me, when i was actually concentrating on the content instead of the phone. i suspect i'll get used to it in no time.
Same here. Although I quite like the notch anyway. I think with time devs will find quirky and cool ways of utilising the notch to make the user experience more fun.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
In two months, the computer (née phone) will be in the hands of millions of customers and nobody will care.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I'm going to sell a Notch decal so anybody can get that futuristic, completely bezelless, edge-to-edge screen experience on any iDevice. I expect SE owners such as myself will love this item.

Reactions: larry00

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't mind the notch at all. It looks distinctive, and I hardly ever use my phone in landscape mode for the notch to matter. I definitely don't watch movies or TV shows on tiny devices, so it wouldn't matter for those, either, as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Ashka

Downhilltenago

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Been watching a lot of hands on videos lately. I do believe it sets it apart and me personally I like it. It serves its purpose. I personally think if it's that bad for you.... Go get a whatever other phone you think may be best for you. Everything about the phone looks good to me and I really am liking the face ID. Also having worked on a phone with gestures it's going to be so much easier. I can't wait! I'm just not getting the hate.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I like the notch better than the waste of space we had for years.

f7EELQJ.jpg

But I'm surprised no one is complaining about the rounded corners. Because that's a big change too.

Apple-of-my-eye

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I don’t love the notch- but it doesn’t bother me either.

I foresee wallpaper apps having the top with a black line to fill the area in around the notch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.