Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twist-erase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2019
Hey lads,
I've been dual booting Linux for a while now, which I partitioned myself using diskutil commands.
So the process for me to setup Linux took a while but everything worked out perfectly, util now.

So I was interested in doing a fresh install of MacOS and dedicate the entire drive for this OS, since my time in Linux was of minimal usage the past months.

So today I did all preparations necessary for backing up my data, which was done to a success.

I decided to do a quick check of my disk setup to check how the partitions were dedicated size wise.

My harddrive is 251 gb while my mac partitions was 120 in size, the rest was dedicated to Linux.

I realized quickly that my Linux partition was gone and the space seems lost, even though that is unheard of for me.

I may admit that my OS X skills arent top notch, so I wonder how I can reformat the drive and reinstall Mac again - this is something I'm used to doing on Windows and Linux.

It might be different on OS X?

I tried booting into CMD + R to try to see if it was possible to reformat the disk from there without any luck, It displays the disk the same way the photo from Disk Util (tool).

https://ibb.co/Mpk9W73

I've attached a photo showing my partition and volume structure.
https://ibb.co/C2ZsPrj

I also tried using Disk Drill, but it didn't work - of course, since "diskutil list" doesn't even list it.

Would really appriciate all support I can get.
[doublepost=1556752931][/doublepost]APFS shows the same.

Attachments

• apfs.png
    apfs.png
    544.7 KB · Views: 141

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
1. Get an external drive
2. Get either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both free to use for 30 days)
3. Use either CCC or SD to create a bootable cloned copy of your Mac partition on the external drive
4. BOOT FROM the external drive
5. ERASE the internal drive to a single Mac partition
6. Use CCC (or SD) to RE-clone the contents of the backup BACK TO the internal drive.
7. Done.

If you do the above procedure, I guarantee 100% good results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.