Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Now that some of the possible components are surfacing in manufacturer road-maps, eg Arrandale, GeForce 200M etc, we are getting a possible glimpse into what the next-gen Air might look like.

Post your realistic/semi-realistic dream specs here!

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
My dream specs:

"The MacBook Helium" :

Nvidia GeForce 200M
Custom Intel Arrandale 2.93GHz 32nm processor
512GB SSD
4GB RAM @ 1,333MHz
Black Carbon Fiber Body
Stunning OLED display
9 Hour Battery (7 real world)
2.8 pounds weight
Integrated 4G
3rd Gen Bear-slaughtering algorithm
Shards of moon
Pleasant on the tongue

I'd do absolutely anything for such a specimen, however expensive it's likely to be, I don't care how I fund it, I'd actually consider selling a kidney knowing I'd utterly regret it. I'm sorry but the specs above would render me woefully irrational. Please do it Steve. Steven. Steven Jobs.

i say we skip right to Rev Z, which will tap right into our neuro circuitry.
I say we skip the latin alphabet altogether to the Rev Omega, which will be our neural circuitry.

And by "our" I mean billions of pods of biocells solely processing and powering Mecha-Steven Jobs, Emperor of the Machines, upon his Gamma-Throne.

Ok, a more serious look at the next MBA:

My Predictions:

Processor:
It looks like 2.93GHz might be beyond Intel for the given thermal envelope. What would you guys guess is a realistic processor bump for next year? Intel will have to custom-design one of these (as they have with the current MBA) but they haven't announced anything yet. My guess: Around 2.4GHz

RAM

Guess: 4GB RAM is a given

Storage

I still imagine 512GB SSD will be possible at 1.8" for next year.

Graphics
GeForce 200M looks likely according to a recent report purportedly quoting insiders (Digitimes)

Screen
OLED is probably going to be too expensive, unless Apple go for a hyper-premium model. Guess:LED back-lit screen with increased color gamut

Battery
Current MBA is according to Apple "Up to 5 hours". With improved throttling algorithms in Snow Leopard (throttling individual cores) and potential for improved battery tech/spacial efficiency, I guess 7 hour-battery

Body
Despite reading reports late last year about rumors of Apple looking into Carbon Fiber tech for a possible future MBA, the argument of poor thermal conduction and perhaps price means that it is difficult to imagine them not continuing with their proven aluminum model.

Thoughts?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada

My Predictions:

Processor:
It looks like 2.93GHz might be beyond Intel for the given thermal envelope. What would you guys guess is a realistic processor bump for next year? Intel will have to custom-design one of these (as they have with the current MBA) but they haven't announced anything yet. My guess: Around 2.4GHz

RAM

Storage

Graphics
GeForce 200M looks likely according to a recent report purportedly quoting insiders (Digitimes)

Screen
OLED is probably going to be too expensive, unless Apple go for a hyper-premium model. Guess:LED back-lit screen with increased color gamut

Battery
Current MBA is according to Apple "Up to 5 hours". With improved throttling algorithms in Snow Leopard (throttling individual cores) and potential for improved battery tech/spacial efficiency, I guess 7 hour-battery

Body
Despite reading reports late last year about rumors of Apple looking into Carbon Fiber tech for a possible future MBA, the argument of poor thermal conduction and perhaps price means that it is difficult to imagine them not continuing with their proven aluminum model.

Thoughts?

i think apple's main focus on the new air is thermal management and speed.

i believe the new air will have a 256gb ssd...but will be very good in random reads and writes.

4gb ram i hope so! i would love that.

i doubt the battery will change much, 30min or so.

the cpu i cannot see being increased at this time, i would say they will work out a new chip, or keep it at 1.86 and 2.13...perhaps ULV chips ?

the biggest mistake in the current air is the 6mb cache cpu, i think a 2.4 3mb would be thermally easier to cool....any input would be good on that regard.

thanks

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
All I really want is for them to fix the following:

(1) Line Issue
(2) Hinge Issue
(3) Wi-Fi Issue
(4) Trackpad Scratching the Bezel Issue

Add these as well:

- The Glass Trackpad
- 256 SSD (will come eventually)
- 4 gigs of RAM, also will likely come
- Stereo Speakers
- Higher resolution screen (although I don't really expect it)

I am not expecting anything huge in the Processor or Battery departments, but Apple will do more as they can.

What I don't want:

- Intel Integrated Graphics

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
All I really want is for them to fix the following:

(1) Line Issue
(2) Hinge Issue
(3) Wi-Fi Issue
(4) Trackpad Scratching the Bezel Issue

Add these as well:

- The Glass Trackpad
- 256 SSD (will come eventually)
- 4 gigs of RAM, also will likely come
- Stereo Speakers
- Higher resolution screen (although I don't really expect it)

I am not expecting anything huge in the Processor or Battery departments, but Apple will do more as they can.

What I don't want:

- Intel Integrated Graphics

i gotta ask this because i have fixed this issue on a few airs...

what wireless issues do you have ?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
i gotta ask this because i have fixed this issue on a few airs...

what wireless issues do you have ?

I had five different models (A & B), and all had problems dropping wi-fi connections. I "forced" Apple to take my Air back and now have a Macbook Pro 15". No issues. I would love to go back to the Air though, because of the size, but that isn't happening until the machine is actually built well.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I had five different models (A & B), and all had problems dropping wi-fi connections. I "forced" Apple to take my Air back and now have a Macbook Pro 15". No issues. I would love to go back to the Air though, because of the size, but that isn't happening until the machine is actually built well.

i have had issues on the mba rev c with wifi, which once snow leopard was installed are corrected.

i see snow leopard making a big difference in the air's overall performance.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
i have had issues on the mba rev c with wifi, which once snow leopard was installed are corrected.

i see snow leopard making a big difference in the air's overall performance.

That's good to hear, but it won't fix the major hardware defects.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You do realize that according to Intel, Nvidia cannot legally provide a chipset for the Arrandale CPU you project for the MBA rev D?

You do realize there is a huge legal dispute between Intel and Nvidia right now about Intel CPUs and Nvidia's license to provide chipsets for Intel CPUs!

I think it's unreasonable to expect that this will happen... as Nvidia chipsets have cost Intel too much in lost business.

This is a gigantic problem for the Mac, especially the MBA!

I definitely think it's a "DREAM" to expect this will happen for a rev D MBA. So if you have some insight, and are not sharing, why don't you explain how this legal dispute is all going to be worked through in time for a "rev D" MBA with Arrandale and 200M Nvidia GPU... I would LOVE to know... or are you NOT even considering this as a problem/issue??? WHY??? Or, are you just jumping to your own conclusions...

Seriously, do you expect Apple to help mediate between Intel and Nvidia to make this happen for the rev D MBA? I really am curious how this is no longer a problem and we should all expect the article you cited in another thread to be factual about the future of the MBA???

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
You do realize that according to Intel, Nvidia cannot legally provide a chipset for the Arrandale CPU you project for the MBA rev D?

You do realize there is a huge legal dispute between Intel and Nvidia right now about Intel CPUs and Nvidia's license to provide chipsets for Intel CPUs!

I think it's unreasonable to expect that this will happen... as Nvidia chipsets have cost Intel too much in lost business.

This is a gigantic problem for the Mac, especially the MBA!

I definitely think it's a "DREAM" to expect this will happen for a rev D MBA. So if you have some insight, and are not sharing, why don't you explain how this legal dispute is all going to be worked through in time for a "rev D" MBA with Arrandale and 200M Nvidia GPU... I would LOVE to know... or are you NOT even considering this as a problem/issue??? WHY??? Or, are you just jumping to your own conclusions...

Seriously, do you expect Apple to help mediate between Intel and Nvidia to make this happen for the rev D MBA? I really am curious how this is no longer a problem and we should all expect the article you cited in another thread to be factual about the future of the MBA???
Oh my good lord, I've awoken Mighty Talos here!

What's with the tone?! Conveys an exasperation that's quite incongruous with the temperature of the thread. Take it easy chap! Ok then I predict no Nvidia chip. Happy? :D

Whatever chip they use, however they resolve the legal wranglings (neither legal virgins by any stretch), if Apple go for an MBA D I find it difficult to imagine them releasing it with a weaker crucial component.

Scott, I've been reading your posts for months and always liked the enthusiasm in your predictions (and being possibly the leading defender Vs the anti-MBA brigade!) but you haven't been too vocal yet about your predictions for a possible next-gen MBA - let us hear them!

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I had forgotten the Airs didn't have the new trackpad. I'd say put that in the next, and do the whole glass cover black trim on the screen, allow 4GB RAM, and I'd be looking at it a lot harder! Not much to ask eh.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Oh my good lord, I've awoken Mighty Talos here!

What's with the tone?! Conveys an exasperation that's quite incongruous with the temperature of the thread. Take it easy chap! Ok then I predict no Nvidia chip. Happy? :D

Whatever chip they use, however they resolve the legal wranglings (neither legal virgins by any stretch), if Apple go for an MBA D I find it difficult to imagine them releasing it with a weaker crucial component.

Scott, I've been reading your posts for months and always liked the enthusiasm in your predictions (and being possibly the leading defender Vs the anti-MBA brigade!) but you haven't been too vocal yet about your predictions for a possible next-gen MBA - let us hear them!

I understand you may not have been aware, but Nvidia chipsets are not going to happen in a rev D MBA unless:
a. Apple uses a Penryn CPU
b. Apple uses a non-Intel CPU
c. Nvidia pays for new licensing agreement with Intel
d. Apple pays Intel for the licensing for those computers

That is all I am saying...

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I definitely think it's a "DREAM" to expect this will happen for a rev D MBA. So if you have some insight, and are not sharing, why don't you explain how this legal dispute is all going to be worked through in time for a "rev D" MBA with Arrandale and 200M Nvidia GPU... I would LOVE to know... or are you NOT even considering this as a problem/issue??? WHY???

Oh boy.. someone forgot to take their meds today.. ;)

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
first of all i would love to see the macbook air, as small as a paper sheet.

-must run on "anti or dark- matter"
-700YB Hard Drive
-A nividia super processor like the "cell" in the play station 3
-4D holographics
-a new type of LED powered screens
-capable of playing 1080p evrything
-50 hours of battery

I know all of this is way off!:D

but i would just like to see the MBA, smaller and thinner and cheaper!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
why are you running this thread again? you already have one thread open in regards to this same topic... thread is blatant spam and should be deleted. Stick with your old thread which is still good for discussion.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Ok guys what do you think of these final, more realistic, specs for a possible next-gen MBA for next year?

-Circa 2.4GHz
-4GB RAM
-256-512GB SSD
-GeForce 200M (only presuming legal resolution)
-LED-Backlit screen with increased color gamut
-7-Hour battery
-Aluminium body

Quite a sober update.

I dunno...Don't get me wrong if Apple released that I'd buy it immediately, but it lacks a "wow" component that I'd expect from a more major Apple update. Any ideas what possible trick Apple might have up their sleeve for a possible next MBA?

Maybe they'll release it (if they do) as a more silent update like the MBA C?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Ok guys what do you think of these final, more realistic, specs for a possible next-gen MBA for next year?

-Circa 2.4GHz
-4GB RAM
-256-512GB SSD
-GeForce 200M (only presuming legal resolution)
-LED-Backlit screen with increased color gamut
-7-Hour battery
-Aluminium body

Quite a sober update.

I dunno...Don't get me wrong if Apple released that I'd buy it immediately, but it lacks a "wow" component that I'd expect from a more major Apple update. Any ideas what possible trick Apple might have up their sleeve for a possible next MBA?

Maybe they'll release it (if they do) as a more silent update like the MBA C?

It already has an Aluminum Unibody design.

They can't squeeze the 7-hour battery found the in the pro's into the Air because of space.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
It already has an Aluminum Unibody design.

They can't squeeze the 7-hour battery found the in the pro's into the Air because of space.
Yup, I know it's the alu body, it's a pity that a carbon fiber one (as was rumoured last year) looks unrealistic :(

As for the battery - that's my prediction for 'Apple claim' - they currently claim 5 hours (!) for their current MBA on their site. I'm just imagining that with the better throttling in Snow Leopard (throttling individual cores), more efficient components with smaller processes (32nm Intels) and thermals, slightly improved spacial efficiency and battery power, maybe they can bump their Apple claim by 1 or 2 hours?

Who knows

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Yup, I know it's the alu body, it's a pity that a carbon fiber one (as was rumoured last year) looks unrealistic :(

As for the battery - that's my prediction for 'Apple claim' - they currently claim 5 hours (!) for their current MBA on their site. I'm just imagining that with the better throttling in Snow Leopard (throttling individual cores), more efficient components with smaller processes (32nm Intels) and thermals, slightly improved spacial efficiency and battery power, maybe they can bump their Apple claim by 1 or 2 hours?

Who knows

snow leopard already gives me an extra 30 mins of battery on my air.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think you're being far more realistic even though it's a "dream" list.

I would be happy with:
SL9600 CPU at 2.13 GHz
4 GB DDR3 RAM (although highly prefer 2 RAM slots)
256 GB SSD (with slightly faster read and double write speeds)
Nvidia 200m (likely with a Penryn CPU)
Better Battery (new tech to extend cycle potential - prob 1hr gained)
OLED Display (I think it's possible as Apple would test in MBA first)

I think that's really possible in an MBA released before Arrandale.

Also possible is a rev D that is lighter, more portable, and far less powerful with a Ultra Low Voltage CPU (instead of low voltage). This is an MBA that would substitute as a secondary Mac or netbook instead of bein primary Mac capable as current MBA.

Finally, a rev D with Arrandale CPU is possible. If that happens, we will most probably be stuck with Intel integrated graphics. I pray that Apple finds out a way to cool a dedicated graphics chip down in the same size MBA form factor as we currently have. I will be so disappointed if Apple only gives us the Intel integrated graphics; those would operate at less than 50% of Nvidia's 200m. It would be a major loss for a "primary" Mac capable MBA!

Or, God bless us all, Apple or Nvidia figure out and agree to pay for licensing to use Nvidia chipsets/GPUs with Arrandale CPUs in at least the MBA. The MBP buyers would be fine as Apple would use a dedicated solution in those.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota

Sounds like user error. 5 Macbook Air's and you couldn't get your wireless to work? Give me a break. Every time a problem follows someone in bunches (2+ of the identical issue) I always blame user error. I have never once heard of one person getting 5 machines that all fail on wireless. That makes absolutely no sense.

And I always love these threads as many of the specs people bang out make minimal sense. Apple cannot up the processors very much without creating bigger heat issues. Apple cannot pack a 7 hour battery into the Air given the space. I already get 5 hours of battery from my Air anyway. 4GB of RAM seems possible, lets hope they can pull that off.

My prediction? Simple: more storage, possibly 4GB of RAM, and a minimal at best CPU bump.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
My dream specs:

"The MacBook Helium" :

Nvidia GeForce 200M
Custom Intel Arrandale 2.93GHz 32nm processor
512GB SSD
4GB RAM @ 1,333MHz
Black Carbon Fiber Body
Stunning OLED display
9 Hour Battery (7 real world)
2.8 pounds weight
Integrated 4G
3rd Gen Bear-slaughtering algorithm
Shards of moon
Pleasant on the tongue

I'd do absolutely anything for such a specimen, however expensive it's likely to be, I don't care how I fund it, I'd actually consider selling a kidney knowing I'd utterly regret it. I'm sorry but the specs above would render me woefully irrational. Please do it Steve. Steven. Steven Jobs.

I say we skip the latin alphabet altogether to the Rev Omega, which will be our neural circuitry.

And by "our" I mean billions of pods of biocells solely processing and powering Mecha-Steven Jobs, Emperor of the Machines, upon his Gamma-Throne.

My Predictions:

Processor:

RAM

Storage

Graphics

Screen

Battery

Body

Thoughts?

you should know that Apple has never been all about the lastest specs and certainly not the first to come out with a brand new cpu lcd screen...etc. they're about user experience, thats why they don't have the latest and greatest.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
you should know that Apple has never been all about the lastest specs and certainly not the first to come out with a brand new cpu lcd screen...etc. they're about user experience, thats why they don't have the latest and greatest.
You're right that used to be true, but it seems that Apple's enormous resurgence has conferred them a status that has resulted in closer links with some of the big manufacturers, eg Intel, Nvidia and Samsung, that have resulted in Apple having first dibs on new hardware. For example the 60%-size Core 2-duo Intel designed for the Air, or, as far as i remember, Apple got 9400m first etc - there are several examples of this recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.