Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soquickwitit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Well first off, I'm going to be new to mac computers. I have been wanting to switch for years and finally am tuesday!!

Anyways, I'm getting the 13 inch 2.2 ghz macbook with the 120gb hard drive with 1 gb memory. and i ordered 4 gb of memory for $100 bucks, so it'll be a 4 gb fully loaded macbook.

I also plan on updating the hard drive to 320gb very soon.

I'm basically looking for opinions for what i want to do with this macbook. I'm gonna be mainly converting bluray files (.mkv) to Apple TV. and i'm wondering how long conversion times would be with a computer like this. So give me your opinions if this mac is good for what i want to do!! or if i should go bigger.thx

wisesagetroy

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Well first off, I'm going to be new to mac computers. I have been wanting to switch for years and finally am tuesday!!

Anyways, I'm getting the 13 inch 2.2 ghz macbook with the 120gb hard drive with 1 gb memory. and i ordered 4 gb of memory for $100 bucks, so it'll be a 4 gb fully loaded macbook.

I'm basically looking for opinions for what i want to do with this macbook. I'm gonna be mainly converting bluray files (.mkv) to Apple TV. and i'm wondering how long conversion times would be with a computer like this. So give me your opinions if this mac is good for what i want to do!! or if i should go bigger.thx

No! Buy macbook pros comes out this tuesdayus!

sorry for my bad english!

Arkbargle

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Why buy it if you don't have anything to do with it? There's a bajillion things you can do with any laptop, what are we supposed to tell you?

secretpact

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007

I don't know anything about converting Blu-ray movies, but I'm assuming you have some way of even getting the blu-ray files onto your computer, first of all?

And congrats on your soon-to-be purchase :). My blackbook is getting quite dated (2.0GHz, 2.5GB RAM, 120GB HD) but it's still good enough for me! Well... except for games. heh.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
So give me your opinions if this mac is good for what i want to do!! or if i should go bigger.thx

how do you intend to transfer your BLu-ray discs from a macbook? or even a macbook pro?
go bigger? but why? why not?? what happens aFTER you get Bigger??

seriously... your question is like this...
Hey guys' i'm getting my paycheck this fri which is $ xxx,xxx... now what should i do with it?:D:D:D:D

soquickwitit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
My Question was simple. For what i want to do (convert Mkv to apple tv) is the computer i picked good for that? or should i upgrade? if so, why? will the upgrade make the conversions quicker?

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
My Question was simple. For what i want to do (convert Mkv to apple tv) is the computer i picked good for that? or should i upgrade? if so, why? will the upgrade make the conversions quicker?

What is happening is they are heckling you because what you are trying to do would be impossible unless you got an external drive, and even then, you are planning on doing 25GB+ video conversions. For someone who has such a sophisticated goal, we would think you wouldn't be asking the questions your asking. However, to try and answer you, if you had the external blu-ray drive and the 4GB, you should be ok, for about 4 movies. Then you would have to start deleting them or get a bigger HD. I just got the same exact machine you did and I have 2.5 GB of RAM and it is running very nicely. Go ahead and get it, you will be very happy. Don't worry about the hecklers, as they are good hearted.

soquickwitit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
What is happening is they are heckling you because what you are trying to do would be impossible unless you got an external drive, and even then, you are planning on doing 25GB+ video conversions. For someone who has such a sophisticated goal, we would think you wouldn't be asking the questions your asking. However, to try and answer you, if you had the external blu-ray drive and the 4GB, you should be ok, for about 4 movies. Then you would have to start deleting them or get a bigger HD. I just got the same exact machine you did and I have 2.5 GB of RAM and it is running very nicely. Go ahead and get it, you will be very happy. Don't worry about the hecklers, as they are good hearted.

Well, for one, i dont need any external drive. Cause i have a source for my bluray files and hd files. I'm just wondering how the speed is on the conversions for files like these.

and as far as the hecklers. Basically just computer dorks who get smart on the internet. Doesnt bother me none. Its actually funny. But hey, whatever makes them feel good about themself

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Well, for one, i dont need any external drive. Cause i have a source for my bluray files and hd files. I'm just wondering how the speed is on the conversions for files like these.

and as far as the hecklers. Basically just computer dorks who get smart on the internet. Doesnt bother me none. Its actually funny. But hey, whatever makes them feel good about themself

we'll assume you are getting them legally, but yes, for what you want to do that laptop is just fine, only thing better would be a desktop with a core 2 quad

or a 2.6 macbook pro would be better but quite a bit more money and not worth it for what you want

soquickwitit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
we'll assume you are getting them legally, but yes, for what you want to do that laptop is just fine, only thing better would be a desktop with a core 2 quad

or a 2.6 macbook pro would be better but quite a bit more money and not worth it for what you want

good stuff. Appreciate your input. thx

Arkbargle

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008

What do you need a laptop for video conversions for, though? A desktop would be cheaper, and afford you more cpu power and hard drive space. And it would be cheaper.

Conversion time will be a decent wait, but leave it overnight and it won't really matter.

soquickwitit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
What do you need a laptop for video conversions for, though? A desktop would be cheaper, and afford you more cpu power and hard drive space. And it would be cheaper.

Conversion time will be a decent wait, but leave it overnight and it won't really matter.

Well. I actually a DJ by night, with my laptop as the music source. So the portability of a laptop is a little better for me.

and i'll be getting the white macbook. Mainly cause the black one seems to cost more and i dont need the HD space it comes with as i have external HD's. thx

karupspc

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
I hope so too

I've been waiting since January for the new MBP. Was hoping it would be announced at the MacWorld ever since then every Tuesday I've been crossing my fingers for the announcement not to mention scanning Macrumor's forums for any new rumors.

Amazon.com dropping the MBP price then adding the $150 rebate, their offer is incredibly too good to pass up. At least I have until I think April to order one. Which means more waiting. I made this long a couple of more weeks won't hurt. Hopefully, the waiting will end on Tuesday!

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
First off, congratulations on your future Macbook!

My input is very simple. Blu-Ray files are big files, and require a big harddrive and a good computer, IF you have the money i'd go with the small-end Macbook PRO since it has a dedicated graphicscard and a bigger screen. It might be needed for converting Blu-Ray files. It would atleast speed the process up alot.

I'm sure you will be happy with your final decision.

(They are probably updating the Macbook PRO-line this tuesday) so if you decide to get the smaller-end Pro, I suggest you wait untill they are purchaseable.

Arkbargle

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
IF you have the money i'd go with the small-end Macbook PRO since it has a dedicated graphicscard and a bigger screen. It might be needed for converting Blu-Ray files. It would atleast speed the process up alot.

No, it won't. The increased CPU power will do slightly, but the GPU and screen certainly won't.

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
No, it won't. The increased CPU power will do slightly, but the GPU and screen certainly won't.

For some reason the Macbook is better than the MBP in stuff like rendering pictures / RAW-files. But the MBP is better in converting videos including Blu-Ray with a dedicated graphicscard. It's 2.2ghz in both Macbook and the low-end MBP. Screen will be nice if youre gonna watch them (and to have an increased workarea) since I belive you will do other stuff then converting from time to time?

You will be happy with any of em, great machines.

Arkbargle

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
For some reason the Macbook is better than the MBP in stuff like rendering pictures / RAW-files. But the MBP is better in converting videos including Blu-Ray with a dedicated graphicscard. It's 2.2ghz in both Macbook and the low-end MBP. Screen will be nice if youre gonna watch them (and to have an increased workarea) since I belive you will do other stuff then converting from time to time?

You will be happy with any of em, great machines.

Most video encoders run purely on the CPU. A GPU in that case wouldn't do anything for reencoding video. It might lift some other, unrelated work off the CPU and RAM, but that's it. In any case, not worth the price if that's the sole reason to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.