Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I estimate that over 4000 people will try to get online to the boards for WWDC...and the servers are struggling already with 800-something browsing. Yeah, yeah, I know, this happens every expo. Well, should it really? Other than blocking people from getting in, can't we get more traffic here without getting busy signals like the "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later" message? You don't see DeviantART.com get busy signals (though they perform some stupid maintenance every 3 minutes).

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Faster servers and more bandwidth costs money.

More people need to contribute. Myself included.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Thirteenva said:
Faster servers and more bandwidth costs money.

More people need to contribute. Myself included.

Yeah, after being on the boards for a few years, I kinda feel like a schlep for not donating yet. Maybe at the end of the summer (after i get my new powerbook ;))

edit: WOAH! after checking, I just realized I'm approaching my 4yr anniversary!

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
This is the reason I will be reading MacRumors at 1 AM during WWDC. Anything other than that, I can't even load the page.

Oh, and WWDC is the reason I will be spending less time around MacRumors and more time at places like Apple and SpyMac.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
Mudbug said:
you'd rather wait for spymac to load than watch the low-bandwidth version of macrumors load? If you're that desperate for up-to-the-second info, I'd suggest the #macrumors IRC channel.
yah spymac is realy slow as it is. and curently there are 3,722 people on spymac id expect that to at least triple at wwdc

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Mudbug said:
you'd rather wait for spymac to load than watch the low-bandwidth version of macrumors load? If you're that desperate for up-to-the-second info, I'd suggest the #macrumors IRC channel.

nahh, what I ment was that on Mac rumors sites, I spend all my time exclusively on MacRumors.com. But now that WWDC is just around the corner, I will try spend more time on other rumor site (or where ever) rather that MR.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I really want to help. I have server sapce in the UK. I'd be happy to set up some sort of mirror service.

Mind you, I usppose its a bit late now that we are approaching WWDC in a couple of days///

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
asif786 said:
I really want to help. I have server sapce in the UK. I'd be happy to set up some sort of mirror service.

Mind you, I usppose its a bit late now that we are approaching WWDC in a couple of days///

That won't work for the forums unfortunately - it would require multiple servers in the same place. The main site is usually fine during the keynote but the forums would die very quickly.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Knox said:
That won't work for the forums unfortunately - it would require multiple servers in the same place. The main site is usually fine during the keynote but the forums would die very quickly.

Yeah, It's a shame. Maybe Arn & I can work on something to put in place over the next six months or so for MWSF.

I love powering mirror sites. I remember once getting a £3,000 bill at rackspace, lol :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.