Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerButton

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2022
Too many are being taken in by the term AI, as if its something with consciousness when it isn't. Alan Turing first commented in the 1950's often using the term 'intelligent machinery'.

AI has been around for decades, and even now, the basis for it is stored human interaction and decision making, and can have the same human mistakes, as shown many times.

Even lauded as revolutionary in diagnostic X-rays it relies on input from countless medical practitioners, some right, some wrong, and whilst we celebrate currently the medical ailments picked up by AI, its worth noting that with regards for instance to cancers, its not so long ago that misdiagnosis of for example prostate cancer was shown to be giving false positives, where many were told they had cancer, but didn't, but the only time we realised that was after the event.

Yes, AI may offer opportunity, but not necessarily opportunity for everyone.

If you input multiple data sources, for example with regards to medical diagnosis, you will inevitably be including data from those who misdiagnosed in the first place.

We have a long long way to go before the term 'artificial' intelligence becomes intelligence!

Many suggest there will be no job losses from current AI, which is not the case, already within technology alone, jobs are being lost to AI, where for example 'narrative' creators and the gaming industry has seen multiple layoffs, and where its not just over hiring during lockdown that has caused it. Yes AI may be refined but it will take less people to refine even current AI than the number of personnel previously employed, but not necessarily producing a better product.

Even the Artificial intelligence is a misnomer really, as its neither artificial nor true intelligence, as otherwise it would not rely on massive data banks derived from PEOPLE.

Of course vested interest will tell us its the best thing since sliced bread, albeit its worth pointing out that most sliced bread is mass produced and often ultra processed and not that good for us.

I'm not a luddite as during my many years I've embraced technology and scientific advancement, and still will, but also during my many years I've seen a few people do very well in convincing others of the merits of this or that and for example the billions spent on the Millennium bug that was never going to be a real problem, and had such easy and cheap remedy, but politicians were convinced, rather like 'in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king', and some did really well financially, and I doubt 'AI' will be any different, unless of course we have consciousness in a truly intelligent computer, which is unlikely for the foreseeable future. Even quantum computing is unlikely to be anything like a sentient human being, and why should it when scientists don't even know how consciousness works.

Indeed Sir Roger Penrose, a polymath, has some very interesting ideas, and where newtonian physicists were very sceptical, as some of the quantum phenomena that Einstein referred to as 'spooky science', puts a lot of newtonian physics and theorems back in the melting pot.

When Stuart Hameroff and Sir Roger suggested that microtubules in the brain were capable of quantum function, it was roundly suggested to be wrong.....except of course that subsequently not only was it confirmed they were capable of quantum function but were in fact subject to quantum vibration raising multiple possibilities.

So we're a long way from solving human consciousness the basis for decision making that we make, let alone having artificial intelligence.
I completely agree, AI is great as data driven tasks and amalgamations.
What it doesn’t do is critical thinking, complex problem-solving, and creativity. The algorithms haven’t really changed that much over the years, just the amount of data and processing speed of that data.

PowerButton

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2022
This is almost like Wall•E. Machines do the thinking, and humans too dumb to do anything anymore. LOL
In some ways yes, in some ways no. As long as people continue to ask question, not just “what” but “how” and “why” they’ll continue to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.