Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Matthew Cassinelli, one of the minds behind Workflow, joins us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to talk Apple Shortcuts and potential improvements and AI features coming to the app in iOS 18.

Workflow was a unique iOS app that allowed users to create macros for executing specific sequential tasks on their device. In 2017, Apple acquired Workflow and, the following year, it was rebranded as "Shortcuts." Shortcuts have since become a key part of Apple's ecosystem and can be used for a huge range of powerful, automated actions. Matthew was present at Workflow throughout its transition to Apple and now offers his own library of complex Shortcuts, which you can access over on his website.

Last year, a report from The Information claimed that iOS 18 will introduce some major AI features to Siri and the Shortcuts app. Apple apparently wants ‌Siri‌ to be able to help users automate complex, multi-step tasks with voice-based commands and have much deeper integration with Shortcuts, such as by potentially helping users build them.

We break down Apple Shortcuts for beginners and look at some of the many use-cases for the app, as well as consider where it could go next with AI. The MacRumors Show is now on its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about Apple's recently rumored "personal robotics" projects, iOS 17.5, Apple Pencil rumors, and more.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is on X @MacRumorsShowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast. You can also head over to... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Apple Shortcuts and iOS 18 ft. Matthew Cassinelli

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
This article describes what I believe to be the most important use of AI for the consumer sector. So far…

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Its a really nice system…but you don't necessarily need AI for a lot of this functionality. This just makes it much more accessible for the consumer.

Security? I think security and privacy will become more and more critical as AI becomes incorporated in almost every aspect of the OS.

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
IMG_3472.jpeg
Nailed it

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpeg
    IMG_3472.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 273

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
We dont want workflow... we need more Coverflow...

Another Apple thing that was hit by patent issues...

But more than AI... I wish they would really explore an alternative visual desktop experience...

Yes, it works... but as a consumer product they could really look into an alternative UI you can switch to thats exciting and different...

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades
We dont want workflow... we need more Coverflow...

Another Apple thing that was hit by patent issues...

But more than AI... I wish they would really explore an alternative visual desktop experience...

Yes, it works... but as a consumer product they could really look into an alternative UI you can switch to thats exciting and different...
You say "We" but should have said "I". You don't speak for us.

tomchr9

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2024
Apple has been feature stalling for years:mad:. There are already many features on Android that should have been implemented on iOS, but all we get are tiny, restricted scraps. And then is the waiting for the next iOS, hoping that next time it will be better...sigh

The increased platform fragmentation due to product segmentation makes things worse. Jailbreaking actually help curb these limitations, since you had the ability to install [missing] features that improved the iOS experience and brought order to the cumbersome mess that iOS has become. Simplicity and consistency has taken a nose dive. The Veblen attribute has been leading the development.

AI will not substancially improve usability and feature set for the experienced consumers. These users already know what iOS is lacking. In fact, it will stifle feature implementation and increase the likelyhood of paywalled services. Why? Apple's focus has never been the empowerment of users. Apple will use AI to enhance the appeal for potential new users, while artificially restrict and increase lockin of current users. The iPhone is first and foremost a fortified gateway into Apple's portfolio of paywalled services.

Apple has been succesfully sitting on their hands for many years, and I do not think that things will change any time soon. Maybe EU legislation will open up for more user choice, but I think we have to wait until iOS 20 for any substantial improvements. And with choice comes the unfortuate situation that users will have to actively weed out all the crap being thrown at them, but that is the price we have to pay for Apple's stubbornness and negligence when it comes to refining iOS. Lock Screen limited to 6 boring fonts? Widgets? Emojis? GMAFB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray2

slkjflla

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
I like shortcuts but, from my experience, the majority of my family and friends do not use them. Most aren't even aware of them

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Pimmp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2018
Only shortcut I used was Overlay Images shortcut but it stopped working in iOS 17.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.